Sheep or Goats

Help Support CattleToday:

haha, hope you like it kyla. Incidently I love goat meat, highly recommend it. But I've never tried a curry, I just cut my wethers into roasts, chops, then mince and stew/stir fry meat. I LOVE grilled goat rib chops, or loin chops. And a roast leg. Yum yum yum.

I love roo. Mostly we shoot our own. Take the backstrap for roo steak, a bit of leg for roast and stew meat, sometimes the tail for soup, then the rest for the dogs. But yes, you can buy it from the butcher and supermarket as well, for both human and pet consumption.

To find goat meat you have to go to a butcher, not a supermarket.

oh btw kyla, go to ozfarmer.com.au/forum and find the llama thread ... check out the flogging I copped for eating our native animals :roll:

Keren":ucvsaipp said:
haha, hope you like it kyla. Incidently I love goat meat, highly recommend it. But I've never tried a curry, I just cut my wethers into roasts, chops, then mince and stew/stir fry meat. I LOVE grilled goat rib chops, or loin chops. And a roast leg. Yum yum yum.

I love roo. Mostly we shoot our own. Take the backstrap for roo steak, a bit of leg for roast and stew meat, sometimes the tail for soup, then the rest for the dogs. But yes, you can buy it from the butcher and supermarket as well, for both human and pet consumption.

To find goat meat you have to go to a butcher, not a supermarket.

oh btw kyla, go to ozfarmer.com.au/forum and find the llama thread ... check out the flogging I copped for eating our native animals :roll:

What?! Tail for soup?! That's my favourite. I really like bbq roo kebabs. I want to try it roasted though. What herbs would you put with it?

The only meat he had was chunks on the bone and a AUD$30 leg roast. So it was either curried or non curried. I thought you'd be proud of me. :lol2:

Will check out said thread.

haha, yes I am proud of you. I will make sure I have some good loin and rib chops in the freezer when ya come over in September.

my response on said thread is awaiting approval by a moderator, so I dont think it appears yet.

If ya get a roast, just do it the same as a lamb

As to not seeing goat meat in the store -- At HEB goat meat is labeled/marketed as "cabreto"(sp) Spanish for young goat..

cross_7":2fh2k8tn said:
john250":2fh2k8tn said:
cross_7":2fh2k8tn said:
john thats what i don't understand
why would you prefer goat over beef or chicken of whatever

Personally, I prefer beef.
If someone prefers goat, I'd be interested to sample. Never have had one.
Do you eat turkey or ham at Thanksgiving? Most of us eat one or the other, for no other reason than tradition. The goat market is driven by immigrants who eat goat meat by tradition.
They aren't rejecting beef. Over time, I think we can upgrade a lot of them to beef. But it is likely the holidays will always be goat.

we normally have the tradtional turkey & dressing, but for a change we have enchilates. tamales, beans, rice, fajitas and etc. some years.
but that won't happen again, we had a bad batch of tamales this year :!:
heck now i'm afraid to at a mexican food restaurant. :D
barbqued goat meat,,mighty tasty

barbqued goat meat,,mighty tasty[/quote]

to be honest i've never eaten goat sober.
kinda like hunting dove
shoot dove all day
clean the dove, then drink beer while cooking and by the time the dove are ready your half lit and hadn't eaten all day so you think it's good.
i've heard that it depends a lot on the goat and the cook as how it taste.

well doesnt that piss ya off. said thread was edited by mods. no attack on poor widdle keren, no response from keren (which actually, was really civil), no mention of kangaroo meat at all

be nice I hate boards that are over moderated like that

what happened to freedom of speech??

Keren":2oz0pwn2 said:
well doesnt that be nice ya off. said thread was edited by mods. no attack on poor widdle keren, no response from keren (which actually, was really civil), no mention of kangaroo meat at all

be nice I hate boards that are over moderated like that

what happened to freedom of speech??

We only have freedom of speech in this world Keren when you agree with the consensus. We are being edited and audited everywhere in life these days..

