Gravel Driveway weed and grass control

Help Support CattleToday:

MO VOL

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an herbicide that will control grass and weeds for the entire year? Glyphosate only controls initially and then I have weeds coming back in a month or so. Is there a pre-emergent herbicide I can mix to control weeds coming up later? Also, I don't want to kill the grass next to the gravel driveway so am concerned about leaching to that area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If mow your driveway...you might be a redneck.
Saw that one on one of the Foxworthy calendars, years ago.
I are one.

In my opinion, glyphosate is your best choice. Preemergence herbecides aren't going to penetrate the ground enough to help you. Plus even if you used one, nothing would get them all, so you would spraying again. A pet peeve of mine is the fact that I have amazing stands of volunteer grass in my driveways, but many times a sow grass, and have a terrible germination rate.

Lucky_P":39qfm5j5 said:
If mow your driveway...you might be a redneck.
Saw that one on one of the Foxworthy calendars, years ago.
I are one.

Unfortunately, I are one too! Trying to fix that tho.......

Goal is an easy choice as it's liquid and not granular so it can be sprayed without an agitator in your tank. Plus, in my experience, it doesn't have to be rained in as much as other pre-emergents do to give you good control.

Check out Simazine and be aware that environmentalists want to ban that class of chemical.

It's some years since I've used it so I can't report how it works, but was recommended to me for exactly that problem, lots of seedlings colonising the bare ground left after round-up spray.

My preferred option for 'edges' is to spray once, plant up the new bare ground as a flower border 2 - 3 weeks later, and mulch heavily. The driveway itself won't grow grass if you use it enough. (But I mow mine if it does). Otherwise my edges get sprayed 2 - 3 times a year and look straggly most of the time and the round-up resistant weeds gradually take over.

What your looking for is something that is called a "soil neutralizer" like Hyvar. However, it is controlled and you need an Applicator License to buy it. If you are able to get some, use caution as Hyvar will runoff if rained on and neutralize the runoff area.

MudHog":37uk96nw said:
What your looking for is something that is called a "soil neutralizer" like Hyvar. However, it is controlled and you need an Applicator License to buy it. If you are able to get some, use caution as Hyvar will runoff if rained on and neutralize the runoff area.

It works but I do not recommend it - nuclear death to plants - can be long lasting and then some types of weeds come up - and they are resistant. And yes there can be / are run off issues. It can affect / effect your local water sources as well as other sections of land.

Take a sickle bar mower and hit the driveway once a month - if it is as long as mine it will only take you an hour - far better choice over the long term - anyone comes to visit and they do not like the length of grass along the drive they are not your friends - tell them to pizz off and do not let the gate hit them in the azz as they leave.

Be the king of your castle and only welcome the knights that willingly carry your flag - all else can leave.

Cheers

Bez__

Old crank case oil seemed to work good for my Dad for years. Frowned on in some circles now days but it did work. Kept dust down too.

Rain water run off is the problem. Herbicides or oil winds up in stock tanks or in pastures where grass is needed.

Box blade a time or two thru the summer months works wonders.

MO VOL":1ssog5bl said:
Can anyone suggest an herbicide that will control grass and weeds for the entire year? Glyphosate only controls initially and then I have weeds coming back in a month or so. Is there a pre-emergent herbicide I can mix to control weeds coming up later? Also, I don't want to kill the grass next to the gravel driveway so am concerned about leaching to that area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Mowing the grass beside the driveway throws seeds up on the gravel here (weed, bahia and bermuda seeds) and wind does the rest so it comes back. I just keep spraying with glyco and sometimes mix it with an emulsifier and diesel. Just go easy on the diesel to avoid runoff.

Been meaning to mix up a bunch of salt water and try that--my drive by the way, is iron ore, not gravel.

Best way is to get a long chunk, 14'+ of railroad iron and weld a chain to it and drag around. At about 40 lbs per square foot of weight, it does a better job than any back blade or box blade I have ever seen. I tried the chemical method a few times and it does work, but it is labor intensive and isn't long term.

I have problems with bermuda. I'll spray with roundup occasionally. I'll have my husband grade it up and i pick up the chunks of grass at that time. I hate my circle drive, hope to have it concreted some day..

Latest posts