Goats selling for $8.65 lb!!??

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know much about goats so I couldn't tell you if those prices are high, low, or otherwise... One thing that I do know is that goat meat is the most popular meat sold world-wide (I found that odd, but I guess when you factor in all the countries that don't eat beef, is does make sense).

Goats have been way higher than beef for a long time, for the reasons TNCM mentioned. They take less acreage to raise and are market-ready before 6 mos. old. Goat meat, "chevon," "cabrito" (depends on your language as to what it's called) is readily available in stores in the SW, but not up here because there isn't enough supply on-the-hoof to be able to keep it in the meat case all the time -- same reason you hardly ever see rabbit in your markets. I've thought about bringing in some boer goats and grazing them behind the cattle. You need super-tight fencing to keep them in or a really tight set of hot wires. There's a beef raising family near us whose son (now in college) started doing that when he was 12-13 years old. The cattle eat the grass; the goats clean up most of the weeds. He's done well with them. But we've got enough to do around here w/out messing with goats.

TN Cattle Man":1z9jxox8 said:
I don't know much about goats so I couldn't tell you if those prices are high, low, or otherwise... One thing that I do know is that goat meat is the most popular meat sold world-wide (I found that odd, but I guess when you factor in all the countries that don't eat beef, is does make sense).

There are no countrys where people do not eat beef, even India has some 400 millions of them. Just saying.

Market around here is very unstable seen it basically crash after being up for a few years and now it seems to be going back up

hillbilly beef man":vkrpf0a3 said:
Looked at the UT market report (http://economics.ag.utk.edu/market/tnmk ... 011615.pdf) and about died when I got dowm to the goat section. Selection 3, 25-35 lbs selling for 270.00-865.00. Is this a normal price for goats or is this some kind of local abnormality? I have eaten goat and thought it was pretty good, but in no way worth this much.

Muslims and mexicans. :!: :!:

TexasBred":3gwj53e0 said:
hillbilly beef man":3gwj53e0 said:
Looked at the UT market report (http://economics.ag.utk.edu/market/tnmk ... 011615.pdf) and about died when I got dowm to the goat section. Selection 3, 25-35 lbs selling for 270.00-865.00. Is this a normal price for goats or is this some kind of local abnormality? I have eaten goat and thought it was pretty good, but in no way worth this much.

They gotta eat, too. ;) Years ago, when I raised pygmy goats, there was an African immigrant (motivational speaker, worked hard at getting an education, very hard worker in our community). Goat meat was a treat for their special occasions, and goat meat was what he was raised on. The measure of "wealth" in his part of Africa was how large your goat herd was. My older does went to him for $-0-. I knew they would be quickly and humanely put down, and even a small animal fed several families.

Kathie in Thorp":3vswcbln said:
They gotta eat, too. ;) Years ago, when I raised pygmy goats, there was an African immigrant (motivational speaker, worked hard at getting an education, very hard worker in our community). Goat meat was a treat for their special occasions, and goat meat was what he was raised on. The measure of "wealth" in his part of Africa was how large your goat herd was. My older does went to him for $-0-. I knew they would be quickly and humanely put down, and even a small animal fed several families.
Kathie one of the priests at our church is from Nigeria. First thing he wanted to do when he arrived was obtain a goat from somewhere, kill it the traditional way (for them anyway) and prepare if for everyone. Half the folks thought he was crazy. I had eaten goat several times so knew it would be good no matter how it was fixed. Turned out it was out of this world and he was thrilled that everyone had enjoyed a bit of his culture.

TexasBred":1u83msvg said:
Kathie in Thorp":1u83msvg said:
[

Kathie one of the priests at our church is from Nigeria. First thing he wanted to do when he arrived was obtain a goat from somewhere, kill it the traditional way (for them anyway) and prepare if for everyone. Half the folks thought he was crazy. I had eaten goat several times so knew it would be good no matter how it was fixed. Turned out it was out of this world and he was thrilled that everyone had enjoyed a bit of his culture.

Yep. I only dealt w/ the African guy at my place. A neighbor had sheep -- He had Hispanic, Asian, and African and Mid-east people. Some of them got kind of crazy in their slaughtering rituals, and he finally told them they couldn't do it on his place -- take them somewhere else. My African guy -- I'd loan him a kennel crate, he'd take the animal out, do their thing, and bring me back the kennel. It wasn't something I wanted to watch.

Kathie in Thorp":14b6l9ki said:
Rafter S":14b6l9ki said:
I've trIed goat meat a time or two. It's better than sheep, but that's about all I can say for it.
Goats are like sheep, sorta . . . better younger than older. Lamb and mutton are two totally different things.

It just seems like the longer I chew it the bigger it gets.

Rafter S":kyyjyp7u said:
Kathie in Thorp":kyyjyp7u said:
Rafter S":kyyjyp7u said:
I've trIed goat meat a time or two. It's better than sheep, but that's about all I can say for it.
Goats are like sheep, sorta . . . better younger than older. Lamb and mutton are two totally different things.

It just seems like the longer I chew it the bigger it gets.

LOL!! Have not had that issue with good lamb or GOOD cabrito. My dad would never eat lamb by choice -- he was raised during the depression time, if good luck for a meat source went to mutton. Since, he's had lamb and enjoyed it, but not if he knows it's lamb before he eats it. My hubby is kinda the same way. Every other year I buy 1/2 lamb, but that's my treat for me.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sa_ls320.txt
Around three bucks a pound
There was an article in The Livestock Weekly talking about the goat market and the big goat sales in Texas
It said the goat buyers buy several truck loads a week in Texas and truck them to the northeast for the ethnic(muslim) population in that area
They said the US doesn't come close to meeting the market for goat and several metric tons are shipped in from Australia but some want live goats only. They want intact or young or different things and some have to be slaughtered a certain way facing the Mecca and etcs so live goat is in huge demand
As far Mexicans or Texicans I'd say there's not a lot bought from a sale barn for them
No self respecting Mexican or Texan is going to pay for a goat. He may have a few of his own for the purpose of a big BBQ or knows someone that does that he can trade beer or an invite to the BBQ for.
I don't know of anyone that eats goat as a regular staple. It's mostly just for big beer drinking, bonfires, BBQ and a social gathering

I am gonna say there is something wrong with the market report. The way the report shows it the small 25lb goats bring 3 times what the 100lb brings. Hard to raise them up and make a profit like that.

CEDF43F8-3972-4C70-944F-1570BEA480C2-12132-000018396084AFAC_zpsffc1a4dc.jpg

Good looking bunch Ouachita. There's quite a few goats in my area. I've got a neighbor that has about 100 nannies, and he does pretty well with them, but he takes them to a buyer out of state. From there, most of them get shipped up to markets in PA and NJ. I used to have several myself, but sold all but a handful of them. The biggest challenge I found with goats other than fencing is keeping them wormed. They can be alot more fragile than people think. It seems like once they get a little puny, they can go down really fast. We had some little ones born this week, and had to keep them up in the garage for a few days to keep them warm til they got their strength built up. They'll sure make you appreciate the hardiness of cattle even more.