Gravel driveway/loadout area

Help Support CattleToday:

KAstocker

Reaction score
I need to add on to our driveway to have more turn around space and equipment storage area. I am going to fence off from my pasture about a 200'x200' area that will connect to my existing driveway in front of my shed.

What are recommendations as far as construction of the gravel driveway area? I was thinking remove the top soil, add a few inches of large rock, then a few inches of road rock. I am unsure if road fabric is needed. We have heavy clay about 12 inches down.

Funny thing I'm a civil engineer and this type of specifying is sort of my job. We don't deal with gravel much. I figure ag people have better experience building gravel drives than engineers.

Fabric is well worth the money, I can tell right where I started using it on my driveway, without fabric the dirt will slowly work its way up and it constantly needs more gravel.

Don't use river rocks. The person before us did and we have some spots that are awful.

I'm in clay as well and don't use fabric but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have.

How much is the fabric?
Cost $0.10-$0.50 per sf depending on quality. I'd probably get something in the middle. It's good to hear most of you guys think it's valuable. I appreciate the comments.

I would consider the fabric essential. I just bought another roll of fabric today. $536 for a 432 foot long roll 12.5 feet wide. Just a little over 10 cents a square foot. We are building a trail and planning to replace an old fence to add another 100 acres of grazing up at a higher elevation. There are a number of wet areas to cross to get up there, so just cutting a Cat trail won't be enough. When I was younger we used horses, but now I want to be able to access the area on an ATV. It is the same price here per square foot whether you buy 12.5 feet wide, 15 or 17.5. We use it around the barns, water tanks, feed areas, at gates, creek crossings and anywhere that it gets muddy. Putting down just rock is a temporary fix on our black mud, but roll out some fabric and cover with as little as 6 inches of rock and that road will float across an area that is practically a swap in winter. I have cattle walkways that were put in 15-20 years ago across areas that were almost impassable before, and they are still working great today.

Myself forget the fabric...if you have means to removing soil 6" is all you'd need-not a foot....I'd fill with large crushed concrete and then smooth over with small crush concrete. Nothings is going to sink or move, dirt won't get past the larger 6" concrete pieces....professional grade road base.

I need to add on to our driveway to have more turn around space and equipment storage area. I am going to fence off from my pasture about a 200'x200' area that will connect to my existing driveway in front of my shed.

What are recommendations as far as construction of the gravel driveway area? I was thinking remove the top soil, add a few inches of large rock, then a few inches of road rock. I am unsure if road fabric is needed. We have heavy clay about 12 inches down.

Funny thing I'm a civil engineer and this type of specifying is sort of my job. We don't deal with gravel much. I figure ag people have better experience building gravel drives than engineers.
Asphalt millings are really good to top of everything with.

Geoweb over textile filled with 3/4" minus is as good as it gets, loaded super B's won't dent it.
Failing that, a large angular rock / broken concrete base (over cloth depending on your ground conditions) followed by your choice of surface.

Here in central OK, we have a sticky red clay that will swallow up a setting vehicle in 2 years. I have not used fabric, but have used crushed concrete, chips, crusher run, and clean stone. The last crushed concrete I got has so many fines in it that after some of thise gully washers we had it just washed off. the crushed concrete and chips will stick to a muddy tractor tire and be carried off. Crusher run will carry off if it has a lot of fines. Crusher run also does not go very far/ semi load. I have found the best is 1-1/2 clean stone. last load was $20 higher than crusher run, but it went twice as far when spreading as crusher. When buying it is sold by weight. The fines in crusher run is heavier per cu yd than clean stone.

Latest posts