Got to the top of the hill

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":31lgje8q said:
Dave":31lgje8q said:
The vast majority of the cows around here are Angus, Herefords, Charolais, red Angus, or crosses of those breeds. More black hided cows than anything else. Some are pretty fleshy and others are pretty rangy. There is one outfit a little North of here that one one side of the road there is around 2,000 black and baldie cows all with black baldie calves. The other side of the road there is about 100 horned Hereford bulls. I think the main thing is that they are raised in this type of country.

If Beefmasters weren't so rare up here, I think they'd do well on your type of land. I know that over here near Boise, if you're selling at the barn it better be black or BWF/RWF or you're going to eat it hard.

Everyone is trying to build a better mouse trap. But the fact is that at this point nothing will beat a BWF in this country. Both for performance and sale price. There is a reason that guy with 2,000 cows is breeding for them.
There is a guy who I have met in Northern Nevada who has Beefmasters. I watched his calves sell on the video a couple of years in a row. Same sales my SIL and others from his neighborhood sold Angus, Red Angus, and Charolais calves. The dollar difference put in their pocket was huge.

Dave":nw4f1d3c said:
Everyone is trying to build a better mouse trap. But the fact is that at this point nothing will beat a BWF in this country.

Same here, and likely true for 90%+ of the lower 48.

I am bumping this up because of the picture from the top of the hill. Steep hills were discussed some on another thread. This is from back when we had "Add image to post". I could post pictures then. I wish we still had that.
I just got back down from the top. First trip to the top this year. I was actually higher than snow drifts on the North side of the next hill. I have been told about a spring which was once developed and running water to a trough. If I get it working again I will get more AUM's on the BLM allotment. Rode the quad to the top of the hill and then hiked down a steep old cat road. I didn't get to the spring and decided that I need to start this earlier in the day. Where I turned around it was a long ways back up the hill. Whoever drove the Cat down that hill had some stones.

Dave said:
I am bumping this up because of the picture from the top of the hill. Steep hills were discussed some on another thread. This is from back when we had "Add image to post". I could post pictures then. I wish we still had that.
Lots of people do have it now since the server move happened yesterday.....maybe everyone and you didn't notice?

greybeard said:
Dave said:
Lots of people do have it now since the server move happened yesterday.....maybe everyone and you didn't notice?

I noticed it right after this post. I am glad it is back.

Latest posts