Sim Angus Hair Coats ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer":2lzwcmr0 said:
Whether cows are slick or wooly every year or not depends on a lot of things environmentally but the reason that they are hairy some or all years still goes back to the genetic potential to express it when stress or factors cause the expression.

I know it is not fair - - but I have been comparing SA heifers to HerfxAugus heifers.
Both sets are in great condition, but the hair is totally different.

Article in Cow Country News, July 2016.

Dealing with the Effects of Fescue Toxicosis
Dr. Arnold, DVM, UK.

Explains the physiology of the failure to shed. The ergot alkaloid (ergovaline) is a powerful vasoconstrictor. Nasty issue. Clipping the seed heads takes care of a significant portion of the problem.

you guys all say you deworm twice a year. just curious, has anyone ran any fecals to see if the dewormers are working? especially those that are holding hair.
using pour on, drench, injectables?
name brand, off brand?

I guess this is for my own curiosity and for those that are not on fescue pasture.

I feel there are many factors that determine if a cow sheds or not. I believe stress has an effect and genetics also. In the herd I'm associated with every since I've been involved she has had one cow that never sheds completely. She stays in moderate flesh but never fat. Breeds back like clock work and raises a nice calf. We've had her on ankle deep wheat in the winter and good grass in the summer and no fescue. She will be sold in the next 1-2 years due to age. One of her heifers seemed to be like her and the other slick. Her recent steer calf was slick.

Latest posts