Getting a new money pit.

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
I have found me a new money pit. Its in the form of a 1956 Allis Chalmers WD45 :D . It was my co workers father baby and I have heard stories about this old tractor for 4-5 yrs. Well they want a new tractor and I am buying this old one as of today. Picking it up Monday in central Texas. Has hydraulic 3 point, new back tires and just had a valve job. The man I spoke to today says it needs the carb cleaned, but will run/drive now.
My main use will be to pull a shredder and just ride around on. Anyone know of websites specific, forums, parts places etc? It wont be a barn queen but would like to keep it nice. For that matter I have not even seen it yet, but pose to be straight sheet metal and in original faded paint condition with no leaks.

http://www.allischalmers.com/sources/index.aspx

Steiner also has many parts. I think you can get all the sheet metal after market. The 3 point is a nice selling point. They make an extension to set front weights out a little further. It'll surprise you what it'll Handel
On the back, with the weight out the front.

177-td3a.jpg

Check out this baby. $2,000 Real nice

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdet ... ID=7314533

TennesseeTuxedo":29g172wx said:
Isn't something like this "yard art" anyway?

I like old farmalls better, but they are nice old tractors. They can do quit a bit of work. I managed 260 acres with the same horsepower, for several years.

Are you sure it has a REAL 3 pt hitch? I've never seen one on a WD45, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Most AC tractors of that vintage used their own system.

Can't remember what AC called it. Basically an upside down 3 pt for use only with AC implements. Not usable with "normal" 3pt equipment as we know it today.

Otherwise, the WD45 was a tough little tractor with surprising abilities considering the size of it. Transmission shifters liked to wear and slip of gear, or even more fun, stick in 2 gears at once. :roll:

AC was one of the first to use a wet hand clutch, although you still had to use a dry foot clutch to shift gears.

They are a tough old tractor, and have live power using
the hand clutch. Lots of power in a small package. I pull a 10 ft Disk and 12 ft Cultipacker hooked together with mine.

John SD":1ii99b1d said:
Are you sure it has a REAL 3 pt hitch? I've never seen one on a WD45, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Most AC tractors of that vintage used their own system.

Can't remember what AC called it. Basically an upside down 3 pt for use only with AC implements. Not usable with "normal" 3pt equipment as we know it today.

Otherwise, the WD45 was a tough little tractor with surprising abilities considering the size of it. Transmission shifters liked to wear and slip of gear, or even more fun, stick in 2 gears at once. :roll:

AC was one of the first to use a wet hand clutch, although you still had to use a dry foot clutch to shift gears.

i will know Monday for sure. Pose to have a hydraulic 3point...thats pretty much a deal breaker for me for 2500.00

We had a tricycle AC with the hand lever for live pto in the 60's. It would rear up crossing a ditch in the bottom of the pasture. We always tried to cross this ditch very carefully. I
remember riding the front of the tractor. We were trying to keep it from rearing up, that didn't seem to do a bit of good. I have never seen another tractor that dangerous.

This tractor seemed to be very light in the front end. This is the only tricycle tractor that I have ever been around. Is this a problem with all tricycles?

Don McCallum":1t0u0sze said:
We had a tricycle AC with the hand lever for live pto in the 60's. It would rear up crossing a ditch in the bottom of the pasture. We always tried to cross this ditch very carefully. I
remember riding the front of the tractor. We were trying to keep it from rearing up, that didn't seem to do a bit of good. I have never seen another tractor that dangerous.

This tractor seemed to be very light in the front end. This is the only tricycle tractor that I have ever been around. Is this a problem with all tricycles?
All the wd's and most of the d's needed suitcases to keep em down in the front. A bit more power than the weight allowed for.

Latest posts