Getting a calf up

Help Support CattleToday:

Texasmark

Reaction score
Neighbor called me over. Bull calf, 300#, age guess, 3-4 months, had vet out 4 days ago and gave it electrolytes, general antibiotic, field look over, left. Calf on the ground, upright, head erect, eyes clear and steady, nose has tiny bit of mucus, mouth looks ok. Responded well to caressing. Calf is very lean. Owner said that occurred with it getting sick....didn't say how long it was sick before she called the vet. Owner did say that she had detected worms some time ago and bought an OTC wormer and administered it per directions.

Owner had food and water in front of it and it took both casually. Stool, brown and firm, not hard...adequate moisture in it, urine normal. Keeps it's front legs tucked up under it. You straighten them out and it immediately tucks the hooves back under the body like cows normally rest. Back legs respond to touching and moving. No Blackleg symptoms.

It's in a barn where you can't get anything mechanical in there to lift it up. I thought about the brute force thing, maybe dealing with a lazy calf here. Couple of jabs in the ass with a hot shot.....grab the tail and pull or the head?

Comments appreciated.

I'd poke hime with something to get him irritated or pop him with a hot shot to see what happens when he tries to get up. Did anybody take his temper? Calcium deficiency?

Lucky":1xao4o6g said:
I'd poke hime with something to get him irritated or pop him with a hot shot to see what happens when he tries to get up. Did anybody take his temper? Calcium deficiency?

Owner said the vet did. Was OK. Thanks for the reply.

jkwilson":1bg2rivn said:
To get a cow up after it calves I'll take my coat off and cover her face.

Any idea as to what this does.....in her mind? Wonder if a bull calf has the same mentality? Thanks for the reply.

Lucky":2sbxxt3e said:

Calcium deficiency a good question. Not a registered looking Holstein bull, but white with black spots and probably a dairy bull reject...I got started with them for my first bovines...eat and sale barn material. CD is certainly an option. Don't know what she has been feeding it. Had what looked like rabbit pellets in the bucket it was eating out of.

In your asking the question, what are the symptoms besides maybe soft bones? I felt and moved the legs and didn't notice any abnormalities.

My hot shot batteries are dead from years of non use. I ordered some online and will be here in a few days. I may check with her and see if it is still down and see if she is acceptable to my shooting her calf.

M-5":359k3sbp said:
come along or tickle on the joist or rafter with a belly sling made out of a croaker sack.
I have a 3 pt. 10' gin pole I made that I might could use. Would have to work in between the fence and roof....not much room to work the tractor or the pole. Is I wanted to do first till I saw the obstacles. Still a thought. Thanks for the reply.

Texasmark":3pw57bup said:
M-5":3pw57bup said:
come along or tickle on the joist or rafter with a belly sling made out of a croaker sack.
I have a 3 pt. 10' gin pole I made that I might could use. Would have to work in between the fence and roof....not much room to work the tractor or the pole. Is I wanted to do first till I saw the obstacles. Still a thought. Thanks for the reply.

Another idea is to just cut a pole and build a pivot point fulcrum out of blocks or hinge it to a post under the barn .

Texasmark":nfpvr7za said:
jkwilson":nfpvr7za said:

Any idea as to what this does.....in her mind? Wonder if a bull calf has the same mentality? Thanks for the reply.

I assume it just scares them. Not being able to see would be a concern to a prey animal.

The calf only weighs 300 odd pounds, drag it out of the barn gently, get it into the fresh air and sun. Does it perhaps have swollen leg joints(septicemia, infection could affect the spinal cord as well)? I would administer an anti inflam and BO-SE(selenium and Vitamin E)for a few days in case of white muscle disease. This could also be caused by a 'lack' of nutrition if you say animal is 'lean'. Push the calf over on to different sides a couple of times a day to ensure blood circulation, if it's going to get up it will get up on it's own.

Good luck!

jkwilson":3pjb4yon said:
Texasmark":3pjb4yon said:
jkwilson":3pjb4yon said:

I assume it just scares them. Not being able to see would be a concern to a prey animal.
Thanks

alisonb":3indq507 said:
The calf only weighs 300 odd pounds, drag it out of the barn gently, get it into the fresh air and sun. Does it perhaps have swollen leg joints(septicemia, infection could affect the spinal cord as well)? I would administer an anti inflam and BO-SE(selenium and Vitamin E)for a few days in case of white muscle disease. This could also be caused by a 'lack' of nutrition if you say animal is 'lean'. Push the calf over on to different sides a couple of times a day to ensure blood circulation, if it's going to get up it will get up on it's own.

Good luck!

I felt the legs and they felt normal. Since the vet didn't take one, I told the owner to take a blood sample over to the vet and let them scan it. Will discuss the drag it out in the open with the owner.....if we do that the gin pole will lift it. Thanks for the reply.

Texasmark":1b72jxze said:
Lucky":1b72jxze said:

Calcium deficiency a good question. Not a registered looking Holstein bull, but white with black spots and probably a dairy bull reject...I got started with them for my first bovines...eat and sale barn material. CD is certainly an option. Don't know what she has been feeding it. Had what looked like rabbit pellets in the bucket it was eating out of.

In your asking the question, what are the symptoms besides maybe soft bones? I felt and moved the legs and didn't notice any abnormalities.

My hot shot batteries are dead from years of non use. I ordered some online and will be here in a few days. I may check with her and see if it is still down and see if she is acceptable to my shooting her calf.
calcium deficiency AKA milk fever, will cause their ears to become cold,

If he's only 300ish pounds couldn't you get a strap under him and with 2 people just lift him by hand?

Don't have the two capable people. Been off milk for who knows how long so I doubt that's a problem. Ears didn't feel funny to the touch when I rubbed his face. Thanks

The best thing to do with a down cow or calf is make them get up. I know some people don't like to drag the animal or poke it with a hotshot but asking nicely rarely works. This guy needs to be forced to try and get up. Probably too late by now though. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.