Sheep or Goats

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7":3f7eupix said:
The two largest markets for Australian goat meat
exports are the US and Taiwan (DAFF 2006-07).
Demand in the US is generated from the
Hispanics, the largest minority group in the US.

heck i'm in west texas and the hispanics are NOT the minority here.
they bbq a goat now and then, but the majority of their bbq's are brisket.
i bet the majority of the goats raised in texas are shipped out of state and i also bet most of it is not eaten by hispanics.
i'm going quit before i offend someone.

Cross you need to get out of West Texas and go to South Texas and other areas. Mexicans love goat. They're raised on goat, chicken, fish and pork....not a lot of beef....you don't change your eating patterns 100% just because you cross a river. Go into a mexican supermarket. Even the goat heads are for sale. There are probalby more mexicans in Texas than there are arabs in the whole 50 states.

Keren":20bfvz5e said:
oh my god do a bit of research before you post crap, would you? Muslims eat halal meat - and amazingly enough - the australian goat meat that goes to US is halal - in boxes. Actually, your complete argument doesnt make any sense - because you say that muslims eat most of the goat meat in the us but then you say that muslims wont eat boxed imported meat. You had best make up your mind

first of all you need to calm down and get your panties out of a twist.
who's arguing ?
i was saying the goats sold in the texas auctions were going to the muslims (from what i've read it has to be a live animal and butchered according to their beliefs)
In order to satisfy the demand for goat products targeted towards Muslims the products need to conform to Muslim dietary laws. Products that conform to Muslim dietary laws are called Halal foods. In order for goat meat to be Halal it must be slaughtered by a Muslim butcher, who says a prayer to Allah and the animals must be drained of blood before processing (Morrison, p.4). The animal's head must also be facing Mecca at the time of slaughter (Larson and Thompson, p.2). While the largest group, Arab Muslims are not the only potential market for Halal goat meat. Other Muslim groups include Pakistanis, Indians and Somalis (Morrison, p.1).

Despite the increase in the Hispanic population the greatest potential probably lies in selling products to the Muslim market. According to Psychiatric News, 300,000 people of Arab descent live in Southeast Michigan. This is the second largest Arab community in the world outside of Middle East. Nationwide, it is estimated that more than 8 million Muslims live in the U.S. and that Islam is now the fastest-growing religion in the U.S. (Psychiatric New, p.13). Goat meat is a traditional part of the diet of many people from the Middle East

also it is estimated that there are only 2 million goats in the U.S so that would account for such a large number of imports

where in that quote does it say it must be a live animal? and I dont even know what you mean by it has to be a live animal ... cos last I checked all sheep, cows and goats were live animals before they are butchered, whether it is halal butchered or otherwise.

And yes, I know what halal slaughter involves. Since all my animals are done halal. And every week we process wethers so I have seen the process hundreds of times.

Australia is the worlds largest exporter of goat meat. And while the US produced goat meat may be consumed by muslims, the majority of Australian produced goat meat, consumed in the US, is consumed by hispanics.

cross_7":2qt4wl0q said:
RN BSN":2qt4wl0q said:
Why don't all of you take your goat crap off this cattle board..............

why don't you..
wait a minute.. you have good point there :D
This is the stuff that Macon added the everything else board for.

Keren":8453fogm said:
where in that quote does it say it must be a live animal? and I dont even know what you mean by it has to be a live animal ... cos last I checked all sheep, cows and goats were live animals before they are butchered, whether it is halal butchered or otherwise.

And yes, I know what halal slaughter involves. Since all my animals are done halal. And every week we process wethers so I have seen the process hundreds of times.

Australia is the worlds largest exporter of goat meat. And while the US produced goat meat may be consumed by muslims, the majority of Australian produced goat meat, consumed in the US, is consumed by hispanics.

one last thing
my mind at times works in black and white, right or left etc...no in between or gray area.
it never occured to me that anyone would cater to their customers in such a fashion(halal) , but i just read where there are now fast food place offering muslim diet foods..
just blows my mind

cross_7":xzwp6zbf said:
Keren":xzwp6zbf said:

one last thing
my mind at times works in black and white, right or left etc...no in between or gray area.
it never occured to me that anyone would cater to their customers in such a fashion(halal) , but i just read where there are now fast food place offering muslim diet foods..
just blows my mind

If there is a demand, supply will quickly follow.
Most immigrants to the USA and Canada over the last 30 years are from places and traditions which eat goat. An American job will buy a good goat for the holidays. If one of us sells that goat for a profit, I'm all for that.
I'm betting the second and third generations will eat more beef than goat but only time will tell.

john250":1thb6u67 said:
cross_7":1thb6u67 said:
Keren":1thb6u67 said:

one last thing
just blows my mind

If there is a demand, supply will quickly follow.
Most immigrants to the USA and Canada over the last 30 years are from places and traditions which eat goat. An American job will buy a good goat for the holidays. If one of us sells that goat for a profit, I'm all for that.
I'm betting the second and third generations will eat more beef than goat but only time will tell.

by cross_7 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:27 pm
i've noticed in the livestock weekly that goats seem to be bringing good money.
i just can't imagine that there is a market for a goat.
are there that many foreigners in the U.S ?
don't they want beef now that they have access to it ?
what about their kids that are born here, don't they prefer beef or chicken over goat ?
as i said it makes no sense to me.

john thats what i don't understand
why would you prefer goat over beef or chicken of whatever

In spite of this thread I went and bought some goat yesterday. Will make a curry either today or tomorrow in the slow cooker. I also eat kangaroo. I eat it because it's nice to have something different, and both are very lean and healthy. Plenty of people here eat rabbit too, I don't understand that but it's none of my business. Haven't tried venison but it's on the list.

