Sheep or Goats

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I know this is a cattle forum but does anyone know of a good sheep and goat forum ? I have searched the internet and can not find much information on raising them. I know absolutely nothing about them and would like to learn. I have been listening to the local auction owners and they are saying it is a good second income in raising them. With the many different ethnic groups moving into Texas it is a great demand for their meat especially for their holidays. Even a good book or magazine would be useful, not a magazine with 90% advertiseing and 10% articles.

i've noticed in the livestock weekly that goats seem to be bringing good money.
i just can't imagine that there is a market for a goat.
are there that many foreigners in the U.S ?
don't they want beef now that they have access to it ?
what about their kids that are born here, don't they prefer beef or chicken over goat ?
as i said it makes no sense to me.

Is San Angelo not in west Texas? I have been told it is the largest goat market in the US. Seems some areas of west Texas has more goats than people.

I think it is a religous thing or maybe like us on Thanksgivings and Christmas we gotta have our turkey and dressing with crandberry sauce.

At Goldthwaite on Friday, selection 1 kids weighing 20-40 pounds brought $150-170, 40-60 pounds $160-192 and 60-80 pounds $165-185. Selection 1 nannies 80-125 pounds were $70-90, selection 2 80-125 pounds $50-70, selection 1 billies 90-200 pounds $100-120, selection 1 muttons 90-120 pounds $90-110.

New Holland, Penn., selling by the head Monday, quoted selection 1 kids of 40-60 pounds $58-98, 60-80 pounds $90-114, 80-100 pounds $110-136, and 100-110 pounds $126-140; selection 2 40-60 pounds were $48-68, 60-80 pounds $70-90 and 80-100 pounds $90-100. Selection 1 nannies 80-130 pounds brought $92-110 and 130-180 pounds $108-124, selection 2 80-130 pounds $78-90, selection 1 billies 100-150 pounds $170-182 and 150-250 pounds $190-206, selection 2 100-150 pounds $142-160.

Also on Monday, Hamilton kids weighing 20-40 pounds earned $190-210, 40-70 pounds $130-215 and 70 pounds and up $120-170. Thin nannies were $25-40 per head, medium $40-70 and fleshy $75-100, billies $90-110 cwt.

Fredericksburg on Tuesday reported selection 1 20-40 pound kids at $184-218, 40-60 pounds $175-200 and 60-80 pounds $165-201, selection 2 40-60 pounds $150-175 and 60-80 pounds $128-163. Nannies 80-140 pounds were $55-75, billies 90-175 pounds $85-100, a few lightweights $100-110, and muttons 90-110 pounds $100-122.

At San Angelo Tuesday, selection 1 kids weighing 30-40 pounds brought $174-200, 40-80 pounds $170-191 and 90-110 pounds $142-144, selection 1-2 25-40 pounds $135-164, 40-80 pounds $140-170 and 80-100 pounds $120-140. Selection 1-2 nannies 80-130 pounds were $65-77, 130-160 pounds $62-78 and a few thin 70-115 pounds $45-65.50, selection 1-2 billies 80-100 pounds $110-118 and 100-150 pounds $106-118, yearlings $116-126 and 150-250 pounds $93-118

Goat slaughter under federal inspection the week ending December 26 totaled 13,785 head. Goat meat imports for the week ending November 28 totaled 46 metric tons, all from Australia.

theres not enough holidays to account for that many goats
this is a weekly thing
i read a story a while back.
there are guys from the norteast U.S that buys several truck loads a week and trucks them back to the northeast.
it takes something like 36 hrs to truck them in from texas and they are all sold when they get there.

really who eats that much goat meat ?

cowboy43":35fhbpt5 said:
I know this is a cattle forum but does anyone know of a good sheep and goat forum ? I have searched the internet and can not find much information on raising them. I know absolutely nothing about them and would like to learn. I have been listening to the local auction owners and they are saying it is a good second income in raising them. With the many different ethnic groups moving into Texas it is a great demand for their meat especially for their holidays. Even a good book or magazine would be useful, not a magazine with 90% advertiseing and 10% articles.

when i was a young man i worked at feed store.
me and another guy had us a couple ropes and we were heeling one another and a old man came in and said hey you two goat ropers load me up here.
i thought he was just giving us a hard time, so i said we aint no goat ropers and we are about to go pro and git us a couple them big buckles...
he said bs!!!
i can smell the sheep on ya from here :D

When I was growing up in Luling Tx everyone went around smelling like oil, even the town and pickups smelled like oil, outsiders would come in and say this town sure stinks, and we would tell them thats the smell of money. maybe thats the way with sheep now thats the smell of money.

Barbados sheep-everybody thinks they're goats cause they don't have wool- anyway,they're easier to keep in a fence than a goat.. When you fence, don't have too big a square in the netting,as the sheep/goat will put their head through and not be able to get back out. Do you have a library nearby? I'd look there (for free) for a good book,then buy the best one..(Amazon)
Mother Earth magazine has some good articals about fencing and butchering.

friend of mine introduced me to a guy that has a goat feedlot over in Kentucky and a slaughter house in Illinois for goats he said he ran right at a 100,000 goats thru last yr and 60,000 sheep
He buys goats and sheep from all over
he has 3 custom built aluminium double decked trailers that are on the road all the time
He seems to be making pretty good $$$$$$$$

Angus Cowman":1u5yzn8h said:
friend of mine introduced me to a guy that has a goat feedlot over in Kentucky and a slaughter house in Illinois for goats he said he ran right at a 100,000 goats thru last yr and 60,000 sheep
He buys goats and sheep from all over
he has 3 custom built aluminium double decked trailers that are on the road all the time
He seems to be making pretty good $$$$$$$$
There's a guy just south of LOZ that does pretty much the same thing but only goats