I think I will pass on the Roo though..Goat too.. :p :lol2:

I remember somebody sayin' some years ago that when you clean a goat if you let any goat hair touch the meat it won't be fit to eat. Can anybody confirm that?

ga, I think that would only be true if you were butchering an intact buck - because their smell stays in the hair, and that could pass it on to the meat. But, from what I hear that buck smell can pass to the meat anyway.

So I think that is just a myth, really.

I butcher wethers and does at 4 - 6 mths for capretto, 12 - 18 mths for a proper carcase like lamb or hogget. Plenty of hair has touched my meat and not affected quality at all.

Actually, the hair thing is on of the hardest things about butchering goats. Their hair gets EVERYWHERE. More so than any other species.

I do not know much about goats, but sheep work very well in a grazing rotation with cattle, and they are also very useful in returning neglected pasture, and bush into productive ground.

cross_7":16bvb41t said:
still haven't seen goat meat in the stores yet

Probably the main reason you're not seeing goat meat in the stores is that they won't carry it just once in awhile -- if there's a demand for it, it needs to be in the cooler all the time, and except for maybe TX, there isn't a sufficient supply of meat-type goats for butcher.

As for "demand," the USA is a melting pot, and many of those immigrants didn't grow up on beef. South America, Africa, several European areas and over in the desert countries, their staple is goat meat or sheep. I've read a lot about this topic -- meat goats -- and if we didn't have to re-fence the whole place to accomodate them, I'd think real hard about it.

Pound for pound, 4-H kids here get more $$ out of their boer goats than their beef steers, without near as much time investment.

Oh, one other comment -- there was mention above of pasture rotation between cattle and goats or sheep. The 4-H/FFA son of one our local cattle ranchers raises meat goats (and shows his steers). They do some intensive grazing practice, running goats behind the cattle. The cattle eat the grass; the goats clean up the weeds and junk behind them. Hence, they have few weed issues.

i can see where cattle and goats could complement one another with parasite control, cleaning up weeds, brush, briars and etc.
fencing and predators would be problem for most.
selling goats would require direct selling or traveling to where to the goat auctions are located.
CL seems to be an issue(from what i hear)

had an old man tell me one time "you can try and hide who you are but they'll still smell the sheep on you"

cowboy43":2g1hco7m said:
I was told that you could run 6 sheep or goats on the same acreage as one cow. Now with the operating cost of a cow if you are honest with your operating expense you are lucky to make a small profit. So what would be the profit difference of 6 sheep to one cow be if they were raised on grass. I had to liquidate my cow herd because of the drought and I am looking at different options , I have been refenceing with net wire and going with stockers, some people run a combination of the two. This year before I restock with anything I am going to fence and reseed my pastures because the grass has been destroyed by the 4 year drought.

Actually, it's 8-10 goats/cow on an acre of land. Running cows and goats together is an ideal situation because goats prefer weeds to grass. Cows require 30 lbs of forage/day, and goats only take 5 lbs. They will eat trees - I'm talking leaves, bark, and small twigs - as well as brush. They are easier to handle, and are highly sociable. When is the last time you tried to stuff a heifer that didn't want to let her calf suck in the corner and get the calf sucking? I've done it quite a few times with my goats. When is the last time you successfully grabbed a cow/heifer by the horns and dragged them up under the shed when they calved in inclement weather? I've done that many times, as well. They are far more personable than cows, and the kids are just plain fun to watch play. There is also a hugh market for goat meat. I can't remember the numbers, but the US imports a hugh amount of goat meat to keep up with the demand. There is only one problem when it comes to raising goats, and that is fencing. A quote from an old goat rancher - "If you want to know if your fences are goat proof, throw a bucket of water at them. If the water goes through them, so will the goats." That is soooooooo true! :lol: :lol: I've seen my kids balance on a 2 X 12 and scoot down between the boards to get out. They can jump through a 1-2' gap in the gate that is 3-4' off the ground without ever touching the rail above or below. The kids can go through a cattle panel square until they are about a month old, and they will go under anything that is ankle high up to about 4 months old. Other than that, no problem!

See I don't agree with the fencing thing. Mine stay in sheep fences. Hot wire at nose level for the ones that try to push under, hot wire on top for the ones that try to jump out, cull the ones that still escape IMMEDIATELY before they teach the others and you will be fine.