Backyard grassers must have come to the sale.

Help Support CattleToday:

A few young pairs today brought $3450. They were worth the money considering.
Buyer got me 10 more good light steers. 4 at 345 lbs cost $5.45. Average on all was 390 and $5.0225

2250 lb bull got to $2.13 and best cows that I saw sell went to $1.94.

A fun year to be in the business. Who knows what next fall will bring.

Am I reading that right? 9 weight steers were over $3? And same for heifers? Canadian money or US money? I forget who is Canadian.
That is the report from the Kamloops sale. Last time I drove through Kamloops it was in BC. So Canadian dollars. Ballpark exchange rate it works out to $2.28 in US dollars.

Ya know, we are all salivating over the prices at the moment. If you take inflation into consideration, the new pricing won't be all that great for long. Right now it's just playing catch up for the last 8 years.
yes.. everything has doubled or more.. to be with inflation.. we would need 2400 dollar calves to be where we were at before. This.. "these prices are crazy" isn't true.. they are low.

When I go to buy a roll of barb wire.. and its 80 bucks.. thats crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I reading that right? 9 weight steers were over $3? And same for heifers? Canadian money or US money? I forget who is Canadian.
@gcreekrch , @Silver , @daneg are all in the western side of Canada, so their prices are in Canadian dollars. Also @Dubcharo is in Canada on the eastern side.... I think @Nesikep is in Canada... or was... not sure exactly where he is working now....

Also @Farm Family is in Canada ....

Last edited:
Ultimately, cattle are only worth what people can or will pay for beef. Sometimes extremely high prices in the short run are harmful to long term profits.
Too often, when prices get too high, it is the farmer or cattleman that takes the hit. It should not be that way, but it is.
I guess this is the price we pay for our independence.
How much we spend to produce a pound of cattle really has no bearing on what it is worth.

Once the price at the grocery store gets so high people can't afford it, and buy other meat instead, and the demand for cattle isn't there anymore, the market will collapse, and prices will return to normal.
People are still buying tobacco, booze, drugs, jewelry, tattoos, vacations, televisions and all sorts of other luxuries so I guess food hasn't gotten too high yet.

In 1974 my dad sold calves at $1lb
Took his calf check and bought. A brand new chev heavy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck for less then $7400 out the door.
Same truck would be more than 10 times that price today.
We aren't anywhere near $10 lb for calves right now. Not even getting 1/3 of that today. So explain to me exactly how are todays price for beef out of wack?🤔

I think it was around 2005, 06, 07 ish we were getting in the upper 90cents per pound. It was a bad drought too and we considered ourselves lucky to get $500 a calf.

Can you imagine that now? I wonder how many gooseneck trailers and Kubota tractors would get repoed.

Ya know, we are all salivating over the prices at the moment. If you take inflation into consideration, the new pricing won't be all that great for long. Right now it's just playing catch up for the last 8 years.
I've been saying the same thing, with $4,000+ an acre pasture, $60 hay, $15 cubes, $5 T posts, $100 wire.... $1,200 for a calf ain't much money

I've been saying the same thing, with $4,000+ an acre pasture, $60 hay, $15 cubes, $5 T posts, $100 wire.... $1,200 for a calf ain't much money
In my area you just have to like cattle. There are lots of things that pay better with less expense.

Took his calf check and bought. A brand new chev heavy 3/4 ton 4x4 truck for less then $7400 out the door.
We aren't anywhere near $10 lb for calves right now. Not even getting 1/3 of that today. So explain to me exactly how are todays price for beef out of wack?🤔
It is an old joke, but is worth repeating.

In 1974, you could sell a load of calves and buy a brand new 1974 pickup.
In 2024, you can sell a load of calves . . . And buy a 1974 pickup

I don't think anything has kept up with the inflation on vehicles, they are way overpriced and people just keep buying them and making payments longer and longer.
My Dad taught high school auto body all my childhood and before I was born, he started in 74 I believe. He ordered a brand new corvette same year and it only cost about 60% of his first year's salary, now it would almost take 3 years of a teacher's salary to buy a corvette. It would take a full year of a teacher's salary to buy almost any decent, basic new car today. Vehicle prices are out of control.
I heard a girl on tik tok talking about her and her husbands vehicles, they financed a new top of the line GM truck and a new Tahoe for around $160,000 @ 14% interest, payment is around $3,000/month for them. Been paying on them for 2 years now and still owe almost what they gave, THAT IS FREAKING INSANE.

Latest posts