guess the breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
We had this little heifer calf born last week. Can anyone guess the sire breed? I'll be posting another calf pic by the same sire to help out later.

Any guesses?

heifer2-3.jpg

heifer1-3.jpg

the calf has no floppy ears.but painted up like that im thinking beefmaster.unless you threw the brangus or angus money wrench in it.

3waycross":kx6xmsjn said:
Longhorn :cboy:

In the mix with the first calf, but not the sire. The second gray calf's moma is pictured below. I was told she was a limo, but I'm wondering if anything else was in the woodpile:

Moma of gray calf:

grayandmoma.jpg

The markings also look like Ayrshire or something but the second calf kind of blows that out of the water I would think. I don't know. Can we see a pic of the momma.

Edit: just re-read it and noticed the momma is a longhorn mix, sorry.

Beefy":3t2yxryq said:
angus plus

Beefy, your cheating!

Yep the sire to both is an Angus Plus.

Hard to believe the first spotted calf has over 40% angus in her. Her moma is one of the longhorn's I bought in 2009, pictured below:

longhornmoma.jpg

I originally bought some longhorns last year as a joke almost - the kids wanted cows with lots of color. Last year I also bought a Charolais bull; this spring he's with them for future calves. I only paid $250 each for the longhorns, so I figure I can get my money back pretty quick.

Yes, Beefy, it's my Angus plus that sired these two calves - here he is coming out of the winter:

curly-1.jpg

The plan for this year breeding is to put my charolais bull with the "red" cows (beefmaster, longhorns, limos), and the Angus Plus with the black (commercial brangus) cows or maybe even a couple of the beefmasters. I'm going to try to retain some heifers from the A plus bull. His streak is still intact - no lost calves (out of over 150) - although I did have to pull that gray calf. He is big and the moma was a heifer. Although I'm still keeping options open for a nice hereford to put with the brangus girls for baldies.

cypressfarms":26yi0kji said:
Beefy":26yi0kji said:
angus plus

Beefy, your cheating!

Yep the sire to both is an Angus Plus.

Hard to believe the first spotted calf has over 40% angus in her. Her moma is one of the longhorn's I bought in 2009, pictured below:

longhornmoma.jpg

I originally bought some longhorns last year as a joke almost - the kids wanted cows with lots of color. Last year I also bought a Charolais bull; this spring he's with them for future calves. I only paid $250 each for the longhorns, so I figure I can get my money back pretty quick.

Hello. How old was your longhorn when you got her? Thanks for your post.

Kingfisher":iv1fn0du said:
Hello. How old was your longhorn when you got her? Thanks for your post.

kingf,

I'm really not sure how old they are. The guy that I bought them from said they were all heifers, but that is no indication of age ofcourse. I had posted a string on them last year when I got them. I would guess that they are all under 4 or 5 by looking at their teeth; some aren't even a year old. I think everyone thought I was joking at the time on the boards about buying them. My dad is still mad at me for buying longhorns. I figure that if I can sell a couple of calves from them I'll make the money back, and give my kids something colorfull to look at. I kind of like having something a little different. I promised my kids that if the longhorns had heifer calves that I would keep some to breed. Hopefully crossing them with a charolais will add some meat to their bones.

I know one thing; my donkey tried to attack the longhorn calf and that longhorn moma almost killed the donkey. That's entertainment!

townfarmer":1ckyx2tw said:
Excuse my ignorance but what is "angus plus"? Is that a breed or a term for an angus composite?

Andrew

Everyone seems to call them different things - double black, palmetto supreme, etc. An angus plus is a angus crossed with a brangus, or an angus plus on an angus plus. They are actually registered with the Red Angus assoc. although I've never seen a red angus plus. The advantage to the aplus would be some brahman blood - about 18%, but not so much to get docked (as in having too much ear) To each there own, but he's worked for me for a while. He looks more like an angus, but I've seen aplus' favor a brangus look as well.

Everyone seems to call them different things - double black, palmetto supreme, etc. An angus plus is a angus crossed with a brangus, or an angus plus on an angus plus. They are actually registered with the Red Angus assoc. although I've never seen a red angus plus. The advantage to the aplus would be some brahman blood - about 18%, but not so much to get docked (as in having too much ear) To each there own, but he's worked for me for a while. He looks more like an angus, but I've seen aplus' favor a brangus look as well.

Thanks for the info

Andrew

kenny thomas":fw0040rm said:
Told you that you would like the longhorns. Want to double your money today? They will really work with the Charolais bull.

About the only thing that I don't like is that two of them have a talent for turning their horns sideways and "opening" up a fence. On one side of my property metal t posts face out - not in - and two of the longhorns have figured out how to pop the wire off of the t posts. I had to go back and space out some t posts facing "in". Other than that I like them, they'll live on very little and in the winter when my cows were crying for more hay, the longhorns were still grazing "bad" grass. Definitely make good momas and mine are really tame, but you can't judge a breed by 7 cows. Won't find out until next year how the charolais will cross with them.

Latest posts