getting started

Help Support CattleToday:

Auctionman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to cows and getting started soon. I just bought a house with a barn so have decided to raise some cows. I went to a auction last week to see how things work and am going to buy some Friday morning. I am going to try to get a couple holstein cows and a large beef bull. I want my calves to have the most milk possible. I don't have pasture, but am planning on feeding 10 pounds of corn a day. I was told I need hay, but I think the corn should do. My friend told me only angus is worth buying because they are the best meat, is that true? Will the cows need to be brushed at all? I was also wondering if I could put shock collars on them and use a invisible dog fence? One last question. My wife wants to buy a male horse, do I have to worry about it breeding my cows? If it does what do you do with the offspring? Help me out folks. Thank you.

Auctionman":fzyejf59 said:
Hi, I'm new to cows and getting started soon. I just bought a house with a barn so have decided to raise some cows. I went to a auction last week to see how things work and am going to buy some Friday morning. I am going to try to get a couple holstein cows and a large beef bull. I want my calves to have the most milk possible. I don't have pasture, but am planning on feeding 10 pounds of corn a day. I was told I need hay, but I think the corn should do. My friend told me only angus is worth buying because they are the best meat, is that true? Will the cows need to be brushed at all? I was also wondering if I could put shock collars on them and use a invisible dog fence? One last question. My wife wants to buy a male horse, do I have to worry about it breeding my cows? If it does what do you do with the offspring? Help me out folks. Thank you.

I would re-evaluate the word "soon" if I were you. Take some more time and do some more research.

Who told you they needed hay and why don't you believe them? Do you believe dun?

angus9259":130avwsh said:
Auctionman":130avwsh said:

I would re-evaluate the word "soon" if I were you. Take some more time and do some more research.

Who told you they needed hay and why don't you believe them? Do you believe dun?

I like to jump right into things. I'm buy Friday, but wont have feed delivered till Sunday, will that be okay? As for hay it cost to much and I got a deal on some "hole" corn?

cowboy43":7jgf8d4w said:
I am still pondering crossing a horse and cow! I have gone blank on anymore comments :help: :help:

I guess people just keep them separate at all times. I'm surprised you don't see more of them out there!

Some of you have some weird stuff to say! I just talked to a guy that has a heffer that is #650 and going to calf soon. I am going to pick it up this afternoon. My first cow, I'm so excited. I'll pick p a bag of soy on the way home. My dad use to give or pigs soybeans, they did great.

Auctionman":3ufsxu1l said:
Also how do you know how old a cow is?

Measure the distance between a front leg and a back leg diagonally while stand still. Take that number and convert it to metrics. Since metrics are in factors of ten you divide by ten and add 32 to convert to the F degree scale. Then compare that to a cow of known age and interpolate.

Edit: Some people on here will claim that they can count the rings, but that is pure BS, or CS as it were.

So Bannedagain posts about keeping things interesting, then this feller shows up. :cowboy:
As far as crossing the cow and horse we have been doing that for years, it is called a Corse. We use them for bucking stock. Ain't found a cowboy yet that could ride one. We are trying to get the PBR to buck one at an event in Tulsa in August.

Auctionman":1n9970hu said:
Also how do you know how old a cow is?

You stick a finger up their rear end and start counting. The young ones will kick you in less that 30 seconds anything over 5 will stand there for at least a minute before they turn around and stomp the crap out of you.

Latest posts