GPS Tracking Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

A-RRanch

Reaction score
So I helped my neighbor look for a cow for the last two days that has died due to calving complications because we could not locate her to assist. This got me to thinking. Is anybody fitting their cattle with GPS or microchips like they do on pets these days? Or something similar to what houndsman do with their dogs. With their handheld device they know where their hounds are at all times. Wouldn't that be nice in the thick south Texas brush? To be able to locate your cow with a GPS? Is this something that exists? Is affordable?

The collar we use on hounds does not last all that long. According to which brand they might last from a few days and then has to be recharged to the best one I have is suppose to last 6000 hours. At the end of that time I have to send it back to the factory to have a new battery installed.
The microchips I have seen you would have to be within a few inches for it to read. It would help if the cattle were stolen and you were trying to prove ownership but thats about it.

A couple of years ago I would have thought no way, but with the advances in technology I've witnessed in the past couple years I am positive it will be available soon. Just this fall I finally figured out the GPS on my bosses tractors and combine and have been using auto-steer. My mind has been blown. Perfect rows everytime no overlap nothing missed. Accurate to less than an inch. Mind boggling.

I remember reading a couple years ago they were doing research with a gps collar that was being used to keep cattle in a boundary,it would give them a shock if they got to the edge of the boundary,kinda like a electric fence with no wire,havent heard how its turning out

A-RRanch":10yr8hua said:
So I helped my neighbor look for a cow for the last two days that has died due to calving complications because we could not locate her to assist. This got me to thinking. Is anybody fitting their cattle with GPS or microchips like they do on pets these days? Or something similar to what houndsman do with their dogs. With their handheld device they know where their hounds are at all times. Wouldn't that be nice in the thick south Texas brush? To be able to locate your cow with a GPS? Is this something that exists? Is affordable?

A-RR ranch I have gps on all my hounds and even beagles but let me let you in on a lil secret those batteries do not last as long as the regular tracking system. I run gps and tracking collars on my dogs reason being if I cant find them before the gps tracking collars die I can still track them with the tracking collars with a sonar beep and meter to determine where they are. The tracking collars can stay on for 60 days or so however unless you have a collar or rope around the cows head there is no where to really put one. The microchips have something you have to rub over the pet for my understand and then get the information it does not transmit. Kenny you must use Johnson collars. I use wildlife materials where I can change out on my own.

Edit: those tracking collars are only good if they are on the cattle somehow there is no way to put under the skin for transmission so basically they are only good if on the cattle. If a thief saw them im sure they would remove them or turn them off so it would stop transmitting then sell the cattle and the collars. Here in VA it is a felony to remove a tracking collar off of a hound.

Is it affordable depends on your pocket I have a good solid $12k invested in tracking collars and gps I have 35 collars 2 boxes and multiple antenna on different trucks.

Latest posts