Goats

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
My daughter received a couple of goats. Long story.

Just wondering if they can eat corn gluten ,soybean hulls,and cracked corn. Or do they have to have something else. They will get good hay also. Will they be ok running with some 800lb heifers? Just trying to find out (sorry just dont know that much about goats). JHH

It depends on what kind of goats she has. If she has wethers (castrated male goats) than I wouldn't feed ANY grain unless they are still young and need to grow. And if you do feed them grain, make sure it has amonium chloride in it. Goats are very suspectable to UC (unrinary calculi) which is almost always deadly. All wethers and nonproducing goats need is good quality hay and maybe a handfull a day of grain. I would stay away from the soybean meal. Soy is not good for goats.

You can usually find a decent goat mix feed at your elevator or feed store (don't get a sweet feed for all kinds of livestock) Make sure you get a goat feed that contains amonium chloride (look in the ingredients).

They also need access to a mineral of some sort (not for sheep or a sheep and goat mix mineral because sheep can't tolerate copper at all, where goats need some copper). Your regular cattle mineral should be fine.

They can't stay outside in all kinds of weather like cattle. They need a dry, draft free shelter, or you will be constantly dealing with pneumonia. A fairly deep 3 sided shelter facing the south or east shoud work, or a calf hutch.

If they are does (females) that you are wanting to breed, they will need quite a bit more attention. They will need grain (they don't get UC) so you can give them grain. Again, stay away from soy products and a lot of corn. A little corn goes a long way in goats, they founder easily on it.
Kent goat feeds sells a really great, cheap all around goat feed. It's called 16% Goat feed. It's just a pelleted feed, but they grown well on it. If your does are milking, you will need a dairy pellet suppliment. We use dairy provider 38% from Kent.

Hope that helps you out some. If you need more info, please feel free to email me. I raise Nubian dairy goats for show professionally.

Good Luck :D

Goats can run with cattle. They'll eat the crap that cows won't. We give ours 3 nannies 1 buck. About a 1/2 scoop of 14% cattle feed a day. And they get a 28% goat/sheep block along with some hay.

I have a pigmy nanny and 2 lil runts runnin around about 2 1/2 months now and a nebian wether running around and they get a quart pitcher of cracked corn twice a day, well there are also about 12 ducks that eat with them too. We also give them 2 flakes a hay twice a day and they are cute lil healthy things. lol. Cracked corn is just fine, when I had my ram in with them, it was like that too, only another flake a hay twice a day and a couple more handfulls of grain. lol.

Thanks for all the replies it really helped out. I am just not to smart when it comes to goats. These goats ( dont know what breed if any breed they are) came from Arizona so they are adjusting to the climate right now. They have a warm shelter that they hardley ever come out of since the snow and ice hit. Thanks again JHH