Hauling calf w/ cow & steer = trailer retrofit question

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
OK, here's the deal. When I haul that little bull to OR next weekend, I might also haul back a cow w/ 3-week calf, plus a 700 lb. steer. My stock trailer is a 16 ft. bumper pull Titan.

My dilemna is this: Kinda concerned about a calf trompeling issue, besides lots of movement in the trailer. Would prefer to use the center divider. Could crowd big in the front section and baby inthe back. Or maybe mama and baby would haul just fine in the front section? (That didn't seem so smart.) So then I gave it some more thought . . . .

Titan has that sort of flattened-V nose. Maybe a hinged panel with at least 2 ft. of solid side at the bottom edge, that would lock right ahead of the man-door; scoot the calf in via the man-door and into the little space. ?? But it would be a little space -- like stand up, turn around & lay down space. Cow next in line (she's not a huge mama), and steer in the back section.

Son is a machinest and good welder. Has anyone done this before? Workable? How'd you do it? Got pics? As always, appreciate your thoughts and sage advice!

I haul mammas and babies together in the front section of my trailer all the time with no problems. Unless the mamma cow is wild and crazy, I don't see a problem.
Or just putting the cow and steer up front with calf in back. If it makes you feel better, that works well also.
How long of a drive do you have?

branguscowgirl":yimf1jj5 said:
I haul mammas and babies together in the front section of my trailer all the time with no problems. Unless the mamma cow is wild and crazy, I don't see a problem.
Or just putting the cow and steer up front with calf in back. If it makes you feel better, that works well also.
About 6 hrs., branguscowgirl. I'm probably way over-thinking this! ;)

I like hauling calves under a couple hundred pounds separate from bigger animals... I'd probably put the cow and steer up front with the calf in the back

Personally, I tend to be on the "better safe than sorry" way of thinking. I would put the cow and steer in one compartment and the calf in the other. It will be fine for 6 hours without its mother.

Just my 2 cents.

Kathie in Thorp":drga6cj9 said:
branguscowgirl":drga6cj9 said:
About 6 hrs., branguscowgirl. I'm probably way over-thinking this! ;)
Yep, you are. The only time I would worry about mamma stepping on the baby is if she gets really agitated being hauled, and the baby needs to lay down on a longer drive. If Mammas are halter broke, I go ahead and tie them and leave the calf loose.
Again, because it is 6 hrs., you can put baby in the back so it can lay down without a worry. :D

I've hauled cows with calves on my trailer several times and for as long as 14 hours. Never had one stepped on but I would say a wild cow might do it. A calm cow who is a good protective mother will never step on its calf unless you get to driving too crazy. I generally put two calm mothers with there babies in each 8 foot section of my trailer if they're over about three days old.

Think stress on them, not on you. Mom and baby are happiest together! Put the steer by himself, he's old enough to handle some stress.
When I haul young pairs I'll load the cows up front and hold back one gentle one as a babysitter and I've never had a problem doing it that way.

cow pollinater":17m7u9t8 said:
Think stress on them, not on you. Mom and baby are happiest together! Put the steer by himself, he's old enough to handle some stress.
When I haul young pairs I'll load the cows up front and hold back one gentle one as a babysitter and I've never had a problem doing it that way.
I am thinking "stress on them," CP. Also want to be safe -- never know what's going to happen in traffic. Thinking it will be the big kids in the front compartment, and baby in the other roomy space to itself. Trailer is only a 16-footer. But the back seat of my Dodge 2500 "sports car," -- that is absolutely not in the equation! ;-)

Latest posts