Sim Angus Hair Coats ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I bought some un weaned Sim Angus heifers last fall. They are longer and more muscular than my British calves, and looked great on the cow. Now they have been on good pasture for about 6 weeks and they still have a rough hair coat. Most of my English calves have slicked up. Did I buy some hard keepers or is there another explanation?

I have a Sim Angus & a purebred Angus that still have nappy coats - and it's freakishly hot here. I have no clue why. All our cattle are worked/wormed at the same time, all have full access to protein tubs & medicated mineral. ????

I only have one here thats still scruffy and he's a lunger, so Im attributing it to his poor health, but he's acting fine and gaining weight.

Generally speaking though, hair condition has a direct correlation to health and wellness... But its def a multi piece puzzle narrowing down which factor is the cause.

Some reading:

http://webdoc.agsci.colostate.edu/ansc/ ... hair13.pdf

I've still got some sporting long hair as well. I'm pretty sure they are not wormy, too good of condition for what little they are eating. They will come up some mornings, but are not too enthused about coming up when called of the evening. Shade feels too good I guess.
You have them on fescue?

Our pastures are mainly native/prairie with a lot of johnson grass around the lake. Bales are primarily brome & alfalfa with a little prairie. Cubes are 20% protein, tubs are 30% & mineral with CTC. Both dams have slick coats so I wouldn't think it's genetic. Supa Dexta's link mentioned a rust colored coat & possible copper deficiency - my two nappy girls have a reddish tinge. Hmmm . . . .

If you like that I might have some semen in the tank of SM bulls that can keep the hair going for you. :nod: Don't remember if I threw it out or not. That was one reason we quit AIing with them some years ago - hair and extremely poor fit on fescue for given genetics.

I know I have some cows with a little Sim in them. How much I couldn't say for sure, but I wouldn't think it was a whole lot since there was never a Sim bull here. Here meaning on my Grandpa and Dad's farm over the years, and no AI'ing from Sim bulls. What cows that I think have a little Sim were bought from a couple different guys, including some from the SMS sale years ago.
There is maybe three cows in the bunch that is holding on to a little hair yet, but improving. The rest are as smooth as a babies butt. One of the bred heifers is holding onto some hair, quite a bit actually, and they were bought recently. So, no, I don't believe it to be my genetics alone either. Fescue, I'm told regularly. Yours, I don't know, other than what Ebenezer linked or similar.
I would like to know myself, as they would be much more comfortable without it right now.
I noticed a few fescue heads with the ergo in it yesterday. I want to clip, but with no rain, I don't know if that's a good idea either.

Fire Sweep is participating in a study involving thousands of cows. The study focuses on retention of pelage and how it is affected by endophytic fescue. I happen to be taking two bulls to her when a gentleman was there rating her herd for retention of pelage. He used a score of 1 to 5. A 1 is mostly shed and slick and 5 is full coat. I will send her a text to check this thread.

PS: my cattle are Simmental and Simangus. They have fully shed. Several of Kris' cows still have retained pelage. She has lots of endophytic fescue. My pasture is much more diverse.

I have used Multi Min in the past on red/rough hair coats and had good results. I gave these heifers some in late winter and did not see an effect. I will try Safeguard and see what happens.

What makes me scratch my head is when everything in the pasture looks awesome except one cow as she looks like a buffalo with all the long cull colored hair. Good body condition, bred but just looks like trash. They have good pasture, good mineral, are wormed at least twice a year so I dont' think it's nutrition.

TexasBred":11dg3dcg said:
What makes me scratch my head is when everything in the pasture looks awesome except one cow as she looks like a buffalo with all the long cull colored hair. Good body condition, bred but just looks like trash. They have good pasture, good mineral, are wormed at least twice a year so I dont' think it's nutrition.

Always like that? Are you going to cull her?

TexasBred":3f8y1yee said:

Genetics. When the gene dice rolled she got the long hair from a long dead ancestor.

Stocker Steve":s5n6k38n said:
TexasBred":s5n6k38n said:

Always like that? Are you going to cull her?
No way. She's a good cow. Just doesn't have the prettiest hair in the pasture. :lol:

TexasBred":zhteofpa said:

The worst one here last year was 138. This year it is cow 139. Hard to say it's necessarily genetic when it's not always the same cow?

I won't cull them for it either, not when next year they may shed off real quick. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I've got two more that were fine last year, and are pretty scruffy looking right now, but not the worst. Both raised good calves,and didn't get pulled down real hard before weaning. Vacc. and wormer twice a year. Mineral out all the time. Tubs in winter. May be a combination of all of it, genetics, worms, nutrition, trace mineral lacking somewhat? Or a case of, It is what it is, and just go on.

I have had the same problem the last 2 years. Last year's calves were bad light as well. This year weights were better but coats pretty much the same. I keep out the best mineral I can buy and have tried 4 brands with no difference. My SA bull is going up for sale after he services a few summer breeders. Got a Brangus bull lined up to lease for winter breeding. Maybe he won't add too much ear but pull the hair off of them. Sold these Monday. 2 did well and 2 brought 85-95 cents per lb.

There seems to be a direct correlation between hair shedding and fescue toxicity. Living in the heart of fescue country, I tend to agree. The cattle that hold their hair longer tend to take longer to breed back, seem hotter in the summer, and just don't do as well.
The University of Missouri is doing a huge research study trying to link hair shedding to a specific DNA marker. Several months ago they sent out a large announcement that they want producers that have registered stock to sign up and participate to help them with this task. The only commitment needed from me is to take a hair score each year, in May or June, and report it to them, hopefully following the same cows for at least 3 to 4 years. In return, they will run a complete Genome on the cattle enrolled and report it to the registry. A complete genome on a cow is not cheap, and I would love to have my entire herd done for free, so I signed up (this way I know who is hetero black, hetero polled, and many other things). It was pretty simple and painless, and I look forward to getting the data back on my cows. I have a good idea on what cows are susceptible to fescue, and am curious if I am correct in my thinking.
BTW, it is not just simmental cattle that have a problem with shedding. It is in most breeds to a certain extent. I believe they will prove it is a genetic factor, and can be selected against if we can come up with a marker for it (or even EPD). They know that not only does the fescue tend to make them hold their hair, but gains are lower and milk can be suppressed on fescue. It is a wicked thing if the cow can not deal with the toxins, and seems to have a varying degree of tolerance in different cattle. It is not an "all or none" option.

I don't believe there is a correlation between shedding hair and fescue toxicity since I don't have any fescue here, yet I have two Angus cows that didn't shed their winter coat despite of having loose minerals, dewormed, vaccinated and on a good forage.

Not sure we have a handle on "good forage."
I compared some dry lot yearlings, and cows (from same winter herd) on two different pasture mixes. Seems like more legume and less residual means more hair.
Do you think there is more energy needed to slick up hair coats?

There seems to be a direct correlation between hair shedding and fescue toxicity. Living in the heart of fescue country, I tend to agree. The cattle that hold their hair longer tend to take longer to breed back, seem hotter in the summer, and just don't do as well.
In a high percentage of cattle, yes. There are more than one hair type in cows - no surprise. Some with "fuzz" are OK and need to be bred to slick haired bulls every year to change the calves. The oddity we have is a cow out of a well known Rito and she is a hair ball and breeds like a clock and raises a nice calf. But she was out of a cow on the farm that was generations into sort and cull for environmental fit.

Whether cows are slick or wooly every year or not depends on a lot of things environmentally but the reason that they are hairy some or all years still goes back to the genetic potential to express it when stress or factors cause the expression.

Latest posts