HAIR

Help Support CattleToday:

ANAZAZI

Reaction score
I like when cattle slick off smooth and early, I think those cattle are the fittest and strongest. Do not mind if they have lots of hair in winter. Comments on this?

ANAZAZI":1s47g1mf said:
I like when cattle slick off smooth and early, I think those cattle are the fittest and strongest.

I think these are the animals that are best adapted to your system. In my case that means cool season grass grazing. I try to select for calm heifers in the fall, growthy heifers on winter forage, and slick heifers in the spring.

While the calm heifers are usually also growthy - - the slick heifers seem to be on the smaller lighter boned side. Any thoughts on this?

we have one cow that doesn't completely lose all her winter hair. she looks fuzzy around the middle. I think she is red angus (not sure though) she raises one heck of a calf and is probably one of our heavier cow's. She is the first one to stand in a pond too! all our cow's get wormed twice a year.

More comments on this , now that andybob has published the article about heat tolerance on the everything else board?

Boy, I wish I could grow nice fuzzy hair in the winter and then slick off in the summer only !:banana:

Idaman":1oarz0o8 said:
Boy, I wish I could grow nice fuzzy hair in the winter and then slick off in the summer only !:banana:
That's why I grow a beard every winter

dun":1utjlaj9 said:
Idaman":1utjlaj9 said:

Why not just keep it all year its as big a chore to shave in summer as it is in winter. I can count the occasions when I was completely clean shaven in the last 8 years on on hand.

KNERSIE":jsujmxco said:
dun":jsujmxco said:
Idaman":jsujmxco said:

Why not just keep it all year its as big a chore to shave in summer as it is in winter. I can count the occasions when I was completely clean shaven in the last 8 years on on hand.

Wifes have a certain amount of say in this decision. Don't forget my Indian name is Yes Dear.

KNERSIE":2hf89s7g said:
dun":2hf89s7g said:
Idaman":2hf89s7g said:

I only shave oncce a week (or 2) during the summer. The sweat collects too much in the beard. If I trimmed it so that it had an "appearence" that would be one one thing. But I just let it grow long and shaggy. For winter it's my annual protest to winter, but it sure helps keep the wind off the skin when it's cold.

quackingduck":3ddnegq1 said:
How is you hairy buggers insect resistance?
Mine is great, but it is even without the hair. Now them wimens from MN could probably answer that better then the rest of us

dun":2k08cmba said:
quackingduck":2k08cmba said:
Mine is great, but it is even without the hair. Now them wimens from MN could probably answer that better then the rest of us
thay said you had a pretty good case of crabs and had too use a pour on :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2lg8yizc said:
dun":2lg8yizc said:
quackingduck":2lg8yizc said:
thay said you had a pretty good case of crabs and had too use a pour on :cowboy:
Yeah, the injecitable leaves a lump

Mine is great, but it is even without the hair. Now them wimens from MN could probably answer that better then the rest of us[/quote] thay said you had a pretty good case of crabs and had too use a pour on :cowboy:[/quote]
Yeah, the injecitable leaves a lump[/quote].........................
and burns like a mother scratcher,, the knot is a big turnoff to... looks like a goiter :lol2: