Got to be some kind of record

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Just got home looked new calf in the pasture, old Brangus girl I bought in 93 as 16 month old just had her 17th bull calf.
I really like this old girl and have never got a heifer from her, went back and looked through the books first calf was in 94 and has had one ever since regular as clock work.

And here I thought my 14 going on 15 yo was something special. Fortunately I've got a few daughters from her.

Caustic, I'd say you've gotten your money's worth out of that old gal. But----never a heifer? What are the odds of that? Sure would have been nice to have a couple of daughters with her longevity.

Katherine

Caustic Burno":1u11zp49 said:
Just got home looked new calf in the pasture, old Brangus girl I bought in 93 as 16 month old just had her 17th bull calf.
I really like this old girl and have never got a heifer from her, went back and looked through the books first calf was in 94 and has had one ever since regular as clock work.

Got me beat CB...gotta 16 year old bangus "Grandma" ... just had her 14th a couple of weeks ago. Calf is sure a lot prettier than she is. :nod:

Workinonit Farm":ex2jbpmj said:
And here I thought my 14 going on 15 yo was something special. Fortunately I've got a few daughters from her.

Caustic, I'd say you've gotten your money's worth out of that old gal. But----never a heifer? What are the odds of that? Sure would have been nice to have a couple of daughters with her longevity.

Katherine

Would I like to have a few heifers out of her you can't imagine, there is still a chance she still has good teeth, good udder and maintains good BCS.

have a red saler cow that is 18 this year. calved as a 2 year old never missed one yet. so hopefully doesnt this year. never lost a calf out of her and strange enough she has never had a hiefer yet either.

Caustic Burno":152qfhlu said:
Workinonit Farm":152qfhlu said:

Katherine

Would I like to have a few heifers out of her you can't imagine, there is still a chance she still has good teeth, good udder and maintains good BCS.
Sinc you think it's foolish to retain heifers I would think you would prefer a bull maker. Have paitnce, Granny waited till she was 20 before she started having heifrrs, hoping for a third one in a row this year.

Dun I do think it is foolish to retain heifers unless it is for genetic reasons. This would be for those reasons it is still a crap shoot calving out first time heifers. I am just willing to roll the dice on her progeny.

Caustic Burno":37hltm2b said:
Dun I do think it is foolish to retain heifers unless it is for genetic reasons. This would be for those reasons it is still a crap shoot calving out first time heifers. I am just willing to roll the dice on her progeny.
That's the reason I'm tickled that Granny gave us heifers the last couple of years and I'm hoping for one again this year.

Shucks. The oldest gal in my pasture now is 7 1/2 years old - actually several are that age. I was feeling really good about my herd being so young until I read this. :D

I had a cow who gave me 9 calves out of the 10 years I had her. I hated to sell her but at the time needed the $$ and she was the oldest cow I had. Would love to have several more like her now.

Caustic Burno,

Have you ever AI'd this cow? Wanting a herifer out of her sure would be a good opportunity to use some sexed semen on her.

cbcr":348uv2k4 said:
Caustic Burno,

Have you ever AI'd this cow? Wanting a herifer out of her sure would be a good opportunity to use some sexed semen on her.

No and to tell you the truth it has never crossed my mind her being a commercial Brangus. She is a fullblood and actually that is a good idea.

Caustic Burno":1yka9104 said:
Just got home looked new calf in the pasture, old Brangus girl I bought in 93 as 16 month old just had her 17th bull calf.I really like this old girl and have never got a heifer from her, went back and looked through the books first calf was in 94 and has had one ever since regular as clock work.

Caustic, Dun, Lon: Without a doubt having heifer calves is bad for a cow's health. My conclusion is about as scientific as some of the FDA's.

Cowdirt":2ktfjzgd said:
Caustic Burno":2ktfjzgd said:
Just got home looked new calf in the pasture, old Brangus girl I bought in 93 as 16 month old just had her 17th bull calf.I really like this old girl and have never got a heifer from her, went back and looked through the books first calf was in 94 and has had one ever since regular as clock work.

Caustic, Dun, Lon: Without a doubt having heifer calves is bad for a cow's health. My conclusion is about as scientific as some of the FDA's.

:clap: :clap: :lol2: :lol2:

Lon":2uzxlefv said:
Cowdirt":2uzxlefv said:
Caustic Burno":2uzxlefv said:

:clap: :clap: :lol2: :lol2:
Actaully here a heifer NOT having a calf is worse for her health. She ends up in the feedlot.

dun":3l5qxtic said:
Actaully here a heifer NOT having a calf is worse for her health. She ends up in the feedlot.

here they end up hamburger if they come up open most the time. i thought he meant because that the cows we had performing that long were throwing bull calves all the time.

Maybe it is like raising daughters, to much stress, ages you way ahead of time.

Latest posts