guess the breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":tzexueyg said:
Told you that you would like the longhorns. Want to double your money today? They will really work with the Charolais bull.

I wonder how they work with a Beefmaster bull? He is young and not really big framed.

a beefmaster would sure add the pounds crossed over on longhorn cows.but id use a polled bull to get rid of the horns.the calves will hitt the ground running.

cypressfarms":2tevsfcw said:
Kingfisher":2tevsfcw said:
Hello. How old was your longhorn when you got her? Thanks for your post.

kingf,

I'm really not sure how old they are. The guy that I bought them from said they were all heifers, but that is no indication of age ofcourse. I had posted a string on them last year when I got them. I would guess that they are all under 4 or 5 by looking at their teeth; some aren't even a year old. I think everyone thought I was joking at the time on the boards about buying them. My dad is still mad at me for buying longhorns. I figure that if I can sell a couple of calves from them I'll make the money back, and give my kids something colorfull to look at. I kind of like having something a little different. I promised my kids that if the longhorns had heifer calves that I would keep some to breed. Hopefully crossing them with a charolais will add some meat to their bones.
Good morning. lol. I am glad I reread your response. Add some meat to their bones?? I kept looking at that cow and besides someone lopping her horns off ;) :) ( why did you do that? Just the obvious reasons? ) there just seems to be something different about her compared to the Longhorns I see. This morning before I looked at her again I decided shes just fat! Is she pregnant in the picture? Fat in a good way! Must be all that good grass you appear to have in La. My friend Lloyd is from La. Where about are you located ? Thanks in advance.

I know one thing; my donkey tried to attack the longhorn calf and that longhorn moma almost killed the donkey. That's entertainment!

Beefy":2wqfied8 said:
ha! @ palmetto supreme.
A guy I know in Fla. says they use longhorns to clear the woods of palmettos. Another guy I know here in Ga. says you can put longhorns in a pasture and they'll go in the woods and eat all the gallberries and briars before they start eating any grass.

ga.prime":fie35s6r said:
Beefy":fie35s6r said:
ha! @ palmetto supreme.
A guy I know in Fla. says they use longhorns to clear the woods of palmettos. Another guy I know here in Ga. says you can put longhorns in a pasture and they'll go in the woods and eat all the gallberries and briars before they start eating any grass.

Beefy, palmetto supreme is used in place of angus plus - there's a local town called Palmetto - so go figure.

I've actually seen the longhorns go straight to briars before grass. Gets the kids mad because they want all the blackberries they can get.

People poke a lot of fun @ LHs but they've made $ for us, too.
The land we cleared timber from last year and are working to get back to pasture, the plan is to put the LHs on it as soon as we wean their calves to let them keep the vines and brush to a minimum as we get it back in 'good grazing'.
And I LOVE the beef we've gotten from LHxAngus.

cypressfarms":1actu1ca said:
An angus plus is a angus crossed with a brangus, or an angus plus on an angus plus.

I've got a few. I'd prefer to call them a "brangus minus" :D

Latest posts