HAIR

Help Support CattleToday:

Early hair-shedding is a very positive selection criteriaion for breeding and for adaptability and fertility. Early hair-shedding heifers reach sexual maturity long before the slow hair-shedding heifers.

Bonsman":32f3mq4c said:
Early hair-shedding is a very positive selection criteriaion for breeding and for adaptability and fertility. Early hair-shedding heifers reach sexual maturity long before the slow hair-shedding heifers.
parasite control plays a role in shedding the hair coat too

I'm slicking off from the top down-I lost a bunch of hair from that chemo deal but if anything it grew back thicker. I wouldn't reccommend it for a hair restoration plan. There is more to cold tolerance than long hair-when clipping cattle to brand I see quit a variation in hair density. Kind of like closed vs open fleeced sheep.

Northern Rancher":1qsp35az said:
I'm slicking off from the top down-I lost a bunch of hair from that chemo deal but if anything it grew back thicker. I wouldn't reccommend it for a hair restoration plan. There is more to cold tolerance than long hair-when clipping cattle to brand I see quit a variation in hair density. Kind of like closed vs open fleeced sheep.

I think that is correct. They should shed early in the spring on a fixed pattern. The first hair to be shed is hair on the top of the neck and crest and all along the spine to the tailsetting. This narrow line widens from the top downwards toward the mid-rib region. The shedding of hair on the lower belly region proceeds upwards. The last hair to be shed is on the medial line of the mid-rib region.

Latest posts