I was told that you could run 6 sheep or goats on the same acreage as one cow. Now with the operating cost of a cow if you are honest with your operating expense you are lucky to make a small profit. So what would be the profit difference of 6 sheep to one cow be if they were raised on grass. I had to liquidate my cow herd because of the drought and I am looking at different options , I have been refenceing with net wire and going with stockers, some people run a combination of the two. This year before I restock with anything I am going to fence and reseed my pastures because the grass has been destroyed by the 4 year drought.

cowboy43":5zza5i7a said:
When I was growing up in Luling Tx everyone went around smelling like oil, even the town and pickups smelled like oil, outsiders would come in and say this town sure stinks, and we would tell them thats the smell of money. maybe thats the way with sheep now thats the smell of money.
:lol: Cowboy43, you know darn good and well Luling doesn't smell like oil. Agree it is from the oil industry but our oil doesn't smell like that. ;-) :lol2:

It is a unique aroma isn't it.

cowboy43":3vk3pszj said:

Google Goat Wisdom Proboards. I can never remember the exact address - sorry.

cowboy43":2n5crh2x said:
I was told that you could run 6 sheep or goats on the same acreage as one cow.

Actually, it's 8 to 10 goats for one cow.

Now with the operating cost of a cow if you are honest with your operating expense you are lucky to make a small profit. So what would be the profit difference of 6 sheep to one cow be if they were raised on grass.

Ok, the profit differences laid out:

1 - Goats eat shrubs, weeds, and trees - things that cattle will not usually look at unless they are starved into it. Do you have any idea how many people are making money with their goats by renting them out to clear brush, shrubs, and trees?

2 - Cattle have a gestation period of 9 months, and then usually produce a single calf. Goats on the other hand have a gestation period of 5 months and generally produce twins. Triplets are not unheard of, and one of my girls produced quads last spring. Personally, I'm happy with twins because triplets and quads take a pretty heavy toll on the doe even with extra grain and hay.

3 - Calfs are generally not weaned until 6 to 7 months of age, whereas buck kids are weaned at 2-3 months of age and doelings are weaned at 3-4 months of age - depending on their producer.

4 - A good heifer or cow is going to cost you anywhere from $800-$1300, whereas a good goat is going to cost you somewhere between $100 to $500 - depending on whether she is registered, purebred, and whether you buy private treaty or through the sale barn.

5 - A cow is going to require 30-40 lbs of feed/day, whereas a goat requires 5-10 lbs of feed/day - depending on whether it's a buck or a doe.

6 - There is a hugh demand for goat meat in this country. Hit the ethnic markets - especially Easter and Christmas, deliver what they want, and your pretty much guaranteed to earn a premium on your kids. Google goat meat demand if you don't believe me. You also have the option of growing them out if you so choose, and increasing your sale price. No, you're not going the get the same prices as you would on cattle, but they cost a whole lot to raise, it doesn't take as long for them to hit the desired weight, your initial input in the does is not going to be as much, and the feed input is a lot less.

7 - Except for trimming feet, chutes are not necessary because it is pretty easy to pin a goat to the fence or behind a gate, get a halter on her, and do what needs to be done. I've simply grabbed them by the horns and drug them up under the shed, or pinned them against the fence using only my legs if they had a problem letting their kids nurse - try either of the above with a cow and see what happens! :lol: :lol:

8 - Goats follow a whole lot better than they drive. I had a jail-break the other morning. I went out to feed only to find 51 does in the alleyway helping themselves to the hay that was sitting there. I walked down the alleyway to shut the gates across the south end, the 'pets' started following me and it didn't take long for the non-pets to follow them. The end result was they walked back into their pen before I even had a chance to shut the gates across the south end of the alley. I routinely turn my goats out in the summer time to eat weeds, etc. All I have to do to get them back in is either wait for evening - at which point they will voluntarily return to their shed, or shake a grain bucket - at which point they stampede back to their pen.

I'm sure there are things I'm leaving out, but that is what I can think of at this time. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

PS Goats have so much more personality than cattle do, it isn't even funny! They are curious, lively, loving animals that truly enjoy interacting with people. They can also test your patience further than you ever thought possible. I love my goats, and my only regret is that I didn't get them sooner. Don't misunderstand me, I loved the cattle too. It is just so much easier to handle and interact with the goats, there is a lot less room for injury, and I can do almost everything by myself.

thats what i like the most about the goats is that they are way more easy and safe for one person to work them alone. and you are right about personality, i liken them to a cross between a dog and a cow. basically a dog that eats grass.

the only "cons" really are:
keeping them in (which i've never had a problem with so far)
keeping them dewormed/alive.
and trimming feet.
and keeping them safe from dogs/predators.

Beefy":2ed394d8 said:
the only "cons" really are:
keeping them dewormed/alive.
and trimming feet.

Check into the Kiko breed for relief from both of the above. I have some Kiko cross does, and their feet don't grow like Boer's do. They are also more resistant to parasites than Boer's.

and keeping them safe from dogs/predators.

High fences that are as predator proof as you can make them, cattle panels/garden fence over the gates, etc. If that doesn't work get a guard dog or two. I had a predator get into my pens and kill one of my does. He/she made the mistake of getting in with the Nebraska girls, and they flat don't play well with others, so I only lost one - but she was one of my better does. At least I have her daughter, and I'm hoping she will carry on the tradition of her mother. I took precautions to make sure to reduce the risk of it happening again, but if it does I will have guard dogs in with my girls.