Goats selling for $8.65 lb!!??

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7":2lahn6la said:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sa_ls320.txt
Around three bucks a pound
There was an article in The Livestock Weekly talking about the goat market and the big goat sales in Texas
It said the goat buyers buy several truck loads a week in Texas and truck them to the northeast for the ethnic(muslim) population in that area
They said the US doesn't come close to meeting the market for goat and several metric tons are shipped in from Australia but some want live goats only. They want intact or young or different things and some have to be slaughtered a certain way facing the Mecca and etcs so live goat is in huge demand
As far Mexicans or Texicans I'd say there's not a lot bought from a sale barn for them
No self respecting Mexican or Texan is going to pay for a goat. He may have a few of his own for the purpose of a big BBQ or knows someone that does that he can trade beer or an invite to the BBQ for.
I don't know of anyone that eats goat as a regular staple. It's mostly just for big beer drinking, bonfires, BBQ and a social gathering
I don't think you get the current goat market in Texas or Ramadan.

kenny thomas":3oaq4izm said:
I am gonna say there is something wrong with the market report. The way the report shows it the small 25lb goats bring 3 times what the 100lb brings. Hard to raise them up and make a profit like that.
I don't know Kenny. I think they grow on the shadow of a blade of grass.

Kingfisher":be5up1n5 said:
cross_7":be5up1n5 said:
There was an article in The Livestock Weekly talking about the goat market and the big goat sales in Texas
It said the goat buyers buy several truck loads a week in Texas and truck them to the northeast for the ethnic(muslim) population in that area
They said the US doesn't come close to meeting the market for goat and several metric tons are shipped in from Australia but some want live goats only. They want intact or young or different things and some have to be slaughtered a certain way facing the Mecca and etcs so live goat is in huge demand
As far Mexicans or Texicans I'd say there's not a lot bought from a sale barn for them
No self respecting Mexican or Texan is going to pay for a goat. He may have a few of his own for the purpose of a big BBQ or knows someone that does that he can trade beer or an invite to the BBQ for.
I don't know of anyone that eats goat as a regular staple. It's mostly just for big beer drinking, bonfires, BBQ and a social gathering
I don't think you get the current goat market in Texas or Ramadan.

Texas is the largest goat producer in the US and I'd have to look but I'd bet Texas produces 80-90% of the goats in the US
So it would depend on what market your referring to
The price they buy the goats for or the price they sell the goats for to the end user

Goat is very good to eat. You can not find it much around here, but it was popular in CA when we lived there. My students raised mostly Boer goats or crosses, up to about 110 pounds. Our booster club would always buy a few of the student auction animals, and each year one night they would BBQ for the kids, parents, and teachers. We called it mystery meat night, since you were not allowed to ask what was put on your plate. It could have been beef, lamb, pork or goat. Since I helped with the BBQ, I was an official taste tester! :nod: I liked it all except the lamb chops.

Talking about rituals; when I worked at the dairy, the owner had an old cow that a family bought. They asked if they could butcher it there in the pen, and he said sure. He did not realize that they had a ritual that was not to his liking until after he saw what they put that cow through, and never again let another person butcher a cow on his land.

cross_7":33mmxe0m said:

You need to drop in the big grocery stores in South Texas sometimes. Huge amounts of goat...even the head "with horns" is available.

We have a lot of foreigners here in America. Many of them grew up eating things that we don't eat. Goat isn't bad eating at all. I simply don't have a burning desire to eat it from my upbringing. There were places they could slaughter sheep and goat themselves in Mansfield that are now closed. You'd be surprised at the number of folks who live in the metro-plex who would like to slaughter a lamb or goat themselves out on your farm.

TexasBred":2soemqxe said:
cross_7":2soemqxe said:

You need to drop in the big grocery stores in South Texas sometimes. Huge amounts of goat...even the head "with horns" is available.

:lol:
Reminds me of the first time I saw a whole hog head in the grocery store
I thought to myself now who in the hell wants to buy a hog head

HDRider":153vcec0 said:
I have wondered if any folks on here raised goats.

I used to. Here, goats are the complete opposite of cattle and the last thing you want to do is put them on good pasture else the worm load will kill one every time the wind blows. If you put them in some pure junky woods where they can browse and not graze, raising them is easy as pie and they multiply like rabbits but as soon as the place starts looking clean you best sell all you have. I've thought about fencing off a land lot of planted pine and just turning a few goats loose on it and coming back and checking on them in a couple of years.

