What kind of issues do you deal with in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Our vet sent us a notice the other day letting us know that many of their clients have been losing large numbers of dairy cattle to hemorrhagic bowel syndrome. They have said it hits suddenly and they are seeing very low success rates with treatment. Only treatment they have found to work is very early intervention and even then, few survive. They have recommended that we keep strict on our vaccine schedule and ensure all are up to date with an 8 way.

That being said we all deal with lots of stuff. And being all over North America/the world on here we all deal with different things due to climate and what not.

What is it that you deal with most in your area?

For us its foot rot. We get a lot of water being in rainy British Columbia Canada. We are always battling off coyotes. Our neighbours seem to deal with pink eye every year. But for us, its always about water. How do we keep everyone dry. How we do we stop the foot rot. How do we keep our calves safe and away from coyotoes.

What's your biggest issues?

All of the above. Wet weather can bring about a lot of issues, on the other hand real dry ain't so good either. Coyotes and buzzards are the predator concerns. Bouts of respiratory illness and occasional pinkeye have so far been our main issues. I am now becoming more concerned about anaplasmosis, haven't had it yet, but some friends a little ways north of here have been dealing with it.

No good farm help - Lazy guy - me! Also flies and need to read the tea leaves on time to sell some culls and such. Otherwise just sweating and drinking H2O, tea and coffee.

greybeard said:

Too much or not enough? Or both? We have insanely wet seasons and then crazy wild fires due to no rain.

Cowgal, you can find wild cacti if you drive less than 3 hours ;) Average rainfall here is 15 inches a year, I've seen close to that in a day down there!
biggest worry for cattle health here is atypical pneumonia, middle of the summer they can get it, when we first started there were no drugs that did anything at all, now there are a few, baytril, draxxin, resflor are all pretty effective. I have coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and a wolf has even been spotted, but nothing has ever bothered the cows or calves.

One problem we have here is *everything* is 3 hours away minimum.. so when you find a good deal, it's gone by the time you can get there.

Nesikep said:
Cowgal, you can find wild cacti if you drive less than 3 hours ;) Average rainfall here is 15 inches a year, I've seen close to that in a day down there!
biggest worry for cattle health here is atypical pneumonia, middle of the summer they can get it, when we first started there were no drugs that did anything at all, now there are a few, baytril, draxxin, resflor are all pretty effective. I have coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and a wolf has even been spotted, but nothing has ever bothered the cows or calves.

One problem we have here is *everything* is 3 hours away minimum.. so when you find a good deal, it's gone by the time you can get there.

Have you been affected at all with the recent change with buying medicine for your herd? We can now only get a few things without seeing a vet. I can go and buy some selenium and some other vitamin like things but all drugs, antibiotics and such require a prescription from a vet. We used Resflour off label often, now I have to try and come up with some round about lie to get my hands on it. We actually use it to treat foot rot which is off label.

Other than bears, wolves, grasshoppers, elk, a 200 day feeding season and being a 14 hour truck ride to the feedlots I can't really think of any issues.......
Oh wait, Ministry of Forrest and Range are a pain in the behind, burning permits are getting hard to get, they are trying to force us to license our water, logging activity on our range is depleting AUM's and removing natural barriers, fuel prices are getting carried away, sisal twine is pricing itself out of the market, fencelines are growing over and spray is expensive....
I better stop here before you folks think I'm bytching.

Caustic Burno said:
Mexican vultures.

CB, we've been seeing some black headed instead of red headed buzzards around here. Is the mexican vulture giving you trouble look like a red headed turkey vulture (we call them buzzards) with a black head?

Are they killing young calves?

cowgal604 said:
Nesikep said:

Have you been affected at all with the recent change with buying medicine for your herd? We can now only get a few things without seeing a vet. I can go and buy some selenium and some other vitamin like things but all drugs, antibiotics and such require a prescription from a vet. We used Resflour off label often, now I have to try and come up with some round about lie to get my hands on it. We actually use it to treat foot rot which is off label.
I am very fortunate in the fact that the vets at the clinic I use all know me well and like me so I never even have to give a reason for the things I get just say I need it and they get it for me.

Problems with this area? I don't know but I know my problems!

Not enough money.
Not enough land.
Not enough time.
Not enough cattle.
And not good enough working facilities.

Besides that it's all Sun shine and roses! :)

The black headed buzzards are a nuisance and can be a problem. The Mexican vultures are predators. They are vicious SOB's that go after eyes and the anus. They are wary and attentive and its hard to get close enough to shoot them.

I need a shot gun with a 100 yard range.

ez14. said:
cowgal604 said:
Nesikep said:

I am very fortunate in the fact that the vets at the clinic I use all know me well and like me so I never even have to give a reason for the things I get just say I need it and they get it for me.

Yeah, I find it surprising that they won't let people have Resflor for footrot. Even if they wanted to be sticklers, they could give her Nuflor and Banamine transdermal, which is the same active ingredients found in Resflor, both with a footrot label.

cowgal604 said:
Nesikep said:

Not really, My vet is in Cache creek, a good hour away, so he just gives me what I ask for usually.. been dealing with that clinic (it's changed hands meanwhile) for 30 years now

ccr said:
Caustic Burno said:
Mexican vultures.

CB, we've been seeing some black headed instead of red headed buzzards around here. Is the mexican vulture giving you trouble look like a red headed turkey vulture (we call them buzzards) with a black head?

Are they killing young calves?

Mexican vultures are black headed and fly more like a bat than glide like a turkey buzzard.
They will attack the calf in flocks and the cow if found while calving.
I have never saved a calf if bitten.

It's gone a bit silly here too, if i want a bottle of lutylise i have to get from vet. Used to be able to get from a.i. tech but they also have to get it from vet. Our biggest issue here is land prices, good productive country is around 20 000 an acre, just not worth it for cattle. Can go three hours east and pick it up for 1500 an acre but need 20 times as much land to run the same head IF you get rain. Better cropping and sheep country out there.