Getting started

Help Support CattleToday:

gander801

Reaction score
Hello I am In southeast Georgia and just starting out had a run of bad picks. Listened to the warning about sale barns so I went with other cattle owners, well there are some crooked people out there. Well this is what I am starting with.
image97.jpg

Red Bull Breeder":293nla8o said:
Well we all do what we can. You need to find a feed store and use it. Those calves need a dose of wormer and a bunch of good feed.

I don't normally agree with RBB but I agree. I wouldn't do the wormer feed nor block or pour on I would use injectable wormer I use ivomec or however you spell it. I don't know there weights but if really young put them on some southern states calf developer for a while with free choice GOOD hay and then start with some Southern states Jumpstart. I buy small calves from the sale barns and thats what I have been doing. I also think you should consult a vet and get a good vaccine program started that they think fits your area.

Edit something else id like to add is salebarns are not bad places you just gotta know what you are doing or have someone who does help you. There is alot of $ that can be made that someone else leaves on the table at the sale barn. My advice which is just that is do not look at sale barns as a bad place to buy. :2cents:

Just starting out I would not recommend using a injectable wormer. To many different types of potential problems. First thing is you need to be able to restrain a calf. Then call a vet and have them show you how it's done. You and the calf can get hurt screwing with needles, and trying to do stuff you know nothing about.

Alright thanks I'll look into that feed today I got a clf starter feed for the local mill here. All were given a shot of ivermectin when they got of the trailer will give another dose soon. As far as a vet the only vet in my area that comes out has never done cows. There is one about an hour away but he is on vacation till the new year. Thanks for the tips. I believe that what I seen go through the sale barn this past week would but these things shame. I know that's not saying much but that is the way I feel.

Definitely scary buying for the first time. I strayed from my plan to only buy pairs to get started. I bought four calves from a local guy. I ended up losing one of them to respiratory issues. I was able to get the others on the right track after finding a local vet to sell me draxxin. We also followed his advice on vaccines.
About a month after I bought them. Someone posted on Craigslist asking if anyone else had issues buying calves from a guy in the same area. After talking to this person, turns out he had 15 people contact him saying they lost a lot of money losing calves they bought from this guy. Most we're probably just inexperienced buyers, As was I. I feel lucky that I was able to save 3 of mine.

highgrit":h6xlvp4x said:
Just starting out I would not recommend using a injectable wormer. To many different types of potential problems. First thing is you need to be able to restrain a calf. Then call a vet and have them show you how it's done. You and the calf can get hurt screwing with needles, and trying to do stuff you know nothing about.

Before I got a headgate and was starting out I used the divider in the trailer and pressed calves behind it and gave the shots. You gotta learn sometime. I think there is enough information on the internet that he could learn to give shots though.

At least the dog looks happy (they didn't pass that dog off as a calf did they?)

Lazy M":18hk8u25 said:
At least the dog looks happy (they didn't pass that dog off as a calf did they?)

LOL the dog is about the only good purchase I have made in the past few months.

Latest posts