That's kind of what my Dad used to do Jogeephus. He'd go to the auction down in goat country and buy a trailer load. Rotate them in behind the cows. Those goats all had something wrong with them. Hooves damaged from being in a sand lot etc. We'd trim hooves. We'd shove a worm pill down their throats. We'd give each one a dose of Pen. Sheer the ones that needed it. Then he'd turn them loose in the pasture to clean up brush rotating them behind the cows. We lost darn few. Some would have kids while they were there. Eventually dad would load the whole bunch back up and haul them to Fort Worth and sell them for twice what he paid.

cross_7":3r5xgpm4 said:
:lol:
Reminds me of the first time I saw a whole hog head in the grocery store
I thought to myself now who in the be nice wants to buy a hog head

Come back 30 minutes latter and it's gone. :lol2: :lol2: Here you go buddy....eat up. Probably better than turkey nuts. :lol2:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010 ... ecipe.html

hillbilly beef man":16b7t6oo said:
Looked at the UT market report (http://economics.ag.utk.edu/market/tnmk ... 011615.pdf) and about died when I got dowm to the goat section. Selection 3, 25-35 lbs selling for 270.00-865.00. Is this a normal price for goats or is this some kind of local abnormality? I have eaten goat and thought it was pretty good, but in no way worth this much.

GHOSTS are worth that much.. not goats

backhoeboogie":rrhx2vpx said:
That's kind of what my Dad used to do Jogeephus. He'd go to the auction down in goat country and buy a trailer load. Rotate them in behind the cows. Those goats all had something wrong with them. Hooves damaged from being in a sand lot etc. We'd trim hooves. We'd shove a worm pill down their throats. We'd give each one a dose of Pen. Sheer the ones that needed it. Then he'd turn them loose in the pasture to clean up brush rotating them behind the cows. We lost darn few. Some would have kids while they were there. Eventually dad would load the whole bunch back up and haul them to Fort Worth and sell them for twice what he paid.

I've toyed with the idea in the past, but just don't want to have to go through all the work of fencing for them- what kind of fencing did you use? Plus, what about coyotes? We have a pretty good coyote population.

Commercialfarmer":3bj6024o said:
backhoeboogie":3bj6024o said:

I've toyed with the idea in the past, but just don't want to have to go through all the work of fencing for them- what kind of fencing did you use? Plus, what about coyotes? We have a pretty good coyote population.

Biggest coyote I've ever saw was up there in Woods Co
It was last winter. It was cold and foggy and I was walking around on foot just looking things over and he was bedded down. He jumped up and ran a 100' or so and stopped and looked me over then casually trotted off.
I bet he weighed 60 or 70 pounds.

Commercialfarmer":1bvwkgo2 said:
backhoeboogie":1bvwkgo2 said:

Net wire. Three strands of barbed wire on top. Replacing staves was my job.

We would get some that had to be yoked - period. You couldn't park anything in those pastures unless you didn't mind goats jumping up on top of it.

Dogs were more of a problem than coyotes there at his place. We had a pack of wild dogs in the mid 70's roaming thru. We trapped and shot all we could. The smaller dogs in the pack may have starved out eventually. Gallicino horse hated them but I think he hated goats more. Couldn't put him in a pasture with goats.

Alot of land around here was cleaned up by being "goated out". When I was a kid, people would cut the trees for wood in the winter and turn brush goats in to eat the sprouts down and kill them out. I tried goat once.
Kind of like the two guys talking and one said, I tried goat once, didn't like it and never again. Then he said, I tried sheep once, didn't like it, so never again. Then he said, I tried llama once, didn't like it, so never again. He saw a car coming down the road, and said I better get ready to go, here comes my son. The other guy thought for a moment and said, Your ONLY son, no doubt!

You have to know how to cook goat. When done right is really good. Done wrong its aweful stuff. Was invited to eat goat at a guy's place who I think married his sister. Had all sorts of things like potato salad, slaw, corn on the cob, peach cobbler .... and goat. He told me to help myself to the goat and he pointed over to a pot and there in the pot was a goat leg simmering .... complete with hoof and hair and on shank. He grabbed it by the hairy shank and lifted the leg out of the pot and told me to help myself. I did .... to peach cobbler and potato salad. I went vegan that day.