grossest thing..

Help Support CattleToday:

Chrisy,
I am not a big fan of Indian food. When I was in New Dheli I played it safe with things like curry chicken and ruti bread etc. I did have something that was very spicy. When they noticed that I was struggling with te extra spicy food they ordered me a glass of something like a cross between soured buttermilk and curdled yogurt drink. I took one drink and it was the closest I have ever come to hurling in a resturant. The nasty drink was maybe a cure but it was much worse than the spicy food.

Years ago while undergoing some military survival training I ate some big grub worms and some kind of lizzard. The grubs were alot like you find here in the US......fat, white and full of nasty green goo. Interestingly enough I didn't think that they tasted that bad....not delicious but maybe like a leafy taste. It could have been that I was so hungry that I would have ate the bumper off of a 76 Ford LTD if somebody put mayonaise on it.

HOSS":2e71pt26 said:
Chrisy,
I am not a big fan of Indian food. When I was in New Dheli I played it safe with things like curry chicken and ruti bread etc. I did have something that was very spicy. When they noticed that I was struggling with te extra spicy food they ordered me a glass of something like a cross between soured buttermilk and curdled yogurt drink. I took one drink and it was the closest I have ever come to hurling in a resturant. The nasty drink was maybe a cure but it was much worse than the spicy food.

Years ago while undergoing some military survival training I ate some big grub worms and some kind of lizzard. The grubs were alot like you find here in the US......fat, white and full of nasty green goo. Interestingly enough I didn't think that they tasted that bad....not delicious but maybe like a leafy taste. It could have been that I was so hungry that I would have ate the bumper off of a 76 Ford LTD if somebody put mayonaise on it.
Thankfully I have never been that hungry, not even when we were stranded after the Tsunami. That curdled yogurt drink is if I might be so crude like drinking a cup of sick
puke.gif
, I found just larger was the best for taming down curry and spice and at home and in the States plain milk, wouldn't drink milk in India or any other Oriental Asian Country. and that tooth was in a Chicken Curry.

Yep Chrisy you are right....the curdled yogurt drink did taste like I would envision bad calf scours to taste like. On a good note one of the best dishes I have had in China was in Nanjing. It was broasted pigeons. I could have eaten a whole platter of those. Couple that with some good fried rice with chunks of JinHua ham in it and I was in heaven.

In southern China they are big on turtles. They are small tutles that look like our common greenhead turtle. They steam them in the shell and cut the bottom part of the shell off and serve it in the back shell like a bowl....only the head, feet and tail are hanging out the sides of the "bowl" :shock: Anyway....steamed to me is just a touch better than raw. Not my idea of a delicacy. I like turtle when cooked properly but not steamed and lying on it's back with it's beady little eyes watching me getting ready to put a fork in it.

The dried duck tongues that I mentioned earlier in a post have a wierd taste too. They pull the tongues out of slaughtered ducks and dry them like jerky. Then they season them with red pepper and serve as an appetizer or when drinking the local pijo (beer) Tsing Tao or Harbin.

Pigeon sounds OK think I would try that. In Sri Lanka they had some strange things on the menus, and I was not that adventurous on that Holiday, as I didn't want a jippy tummy as my Daughter was supposed to have been getting married there, and I wanted to have a good time, thankfully I didn't as to what happened, as the toilet facilities were just a hole in the ground, say no more.

HOSS":1sjdsg1w said:
Yep Chrisy you are right....the curdled yogurt drink did taste like I would envision bad calf scours to taste like. On a good note one of the best dishes I have had in China was in Nanjing. It was broasted pigeons. I could have eaten a whole platter of those. Couple that with some good fried rice with chunks of JinHua ham in it and I was in heaven.

In southern China they are big on turtles. They are small tutles that look like our common greenhead turtle. They steam them in the shell and cut the bottom part of the shell off and serve it in the back shell like a bowl....only the head, feet and tail are hanging out the sides of the "bowl" :shock: Anyway....steamed to me is just a touch better than raw. Not my idea of a delicacy. I like turtle when cooked properly but not steamed and lying on it's back with it's beady little eyes watching me getting ready to put a fork in it.

The dried duck tongues that I mentioned earlier in a post have a wierd taste too. They pull the tongues out of slaughtered ducks and dry them like jerky. Then they season them with red pepper and serve as an appetizer or when drinking the local pijo (beer) Tsing Tao or Harbin.
The turtle thig reminded me of Anthony Bourdain eating an armidillo from the shet with the various appendages still attached.

chrisy":2wk7ec7x said:
Pigeon sounds OK think I would try that. In Sri Lanka they had some strange things on the menus, and I was not that adventurous on that Holiday, as I didn't want a jippy tummy as my Daughter was supposed to have been getting married there, and I wanted to have a good time, thankfully I didn't as to what happened, as the toilet facilities were just a hole in the ground, say no more.

