Getting some snow

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm curious and have some questions for you folks that live this routinely.

How do you keep your truck doors from freezing shut?

How do you keep your eyelids from freezing to your eyeballs when you blink?

Do y'all blink?

How do you pee when your out checking cows. Do you have to pre-heat it? Post-heat? Heat tape or what? Don't be shy.
I have had the door to the tractor freeze shut, but have always have been able to get it open. Usually a little heat or hot water thaws them out. They make a deicer that works.

I have not had any problems with eyelids, mostly my face get very cold. I try not to stay out for very long.

Peeing could be a problem, I usually wait until I get in. This morning there was no way I was going to pull it out in -40 temps.

So, what you're saying is no battery powered heat strip. Dang, I was hoping to send my wife to Walmart to ask for one in my size.
If your wife is anything like my ex that would go over like a lead balloon. Send you wife to Walmart for a weaner warmer, bet you would get the LOOK. We all know how deadly the LOOK is. 🤣 No man alive has ever wanted to see the LOOK.

If your wife is anything like my ex that would go over like a lead balloon. Send you wife to Walmart for a weaner warmer, bet you would get the LOOK. We all know how deadly the LOOK is. 🤣 No man alive has ever wanted to see the LOOK.
My ex would have fell for it, then gave me the look after getting back home.

My lovely wife would have played along, then came home to tell me she had to special order for me, because they don't stock pre-pubescent sizes.

My ex would have fell for it, then gave me the look after getting back home.

My lovely wife would have played along, then came home to tell me she had to special order for me, because they don't stock pre-pubescent sizes.
Mine would toss me a Cheerio and tell me to microwave it! The woman is heartless I tell you! 😂

But wait , I read post after post here a few weeks ago how much better the climate ect in the north was SO much better for cattle then southern areas?
Now you are telling me that temperatures below freezing and frozen water troughs and difficult feeding have to be dealt with ?🤔

It's -6 with a -30 wind chill here right now going to be cold until Sunday or Monday. No barn just a run in shed for wind and keep them dry. Water keeps freezing up. So far they all seem fine but still worry.

We were -8* last night and above 0* today. Headed to the 30s Saturday and 40-50* by mid-week. I hate feeding hay before February, but sometimes just have to do it. Rolled an alfalfa bale down the hill today - a bale bed on the truck would be a nice addition to the equipment here. This should be the last bale they need until the next storm.

1671830539039.png

But wait , I read post after post here a few weeks ago how much better the climate ect in the north was SO much better for cattle then southern areas?
Now you are telling me that temperatures below freezing and frozen water troughs and difficult feeding have to be dealt with ?🤔
It's not the cows that have to deal with that.

I tried to find one of those magnetic block heaters today, everyone in town is out.
We were -8* last night and above 0* today. Headed to the 30s Saturday and 40-50* by mid-week. I hate feeding hay before February, but sometimes just have to do it. Rolled an alfalfa bale down the hill today - a bale bed on the truck would be a nice addition to the equipment here. This should be the last bale they need until the next storm.

View attachment 24096
I think we got to a high of -11 today. I tried to find on of those magnetic block heaters so I could get my tractor started, but not a single one in town. Going to have to wait until Brown's gets some in stock next week. It is looking like next week is going to be warmer.

I tried to find one of those magnetic block heaters today, everyone in town is out.

I think we got to a high of -11 today. I tried to find on of those magnetic block heaters so I could get my tractor started, but not a single one in town. Going to have to wait until Brown's gets some in stock next week. It is looking like next week is going to be warmer.
Do the magnetic heaters work very well? We don't usually need them here but I have an older tractor that won't start when it's cold and would like to have a block heater on it.

Do the magnetic heaters work very well? We don't usually need them here but I have an older tractor that won't start when it's cold and would like to have a block heater on it.
Get two or three of them. They work ok but not like a block heater.

Latest posts