The goat played a massive role in colonisation here, it was pretty much a poor man's horse and completed many jobs/roles: milk, meat, transport, draught. Hardy animals that eat anything obviously would be suited to much of Australia (as we can see in the feral goats). So there is a big history of them.

FYI most of Australia abs are Halal now. It's not that hard to ensure the killing box points towards Mecca and have a Islamic kill man. And by doing so they open up their market to a whole other group of people. Muslim countries prefer live animals (if you look at that report I posted from MLA earlier you'll see that the USA buys most of the chiller goat where as asiatic and middle eastern countries buy live) but in western countries as long as an animal has been killed halal, they will still eat it. Especially when I was in London I saw a lot of Halal butchers.

cross_7":22buqo66 said:

Personally, I prefer beef.
If someone prefers goat, I'd be interested to sample. Never have had one.
Do you eat turkey or ham at Thanksgiving? Most of us eat one or the other, for no other reason than tradition. The goat market is driven by immigrants who eat goat meat by tradition.
They aren't rejecting beef. Over time, I think we can upgrade a lot of them to beef. But it is likely the holidays will always be goat.

john250":euwsmt8v said:
cross_7":euwsmt8v said:

Personally, I prefer beef.
If someone prefers goat, I'd be interested to sample. Never have had one.
Do you eat turkey or ham at Thanksgiving? Most of us eat one or the other, for no other reason than tradition. The goat market is driven by immigrants who eat goat meat by tradition.
They aren't rejecting beef. Over time, I think we can upgrade a lot of them to beef. But it is likely the holidays will always be goat.

we normally have the tradtional turkey & dressing, but for a change we have enchilates. tamales, beans, rice, fajitas and etc. some years.
but that won't happen again, we had a bad batch of tamales this year :!:
heck now i'm afraid to at a mexican food restaurant. :D

aussie_cowgirl":2tno4nlw said:
In spite of this thread I went and bought some goat yesterday. Will make a curry either today or tomorrow in the slow cooker. I also eat kangaroo. I eat it because it's nice to have something different, and both are very lean and healthy. Plenty of people here eat rabbit too, I don't understand that but it's none of my business. Haven't tried venison but it's on the list.

The goat played a massive role in colonisation here, it was pretty much a poor man's horse and completed many jobs/roles: milk, meat, transport, draught. Hardy animals that eat anything obviously would be suited to much of Australia (as we can see in the feral goats). So there is a big history of them.

FYI most of Australia abs are Halal now. It's not that hard to ensure the killing box points towards Mecca and have a Islamic kill man. And by doing so they open up their market to a whole other group of people. Muslim countries prefer live animals (if you look at that report I posted from MLA earlier you'll see that the USA buys most of the chiller goat where as asiatic and middle eastern countries buy live) but in western countries as long as an animal has been killed halal, they will still eat it. Especially when I was in London I saw a lot of Halal butchers.

where did you get the goat ?
do they have it for sale in stores there ?
i guess it's available in stores here but i have never seen it

cross_7":1xudbgcb said:
aussie_cowgirl":1xudbgcb said:

where did you get the goat ?
do they have it for sale in stores there ?
i guess it's available in stores here but i have never seen it

The supermarket doesn't have it but a lot of butchers do. Actually the butcher I got it from was a western butcher. Not a lot though, leg roast and pieces like I got which I assume are foreleg pieces.

I love grilled lamb chops. Don't know about goat. I've never tried it and have never even seen any for sale. I do like goat milk cheese- Chevre.:D

The kangaroo is what I'm interested in . If it'll put a little more bounce in my step i want some. :lol2: :lol2:

curtis":3n4bnabr said:
The kangaroo is what I'm interested in . If it'll put a little more bounce in my step i want some. :lol2: :lol2:

Dunno about the bounce :lol2: :lol2: Tastes good though. It's very lean and some people find it gamey but I think it's ok. The taste reminds me a bit of marinated beef; very rich. Definitely a lot of flavour. low fat, high iron, high protein.

aussie_cowgirl":z63sc30y said:
curtis":z63sc30y said:

Dunno about the bounce :lol2: :lol2: Tastes good though. It's very lean and some people find it gamey but I think it's ok. The taste reminds me a bit of marinated beef; very rich. Definitely a lot of flavour. low fat, high iron, high protein.

do you buy the roo or do you hunt them like deer ?

cross_7":2g1vser8 said:
aussie_cowgirl":2g1vser8 said:
curtis":2g1vser8 said:

Mostly buy, mainstream supermarkets stock it actually. Farmers mostly use it for dog meat. Although a few times we've got it off some aboriginal friends who caught them hunting.

do you buy the roo or do you hunt them like deer ?[/quote]

Mostly buy, mainstream supermarkets stock it actually. Farmers mostly use it for dog meat. Although a few times we've got it off some aboriginal friends who caught them hunting.[/quote]

off the subject but i have a couple of mccallum border collies descendants of the dogs tony mccallum brought over when he lived in the U.S for a while. best cowdogs i've ever owned.

let us know how the goat meat works out

cross_7":3mdc5080 said:

Mostly buy, mainstream supermarkets stock it actually. Farmers mostly use it for dog meat. Although a few times we've got it off some aboriginal friends who caught them hunting.[/quote]

off the subject but i have a couple of mccallum border collies descendants of the dogs tony mccallum brought over when he lived in the U.S for a while. best cowdogs i've ever owned.

let us know how the goat meat works out[/quote]

No worries. I might even recommend it :nod: :p