Got a pretty

Help Support CattleToday:

@Jeanne - Simme Valley
@farmerjan

That yeller cow was actually on my drought cull list as a pair. Only because of color. She came up but her calf didn't the day I gathered. I ended up selling Bertha instead as a heavy bred. Bertha wasnt quite as nice. She was a 8yr old 8 months bred. Weighed almost 1500lbs. She only brought 1100 bucks.
She just got lucky. Or I did. One or the other. She's about 6 or 7 yrs old now.
Here's her calf a week or so old by Big Sexy.
Then again about a month before I sold that group of calves.
You can tell who's is who's. 😆
Watching me band and tag. Raising a ruckus.
Screenshot_20230620-214725_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230620-215003_Gallery.jpg
Bit of an awkward shot there.

I think I did ok as far as saving the pastures by culling when I did. Certainly been blessed with some rain so far. It looking like summer is here now tho! 100's next week. Rain chances are way down

@Jeanne - Simme Valley
@farmerjan

That yeller cow was actually on my drought cull list as a pair. Only because of color. She came up but her calf didn't the day I gathered. I ended up selling Bertha instead as a heavy bred. Bertha wasnt quite as nice. She was a 8yr old 8 months bred. Weighed almost 1500lbs. She only brought 1100 bucks.
She just got lucky. Or I did. One or the other. She's about 6 or 7 yrs old now.
Here's her calf a week or so old by Big Sexy.
Then again about a month before I sold that group of calves.
You can tell who's is who's. 😆
Watching me band and tag. Raising a ruckus.
View attachment 31481View attachment 31482
Bit of an awkward shot there.

I think I did ok as far as saving the pastures by culling when I did. Certainly been blessed with some rain so far. It looking like summer is here now tho! 100's next week. Rain chances are way down
You got me itching. Saw a char cross cow for sale today for like $800 that just raised a monster of a bull calf but she's listed as "hard to catch" and she looks poor as Somalia.

You got me itching. Saw a char cross cow for sale today for like $800 that just raised a monster of a bull calf but she's listed as "hard to catch" and she looks poor as Somalia.
Don't like them hard to catch cows no matter how good a calf they raise. If I need to catch em, I want em to come a running for feed!

Hot'r n heck today!
The earz are enjoying the sunshine while the others lay in the shade....
Bessies 2 eared calves as well
View attachment 32101
Always make me smile to see the earz almost being unbothered by the sun. And they usually, not always, have noticeably less flies on em as well.

Yeah, you're right. I'll see if she's still up for sale. I have to be honest, it's been a long time since I bought anything that wasn't to resell or kill. I'm trying to pick foundation stock for cow-calf again. Not easy in this market.
Don't cheap it out if you are looking at long term. Saving pennies a pound on breeding stock will mean you have a long way to breed up to cattle you will be satisfied with and can be proud of, and cost you dollars at the sale barn when you market your product. As you say, prices are hard to justify and we can't see the future, but if you are buying, cheap stock lose just as much or more than good stock in a down market..

I used to put together groups of calves and advertise them privately, thirty calves and selling twenty at a price where I would get two calves paid for. Then I'd let the buyer choose from the thirty. It surprised me how often a buyer would choose the worst calves and I'd end up with the better.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right. I'll see if she's still up for sale. I have to be honest, it's been a long time since I bought anything that wasn't to resell or kill. I'm trying to pick foundation stock for cow-calf again. Not easy in this market.
Buy this one, resell her for a big profit and put that profit towards what your really looking for.

800 lb black baldy heifer for $500? how old is she? SH;ed bring you $1600 at the sale this coming week. Why is it that you can't sell or trade her?
Well I could resell her, I'm just shopping to keep right now. I haven't bought anything other than to sell or kill for near 7 years.

Don't cheap it out if you are looking at long term. Saving pennies a pound on breeding stock will mean you have a long way to breed up to cattle you will be satisfied with and can be proud of, and cost you dollars at the sale barn when you market your product. As you say, prices are hard to justify and we can't see the future, but if you are buying, cheap stock lose just as much or more than good stock in a down market..

I used to put together groups of calves and advertise them privately, thirty calves and selling twenty at a price where I would get two calves paid for. Then I'd let the buyer choose from the thirty. It surprised me how often a buyer would choose the worst calves and I'd end up with the better.
You're 100% right.

Buy this one, resell her for a big profit and put that profit towards what your really looking for.
You're also 100% right.

I need to sleep on this and see if she's still for sale. If not, I got money ponied up for a run of pigs.

Well I could resell her, I'm just shopping to keep right now. I haven't bought anything other than to sell or kill for near 7 years.
Sounds like an NB'r ( no brainer) deal to me. You in Alabama, or still in Texas? I'd buy her tomorrow and take her to the sale, for triple my money., But if you want to start building a herd, AI her with sexed Brahma semen every year , and you'd have a $2000 black (probably) f1 Braford heifer every year. Breed those to a Brangus 1st year, ( and keep those heifers if you wanted to) and then black Simmental every year after that. Ad keep those heifers if you wanted to. Tomorrow when this Jack and weed wears off, I will calculate how soon you could have a 10 cow herd off of that one $500 cow. Right now, ,though, time to put on some Jethro Tull and chill. :)
er

Latest posts