Hay prices in your area

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":2bjckdjb said:
SRBeef":2bjckdjb said:
Univ of WI predicts 30% fewer hay acres to be harvested in the state this year than last. Ground being planted to corn. Jim

Math majors have calculated that we should spend more on fertilizer when forage cost goes up. :shock:
Now I just need to decide if hay is going to be worth $50, $100, or $200 a roll. :help:

I am assuming purchased decent quality 1500 lb 5x6 large beef hay rounds will be around $100/bale this summer. I'm using that as my rationale and ROI cost basis to purchase some hay equipment and start raising some of my own hay.

There are folks who do not raise hay that are talking about throwing in the towel and selling all or most of their cattle due to the hay situation. Just no way to make them work at current calf prices and $200/bale purchased hay.

Jim

SRBeef":szy6uzwy said:
I am assuming purchased decent quality 1500 lb 5x6 large beef hay rounds will be around $100/bale this summer. I'm using that as my rationale and ROI cost basis to purchase some hay equipment and start raising some of my own hay.
There are folks who do not raise hay that are talking about throwing in the towel and selling all or most of their cattle due to the hay situation. Just no way to make them work at current calf prices and $200/bale purchased hay.Jim

I have looked at hay making too. Dairy quality alfalfa looks like a winner on paper, but drying is a big issue in my area.
I also calculated how many acres of row crops it would take to overwinter my herd on 100% residue...

Jim - - With your longer pasture season and some corn grazing, what % of your winter feed is baled hay?

Latest posts