General Questions for Brangus Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

MichaelB

Reaction score
I wanted to know some things about Brangus cows, which is a breed that I don't see very much of in my area. I am defining a Brangus as 3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus, not an F1 cross between the two breeds.

o Is anyone breeding them in the upper South (VA/MD/KY/NC)?
o What size frame do they generally have - small, medium, or large?
o Obviously they have heat tolerance. How well do you think they would do in an environment that might see 10 degrees F at night during the winter, but little snow? If they have shelter available?
o Does anyone keep Red Brangus? Do they have improved performance in the heat over black coats?
o Do they tend to have small calves (I define a small calf as being 75 lb.)?
o Do they generally have good udder and teat conformation, and do they make good mothers (adequate milk, protective, maternal qualities).
o How common is it to breed back to purebred black angus? Does this minimize market discrimination against "ear?" If you breed Red Brangus to a black angus (pardon the mixed capitalization), do you generally get black calves or does a remote grey zebu ancestor tend to throw in a wildcard color?
o What is their temperament like, in general? Are they friendly, aloof? Do they respond to good treatment?
o What is it that you like about the breed, and what would you change about them?

Thanks for any answers that you provide.

Michael

medium frame,, in a ""purebred""' brangus there really aint no wild card of color to through back on.maybe the diluter gene .. in your area breeding back to angus is a great way to please the market need to pay attention to udders,, they can be like pups, till they calve this is where you need to be carefull... their mothering instinct is pretty strong

They also shouldn't ahve any problem with the 10 degree weather especially if it warms up some during the day. In the heat they'll be grazing while others are under a tree or in the pond. Great mothers, good milkers, calves born small but grow fast, few if any assisted births and great mothers. When one calves give her a few days alone with the calf or she'll put you over the fence. Udders in general are good but you'll always have the occasional broke down udder. I had a 16 year old nursing her 14th calf and udder still looked like a first calf heifer. Normally very fertile cattle as well. Breeding back to the Angus would give you an ultrablack which should sell well in your country. When you work them do it slow and easy, handle them gently (which applies to all cattle) and don't get them stirred up and they'll work great for you.

You have gotten good advice so far. I will add that during this terrible drought in my area my cows with more ear keep better condition than those with less or no ear. Last winter we had a three week period of temps from 7-14 deg F and there was no difference between the brangus vs angus cows. They breed Brangus as far north as Canada, so your climate is nothing for them to handle. The question is - Do you need Brangus cattle? They will forage better, raise a bit bigger calf, and generally keep their teeth longer than traditional British breeds resulting in a longer lasting cow. The question is will those effects pay off versus the dock you could receive for eared calves? I don't know, but it's something to think about. If there aren't many Brangus in your area there has to be a reason.

Isomade":3fxvmgix said:
You have gotten good advice so far. I will add that during this terrible drought in my area my cows with more ear keep better condition than those with less or no ear. Last winter we had a three week period of temps from 7-14 deg F and there was no difference between the brangus vs angus cows. They breed Brangus as far north as Canada, so your climate is nothing for them to handle. The question is - Do you need Brangus cattle? They will forage better, raise a bit bigger calf, and generally keep their teeth longer than traditional British breeds resulting in a longer lasting cow. The question is will those effects pay off versus the dock you could receive for eared calves? I don't know, but it's something to think about. If there aren't many Brangus in your area there has to be a reason.
it wants vs. needs, as ive aged ive found... if i dont need it, i dont want it :cowboy:

Thanks for the feedback.

Angus is king here in the Virginia Piedmont, and we have several high end black angus breeders in Virginia. We do have brangus breeders a couple of counties over, but they aren't close enough for me to drop by for a show and tell session.

We've just had a few brutal summers and burnt pastures here (by our standards anyway), and I was curious to know if the improved heat tolerance might be worth the effort for crossbreeding.

I guess my Tarentaise cows can run me out of the pasture just as well as the brangus cows when they calve their angus crossbreds. :D

Michael

Oklahoma State has some good info on comparisons between the two breeds you are investigating.

My brangus are black (not red). They cut it and thrive in my climate. Calves are generally right at the 70 lb range with the brangus bull I am running. Occasionally I get an 80.

Aside from climate, mortality rates are impressive. Dead calves don't sell. In the last three years I had to pull one calf and it was backwards - every time the cow pushed in out it would crawl back in. I calved out a dozen and half heifers this year with no losses.

If heat tolerance, fertility and foraging are the traits you need, look at the African Sanga breeds and composites available in the USA, using reds will give a good base for crossing to Angus for black calves, the Mashona has a traditional black strain unrelated to any European breeds. There are some USAreeders, pictures and information on this site; http://sangacattle.webs.com/

My Brangus just spent all afternoon at the round bale.
Full sun, temp was 103*, no problem. When they're full lay down under a shade tree.
Calf size a function of genetics. Most of mind in the 70 lb range, grow like weeds when we have grass and still grow like that when we don't(now). They'll handle the cold well if they have plenty to eat. I'm in SE Texas, here black is worth more.

dcarp":2vzunk48 said:
My Brangus just spent all afternoon at the round bale.
Full sun, temp was 103*, no problem. When they're full lay down under a shade tree.
Calf size a function of genetics. Most of mind in the 70 lb range, grow like weeds when we have grass and still grow like that when we don't(now). They'll handle the cold well if they have plenty to eat. I'm in SE Texas, here black is worth more.
My herd of seven, have been in the shade most of the day for awhile now. They dont' enjoy the sun anymore than I do. ;-)

andybob":2p9hv0j1 said:
Do Angus percentage cattle with ear still get the CAB premium? I thought dairy and Indicus influenced cattle were not elegible?

Dairy?? I thought we were discussing Brangus per thread title.

Only premium I'm aware of might be the small premium received when you sale at a place that prefers angus.

Do calves have to be 100% Angus to qualify?
No, just Angus influenced. Cattle coming in to licensed packing plants need to be at least 51% black-hided or AngusSource® enrolled to be evaluated for the CAB brand. Most cattle entering feedlots are commercial cattle and are not purebred or "100% Angus." Carcasses from Angus-influenced cattle are then subjected to our ten specifications that ensure the consumer a pleasurable eating experience.

TexasBred":1kkzafxh said:
andybob":1kkzafxh said:
Do Angus percentage cattle with ear still get the CAB premium? I thought dairy and Indicus influenced cattle were not elegible?

I just wanted to know if the eared influence disqualifies Angus cross cattle from being eligable for CAB as is the case with dairy influenced Angus crosses?
Here in the UK, the only qualification for Angus premium is that the sire is a registered Aberdeen Angus bull, there are no eared cattle here, and most of the terminal cows are Holstein/Fresian cross Hereford (black Hereford here), or Holstien/Fresian cross Limousin, so the dairy influence does not affect premium as is apparently the case in the USA.

andybob":b4addfte said:
TexasBred":b4addfte said:
andybob":b4addfte said:

I just wanted to know if the eared influence disqualifies Angus cross cattle from being eligable for CAB as is the case with dairy influenced Angus crosses?
Here in the UK, the only qualification for Angus premium is that the sire is a registered Aberdeen Angus bull, there are no eared cattle here, and most of the terminal cows are Holstein/Fresian cross Hereford (black Hereford here), or Holstien/Fresian cross Limousin, so the dairy influence does not affect premium as is apparently the case in the USA.

Cattle with obvious Indicus influence, like ear and hump, are not eligible for CAB.

Latest posts