Give me your thoughts on this cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Kennedy Farms

Reaction score
I've seen several posts where people critique cows and explain what they like and what they do not like. Please take a look and give me your opinion on this one.
3080_Halfblood.JPG

I have thick skin, so do not hesitate to tell me what you do not like.

Andy

That's a good looking cow. I can't imagine anything wrong with it. I like the head a little low so it fits my idea of the good cow; not perfect but good cow. A bigger bag could make her a little better but I don't know if she's open, calved, nursing (unlikely) or what.

Sorry, can't criticize you on it. I just think its a good looking cow.

Andrew

Bullbuyer":3db992c5 said:
Looks fine to me! I'm sure someone will make some comment about color or her tail needs brushed or something!

Our cows are 99% red and I don;t even see her color as being wrong. Don;t know her age but she by looks alone seems to be just a solid cow.

dun,

She is 4 yrs old. She was open when the picture was taken and her calf had been weaned a month or so earlier. She is solid, and holds that body condition on grass (with minerals) in the summer and hay (with some winter grazing) in the winter.

Kennedy Farms":9cop9vfo said:
dun,

She is 4 yrs old. She was open when the picture was taken and her calf had been weaned a month or so earlier. She is solid, and holds that body condition on grass (with minerals) in the summer and hay (with some winter grazing) in the winter.

I guess she does hold her condition with a prolonged open period like that. :roll:

Around here, if they aren't bred by about 60 days after calving they take a ride................

BC":29m4vksr said:
I don't mean to criticze, but why woul;d you want an open cow when you had just weaned her calf?

She was bred on time, but for some reason she aborted at about five months. She was held over to keep her calving with the herd. Thanks for the input.

Kennedy Farms":mpev8yrn said:
BC":mpev8yrn said:
I don't mean to criticze, but why woul;d you want an open cow when you had just weaned her calf?

She was bred on time, but for some reason she aborted at about five months. She was held over to keep her calving with the herd. Thanks for the input.

I've done the same hting myslef a time or 2. As long as it doesn;t get to be a regualsr thing it can work out.

Kennedy Farms":nvq4yrsd said:
I've seen several posts where people critique cows and explain what they like and what they do not like. Please take a look and give me your opinion on this one.

Andy

I like her.

I'm no where nearly as good as some are on here when it comes to judging cows, but I will say she looks good to me. I would take her. Is she bringing a good calf when she's bred? If so then hey she's a keeper.

Kennedy Farms":1olgq64m said:
BC":1olgq64m said:

I understand now.

dun":24aodqec said:
Our cows are 99% red and I don;t even see her color as being wrong. Don;t know her age but she by looks alone seems to be just a solid cow.

Once again Dun said what I stumbled over. Our cattle are primarily black and I was afraid to say much about it as too many people get bent about the whole angus thing. Personally, if the cow is right and the color works in your area of the country, I say overlook it if she has a little problem from time to time. Sort of like people that post big eared cattle, they will not sell in our area but I still appreciate them...

Yea she looks like a great cow. Has a bit of red and the bag is small but she should bring out nice calves. Is she a bit short compared to what most people like? the body is full but i thought maybe the legs were a bit short and wanted to know if i am a nut :D

Kennedy Farms":2mk0n48i said:
3080_Halfblood.JPG

Andy

Okay, Andy. Here's what I like and what I do not like about her:

What I like:

- excellent feminine head and neck extension
- excellent strong, straight topline
- excellent depth
- good spring of rib
- very good condition
- very good well laid in tail head
- looks like very nice hip to pin space and angle - large pelvic capacity
- excellent muscling in the hindquarter for an angus
- acceptably sound feet and legs
- appears to have an acceptable udder
- appears to have a good temperament

What I dont like:

- appears to be slightly heavy in the shoulder, but that could be an optical illusion because she has her head down slightly
- she's a little flat on the front feet, and the claws are slightly long - - to be expected from an old cow but she is not that old
- that she is not in my paddock ;-)

Beautiful cow - I'm not in general a fan of any black cattle, but if all black cows looked like this I would be racing to get them. She is pretty close to my ideal brood cow. I love her. Congrats.

Thanks for the comments everyone. She is a good one in my opinion. I'll post a pic of her calf when she calves.

Thanks again,
Andy

Latest posts