going for it

Help Support CattleToday:

allen6634

Reaction score
i posted on this board the other day and i don't want to upset anyone , but my wife and i have decided to get the cows ,we are shooting for a2014 delivery we are going to build shelters and fence and i think a pasture, i have some questions about the fence sould i eletrfi it or just use barbed wire? and now for the pasture i have been mowing my field / pasture with a brush hog for the last 18 years what can i do to make sure my field will be a safe and nutrious for the cows ? do i need to disk the old grass under and plant new? thanks for the info in advance.

The kind of fence depends on several things. What will the fence be next to and are there laws specifying how high a fence has to be to be considered a fence. Neighbor got burned last year on that last one.
Find out what kind of grasses/forages are growing in the pasture, do a soil test and lime and fertilize up to spec. Depending on what kind of grass/forage is growing will dictate if disking is a good idea or not.

I am not a fence professional so I will leave that to others....I personally like electric becasue it creates a psychological barrier ....my bulls honor my electric fence but know any spot that might not be hot.

For the forage.....
as Dun said.....
figure out where you are starting from.
soil test for pH and phosphorus and potassium.
figure out what you have....if you don't know then call the county agent or a neighboring cattleman to identify.
Generally everytime the soil is exposed to the sun you kill the microboial life in the soil.
If possible revive and improve the grass stand by using as little tillage as possible....If you have grass, don't worry about how old it is. It starts new every spring anyway.
Worry about the species and varieties you have.
If necessary over seed either by broadcast or with a no till drill.
I am currently broadcasting wheat and legumes after grazing and then mowing the paddock. Having good stands appear. Using wheat becasue it is the cheapest small grain seed I can find locally.

One secret to maintaining a good and diverse grass stand.....
it is really easy but the majority of people choose to ignore it and do it the way it has always been done.
The secret is......
GRASS NEEDS REST AND LOTS OF IT.....
manage your grazing and the rest will take care of itself.
proper stocking rates.....don't try to have more animals than your pasture will support.
Don't graze pastures into the dirt....leave some biomass to put back on the land. build organic matter and build the soil.
multiple grazing paddocks and move the animals frequently and let the just grazed area rest for as long as possible.
having animls use to a strand of electric wire makes this very easy.
You can then manage grass with a couple of rolls of poly wire and a few tread in posts.
Moving the animals to new grass every few days will result in having them come running to you when they see you rather than away from you. Make seeing, managing and being around them much easier.

Since you seem to be starting from scratch....you can lay it our for the most efficient use.
Don't forget to factor in access to water....

thanks for the reply i haven't for gotten about water have dug a well just for this . i have 5 acers to use so i 'llbreak it up in to 4 small patures only looking to have 2 one for milk and the other for meat, if i find that i want more i'll have to start working on the rest of my land i have 16 acers

allen6634":2rc5zqya said:
thanks for the reply i haven't for gotten about water have dug a well just for this . i have 5 acers to use so i 'llbreak it up in to 4 small patures only looking to have 2 one for milk and the other for meat, if i find that i want more i'll have to start working on the rest of my land i have 16 acers

THIS MAKES IT EASY....
put up a good perimeter fence.
then use poly wire and break it into ten lots each a half acre. whatever time you graze a half acre the other lots have nine times that long to rest and regenerate.
I failed to notice where you are so have no idea of stocking rates whare you are. But I could easily graze two animals on 5 acres and not have to use very much hay at all where I am....
The beauty of poly wire is if you don't like where you have it .....it takes ten minutes to move it and make it better.....

i will see if poly wire is avaiable around here i forgot to tell my location , i live in hawesville ,ky. i don't know if you know where this is im not real good at expaining things on here . but i can tell you im 7 miles from the ohio river the river is the state line between indiana and ky. thanks again for your advice

Latest posts