Hair texture

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
Here is a full brother that was born last year at the farm, big sister was the same way when she was born.

Can't complain, calves from this set of parents fill out quickly and gain like crazy.

Sister shed out the curls, but wasn't worried about it either way.

Just thought it was interesting and would share.

Up close

Kristoff at 2 days old

We see that in some of our cows that have simmy in their backgrounds. Seems like you will see it in several continental breeds.

I never seen two different type of hairs on same hide on a cow before. It's interesting that white hair is all straight but the grey hair is all curly. We used to have this old paint mare that have different hair types. Her brown hair is all slick but the white hairs never shed away even in the hot summer. My late grandpa had few Fleck x Angus crosses but they have all same hair type and not two hair types on same hide.

Taurus":te7lewya said:
I never seen two different type of hairs on same hide on a cow before. It's interesting that white hair is all straight but the grey hair is all curly. We used to have this old paint mare that have different hair types. Her brown hair is all slick but the white hairs never shed away even in the hot summer. My late grandpa had few Fleck x Angus crosses but they have all same hair type and not two hair types on same hide.
I've seen that curly and straight combination on char X holstein calves

It's probably a version of rat tail, as only the pigmented hair is affected (white hair is normal in rat tails). Used to see a lot of them, hair ranged from wavy to very short and wiry. White hair was always fine. Nice calf tho. Some of the best cows we had growing up were rat tails.

Latest posts