GROOMING!! TIPS FOR GROOMING BEEF CATTLE!

Help Support CattleToday:

williams_simmental

Reaction score
I am new new to the show ring.
Any grooming tips, including shaving would be very helpful!!
Pictures, websites..ect.

Thanks!!

Reading is great but watching the real deal will help you more. Even better if you have someone that would agree to take you under their wing and let you watch them prep an animal. Or maybe even hands on "training". Have fun. Met some really great folks in our show population.

X2 to CKC1586s comment.
Each breed does things a little different also. During the summer shows, I shave my Brangus slick. So not much fitting at the shows, which I love. I don't think that I personally would do it, if I had a breed that took a lot of fitting. :D

Weaver halters had a promo on (might still be on) that if you bought a leather halter from them, you could send in for a professional "clipping" poster by some show bigwig..

There is a "Show Board" on this site dedicated to showing cattle - there are a lot of discussions there that you might want to read over. That said, the others are absolutely right - you really need to watch and learn. Your best bet is to find clinics or camps to attend - even if you have to travel some to get there. Many bigger shows and fairs will have demonstrations as well, often shortened versions of the clinics put on by the same pro's. You can get dvd's that are very helpful too, but nothing else compares to a camp/clinic where you take your own calf and learn one on one from pro's.

FireSweep recommended Sullivan's Stock Show University program - it or something similar would be your best bet for getting started. The Stierwalt family from Oklahoma and the May family from Wisconsin put on some excellent clinics in conjunction with Weaver Leather, Purina Feeds and others. There are many others scattered around the country as well. Many agriculture colleges have camps you could attend - you can learn a lot and have lots of fun too.

Latest posts