Gelbvieh cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Never had any what are the good and bads with this breed. I know a man that has some that he's needing to sell. I would be breeding them to a angus bull. Some of the cows are red some are black.

Allot of good.....very little bad and they are an excellent cross with Angus....but I am a breed pimp :lol:

We've got 5 gelbv x limi cross cows and they are great. BIG cows but I've got nothing bad to say about them.

Gelbvieh females have typically very good dispositions. They are usually calm when calving though they are very good mothers, they are typically not overly protective mothers making them a little easier to work with at calving time than other breeds. The things I would watch is there is not really a Gelbvieh cow that does not have enough milk, but there can be some that have too much. Watch for the teat size and udder structure.

Are the cows you are looking at registered or commercial females?

CKSGelbvieh":ftl56anl said:
Gelbvieh females have typically very good dispositions. They are usually calm when calving though they are very good mothers, they are typically not overly protective mothers making them a little easier to work with at calving time than other breeds. The things I would watch is there is not really a Gelbvieh cow that does not have enough milk, but there can be some that have too much. Watch for the teat size and udder structure.

I generally agree with you however I had three that were all 1/2 or more sisters and none of them are very good milkers. I am down to one and she's on the bubble.

I have a bunch of GVxShorthorns, I really like them, too much milk is a possibility there, I have a couple that need milking around calving time, but are docile enough I can do it without a rodeo. I don't find my cows all that big when compared to Shorthorns... I'd say they're a mid sized, stocky animal.. Chappydog, I think some of the size comes from the Limo, they're a bit bigger.
Most are meaty, and especially a well bred steer or bull calf will show that, Heifer calves will show it too but seem to lose it a little as cows

If the cows are decent and you get them at a fair price, I don't think you'd go far wrong... Just look at them and evaluate them.

CKSGelbvieh":1rmb3bft said:

Yes they are reg cows and there currently breed to a reg gelbvieh bull. There around 6-7 years old. They are suppose to calve this fall and he's wanting $2000 each. He still has the heifer calves out of these cows so I can see how they done raising calves.

pricefarm":26cbzo3o said:
CKSGelbvieh":26cbzo3o said:

Yes they are reg cows and there currently breed to a reg gelbvieh bull. There around 6-7 years old. They are suppose to calve this fall and he's wanting $2000 each. He still has the heifer calves out of these cows so I can see how they done raising calves.

You better grab them at that price. Will you keep up the registrations or turn them commercial.

My only concern would be that they are fall calvers. Is that the norm for your area? If not, then you may have cows that have slipped out of the regular season. He got em bred and is trying to unload em. If this papered stuff these animals may be bred as fall calvers to sell 16 month old bulls. Then I would say all is well, of course if this is papered animals their should be registered offspring with these animals to validate a fall calving season. If not ,run like hell

houstoncutter":3swvvrgl said:
My only concern would be that they are fall calvers. Is that the norm for your area? If not, then you may have cows that have slipped out of the regular season. He got em bred and is trying to unload em. If this papered stuff these animals may be bred as fall calvers to sell 16 month old bulls. Then I would say all is well, of course if this is papered animals their should be registered offspring with these animals to validate a fall calving season. If not ,run like be nice

A lot of people in my area fall calve. I have two groups of cows one group calve in the spring and the other group calves in the fall. Fall calving cows is what Iam looking for.

3way if I buy them I will just go commerial with them. I have some reg angus cows but don't keep up with reg the calves or anything.

Good to hear about the fall calving. I have to say I'm always curious why a seed stock breeder is selling cows when they are hitting their prime.

Have had Gelbvieh cows since the mid 90's. Really like them. Also have a handful of cows of other breeds, and in general the Gelbvieh and Gelbvieh/Angus cows are good mamas. Disposition is overall very good, and they are much quieter and easier to work than my registered Angus cows.

As others have stated, in general Gelbvieh cows milk well, but some do have poorer teat and udder structure. This was much more prevalent 20 years ago than it is today, due to many Gelbvieh breeders putting more selection pressure on improved teats and udders.

Like all breeds, there are some Gelbvieh sires that produce daughters with much lower milk production, and in some cases too little milk. A popular Gelbvieh bull maybe ten years ago was a bull named BTI Extra 2106K. We had a daughter of that bull that was the poorest milking Gelbvieh we ever owned, and so she went to the sale barn after weaning her first calf.

Any way to get registration numbers posted, and yes it looks like a good buy just sold a going to be 13 yr old bred for 2250 so you did good on price.

pricefarm":36vq6c4z said:
CKSGelbvieh":36vq6c4z said:

At that price, I could be convinced to start a fall calving herd. Have a ton of extra feed this year (a great feeling after two miserable years) and could use some extra cows. If you don't take them, let me know! Might be the same person I talked to about some bred heifers out in VA.

pricefarm":2uvroyr9 said:
Never had any what are the good and bads with this breed.

I like GV bulls more than GV cows.
I have some 1/4 GV out of a Balancer bull. They have more muscle and milk than most all English breeding.
How big are these GV cows?

Was going to look at them today but he done sold them. They wasn't in va they where in tn. Guess I lost out sounded like a good deal.

Latest posts