Yep toilets in Asia can be anoth horror story. I used to spend about 100 to 150 days annualy in Asia. Over 6 years of that and you see alot of toilets that would make an outhouse in back of a biker bar look sanitary. I used to train my body to answer mother natures call in the morning and late evening so that I had a reasonable chance of being at my hotel room where there was an "American Standard". That said many a time it didn't quite work out like that and I had to use whatever facilities that were handy. Most of the time it was just a small concrete room wth about an 8 inch hole in the middle of the floor. There was sometimes a basket of newspapers for wiping and a bucket of water dipped from the canal for washing. I always brought my own TP and baby wipes. In some of the more "upscale" places there were what I call squat pots or toilets built into the floor below ground level. You have to squat down to do your business.....might be ok for a 5 foot 120 pound Asian guy but try this maneuver when you are 6ft and 235 pounds. Not a pretty sight! I was staying in Changzhou, China once when I got an intestinal parasite from some fruit washed in the local tap water. I had to find a restroom of some type about every 30 minutes. While driving down an interstate I remember we had to stop and bribe a toll booth supervisor to let me use their squat pot. If I had not been so sick I would have whipped his little a$$ for asking for a bribe.....that ain't right to do to anybody needing a bathroom that bad. Too add insult to injury I went to the doc when I got home and she perscribed a medicine called Flagyl. It is an anti-microbial med. I was allergic and all of my joints (including my spine) hurt so bad I couldn't hardly move. She took me off the med and said the microbes would eventually run their course and die. It took me two months to get well.

Yep I can well believe it, when you think (but don't like to) it's no wonder there is an awful smell around. and doesn't bare thinking about trying to lift all of those robes out of the way, yuck!>I think my travelling days to these far off Countries is over.

kenny thomas":3o41udgc said:
I think Hoss and Christy should join forces and start a new show on the travel channel. World's Grossest Foods.
And crappiest crappers

kenny thomas":1bsa02bu said:
That could be two different shows. They would be rich. :banana: :banana:
Na. Think about all the unemployed people there would be, as our stories would turn people off of travel.

chrisy":wts2b1kr said:
kenny thomas":wts2b1kr said:
Na. Think about all the unemployed people there would be, as our stories would turn people off of travel.
It has sure got me turned off from traveling. :( Did not want to go anywhere anyway.

And some peope raise their eyebrows about us good ole boys (aka rednecks) eatin possum. :???:

I'm doing all my traveling in the good old USofA, maybe Canada. Hoss I'm trying to deside if you are adventurous or just plain crazy. :?: :?: :D

Man, if you people ever make fun of lutefisk again, it'll be too soon. The natives in Ak ate things I wouldn't dream of eating. Did eat earth worms once, but they were "cleaned". I had braces back then and it took FOREVER to unravel the worms from the braces, worse than sweet corn.

angie":33bv0u3y said:
Man, if you people ever make fun of lutefisk again, it'll be too soon. The natives in Ak ate things I wouldn't dream of eating. Did eat earth worms once, but they were "cleaned". I had braces back then and it took FOREVER to unravel the worms from the braces, worse than sweet corn.
There's 2 things I wouldn;t expect to see in the same sentence about eating, earth worms and sweet corn

dun":29v3ny23 said:
There's 2 things I wouldn;t expect to see in the same sentence about eating, earth worms and sweet corn
You wouldn't think so, but I have a friend (MM) who eats (more often than I'd imagine she confesses), "things" found in her truck, that she "guesses" to be edible (if she manages to find them before her dog does).

angie":1mt7dxiz said:
dun":1mt7dxiz said:
You wouldn't think so, but I have a friend (MM) who eats (more often than I'd imagine she confesses), "things" found in her truck, that she "guesses" to be edible (if she manages to find them before her dog does).

Does she drag dead animals up on the porch, too?

cfpinz":3u493f9j said:
Does she drag dead animals up on the porch, too?
So, the Steve Erwin of the cattle board, who ordered himself locked inside a small shed with an angry and injured coon wants to poke sticks? Maybe she does pinz, but where she comes from "normal" is another thing altogether ( :help: ), so I just let it slide. :nod:

Ryder":2sskcq7b said:
chrisy":2sskcq7b said:
kenny thomas":2sskcq7b said:
It has sure got me turned off from traveling. :( Did not want to go anywhere anyway.

And some peope raise their eyebrows about us good ole boys (aka rednecks) eatin possum. :???:
If I ever have to travel to one of those places, I'll pack a good suply of sardines, pork-n-beans, and crackers. Love um.

I just joined this thread. You guys are a riot! Hoss - what a surprise! You're an adverturist little bugger. And Christi you're right on his heals. Nice laugh!
I eat raw quahogs (little necks - clams, whatever you want to call them) I'm from Rhode Island, and we call them quahogs! LOVE THEM. slice them open & put some cidar vinegar on it - yum!

Latest posts