Speaking of heads.... heifer with hair bangs

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
Knersie and others where speaking of the significance of head shape in a heifer in the Hereford thread below.

The discussion reminded me of one of my heifers. I have this one registered Hereford heifer I bought last fall that has a very different "hairdo" from my others. She seems to have hair "bangs" like right out of a 1950's movie.

I was wondering if this has any significance. I recall something about a bull's hair whorl on his head as being indicative of his disposition but I don't recall anything about heifer's bangs!

Here are a couple pictures of her note the bangs. Any significance? This is different than any of my other heifers' head hair.

IMG_3069_Heifer55_030511.jpg

IMG_3064_Heifer55_030511.jpg

Thank you.

Jim

That ain't good Jim, we have our Bangs tested before we buy em. :nod: :lol:

Isomade":x1peetr3 said:
That ain't good Jim, we have our Bangs tested before we buy em. :nod: :lol:

Very good one. I sure wish I had thought of that one first :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

has she got some Huth breeding? we had a Huth bred cow and her calf (by Magnum 434) had the same 'doo' :)

robert":zsl2g4ce said:
has she got some Huth breeding? we had a Huth bred cow and her calf (by Magnum 434) had the same 'doo' :)

She is out of an EFBeef cow sired by the Huth Oak bull but I looked back a long ways and don't see Magnum or much other Huth breeding in her pedigree.

How did your cow and her calf work out? Do you see any other significance to the hairdo?

She is very feminine and while it is tough to tell in the pasture conditions we have now and being on hay only while outwintering through a tough winter, she seems to me to be turning into a decent heifer. Very good udder and structure and able to fill out some through a cold winter.

She is bred to Huth's Stacked Deck bull and should calve around May 1.

PS she was "bangs" immunized as a calf. Evidently didn't immunize her hair ;)

Jim

unfortunately she didn't work out too well, got a heifer calf out of her (the one with the doo) couldn't get her rebred, tried 3 or 4 times on AI, she went for beef. Her daughter had a bull calf, we steered him, she also failed to rebreed, even with exposure to bull after AI. No ticket, no meal here. Not a knock on Huth's program, I like their cattle a lot, this one just didn't adapt I guess.

3waycross":3c7y03pq said:
Heck Jim yer gonna need to get her some bobby sox and a poodle skirt..

And some saddle oxfords. That's a good looking heifer, Jim. I actually was expecting Cousin It instead of John Denver.

robert":f1r1w5hu said:
unfortunately she didn't work out too well, got a heifer calf out of her (the one with the doo) couldn't get her rebred, tried 3 or 4 times on AI, she went for beef. Her daughter had a bull calf, we steered him, she also failed to rebreed, even with exposure to bull after AI. No ticket, no meal here. Not a knock on Huth's program, I like their cattle a lot, this one just didn't adapt I guess.

Sorry to hear that. This one was palpated as bred by my vet on our fall run through. I am looking forward to seeing her "Stacked Deck" calf. Huth's bulls that I have used have always been super fertile with an upper range SC. I am trying to get most calves born in one cycle 21 days and from my experienced vet's palp preg check results it looks like it will be very close. Not an open cow or heifer in the bunch. I've been very happy with the Huth genetics I've had so far.

Jim

3waycross":1ueglzj6 said:
Since no one else will say it. NICE EYES!

Acceptable eyes, but you need more eye brow development to create a more hooded eye for it to be really nice eyes.

Jim those bangs as you call it is usually a very good indication of scurs, have a feel on her head next time you have her in the chute, it may vary anything from a rough spot on the skin, to a scur that you can wiggle to a horn like growth in various stages of attachment to the skull.

KNERSIE":3salf3wz said:
3waycross":3salf3wz said:

Acceptable eyes, but you need more eye brow development to create a more hooded eye for it to be really nice eyes.

Jim those bangs as you call it is usually a very good indication of scurs, have a feel on her head next time you have her in the chute, it may vary anything from a rough spot on the skin, to a scur that you can wiggle to a horn like growth in various stages of attachment to the skull.

Knersie, if I remember your criteria, the angle of the lash(which she has), the hooded eye(which she could use more of) and Pigment(which she has) were the criteria for eyes on a hereford.

Pardon me for thinking that 2 out of 3 factors was enough to give her a compliment on the eyes..........I, by the way NEVER said really nice.

3waycross":w5qr1pqu said:
KNERSIE":w5qr1pqu said:
3waycross":w5qr1pqu said:

Knersie, if I remember your criteria, the angle of the lash(which she has), the hooded eye(which she could use more of) and Pigment(which she has) were the criteria for eyes on a hereford.

Pardon me for thinking that 2 out of 3 factors was enough to give her a compliment on the eyes..........I, by the way NEVER said really nice.

Bad night's sleep?

3waycross":3462qkjx said:
Not really, just waking up to a spanking, that sets me off!

You call that a spanking?!! Never pictured you as a big ole softy, Vic :hide:

KNERSIE":1mzs71h4 said:
3waycross":1mzs71h4 said:
Not really, just waking up to a spanking, that sets me off!

You call that a spanking?!! Never pictured you as a big ole softy, Vic :hide:

OK fine!.........maybe I am. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

KNERSIE":2nyc49c1 said:

Thank you. That makes sense. I will check during spring workup. As you may recall, my T-21 bull had scurs and really not a problem. I am familiar with scurs. Probably the only reason I was able to buy him at a reasonable price. He did throw a horned calf now and then, depending on the cow I guess.

I came across this article on scurs which I found interesting. This is the same author of a good line breeding page.

http://www.witherspoonsherefords.com/WNH_WEB7.HTM

Thanks for your reply.

Jim

SRBeef":2gfns2w9 said:
KNERSIE":2gfns2w9 said:

Thank you. That makes sense. I will check during spring workup. As you may recall, my T-21 bull had scurs and really not a problem. I am familiar with scurs. Probably the only reason I was able to buy him at a reasonable price. He did throw a horned calf now and then, depending on the cow I guess.

I came across this article on scurs which I found interesting. This is the same author of a good line breeding page.

http://www.witherspoonsherefords.com/WNH_WEB7.HTM

Thanks for your reply.

Jim
Are they still in business?

I'll take both those articles with a pinch of salt if I was you.

Latest posts