Future of Cattle Business

Help Support CattleToday:

https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/wbic/files/2011/11/Hay-feed-analysis-draft-4.pdf

Maybe this link will be helpful. I understand different parts of the country need to feed differently.

skyhightree1 said:
Stocker Steve said:
How do you know when you are overfeeding?

He seems to know everything about everything so im sure you will get an answer that has to be right because he says so. Ya know no matter how long you go on this site its always a know it all.. SMH I can't say that I missed that at all. Its a shame a couple week return and already blocking someone.

Can't say I missed the unnecessary smart mouth remarks from some either.
Remember, we have two ears and one mouth.
With that said, as has already been mentioned, there are charts and such that tell you the normal intake of hay by different weight cattle. A simple route, that I usually use, is to feed them whatever they will clean up in about two hours, twice a day. But I roll my hay out, so this is easy for me to judge.
True Grit Farms said:
Well Lucky and JMJ Farms are right. I'd like to know how to tell when your over feeding hay to your cattle also. There's no doubt hay is my biggest cattle expense. I grade my hay from poor to good and feed and supplement it accordingly. People who buy and feed cheap hay get exactly what they paid for it. You need to know what your hay quality is before you feed it. A lot of cows died here with a full belly of poor hay last year.
Hay is my biggest expense as well. And you're exactly right. A cow can starve to death with a full stomach. I test my hay for each individual field, and each cutting. And supplement accordingly. Best money you can spend in regards to feeding. And while my method of monitoring what they clean up in a couple of hours may or may not work for others, it is important to take into consideration the quality of the hay you're feeding. Naturally there will be more waste with poor, rotten, rank hay, etc. I don't have it down to an exact science but I'm getting closer. I still wish I had the resources to get closer to year round grazing, with hay as an emergency backup. But to do that means I have to be able to control the moisture, which means pivots, because stockpiling doesn't work well here.

True Grit Farms said:
Well Lucky and JMJ Farms are right. I'd like to know how to tell when your over feeding hay to your cattle also. There's no doubt hay is my biggest cattle expense. I grade my hay from poor to good and feed and supplement it accordingly. People who buy and feed cheap hay get exactly what they paid for it. You need to know what your hay quality is before you feed it. A lot of cows died here with a full belly of poor hay last year.

My definition of Overfeeding is when the grass is green and growing and the hayring and feed bunks are still kept full. :2cents:

I'd say winter pasture is my biggest expense but it intertwines with making hay. Some years I'm in baling hay mode and others I'm in grazing it out. This year has been an easy year to grow something to bale.

Sounds like JMJ and I have close to the same routine.

Do you guys have feed stores that deliver in bulk in y'alls area? Buying in bulk and feeding out of a truck feeder has been a big savings for me. I know this is something that won't work for everyone but I'm too tight to waste the .50 to .75 cents on the sack. Before I got an overhead I picked it up a ton at a time in suger sacks and fed out of buckets.

Lucky said:
Sounds like JMJ and I have close to the same routine.

Do you guys have feed stores that deliver in bulk in y'alls area? Buying in bulk and feeding out of a truck feeder has been a big savings for me. I know this is something that won't work for everyone but I'm too tight to waste the .50 to .75 cents on the sack. Before I got an overhead I picked it up a ton at a time in suger sacks and fed out of buckets.

We're blessed to have cotton gins close and access to pickup WCS by the trailer load.

I fed a WCS mix to yearling calves and grown bulls this past winter and it was one of the best things I've ever fed. We supposedly have the most modern cotton gin in the country about 30 miles from here but they don't produce gin trash and must have a contract on the seed. I think it was built 4-5 years ago.

I feed WCS and bulk feed. With buckets. The amount of labor gets old sometimes but it works. It'll have to work till I can do better

Be careful on wcs as it can cause heart issues and infertility in that yearling class of cattle. This is not usually a problem just watch for the hog at the troughs.

https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/an_sci/extension/animal/nutr/mhp95-1.htm

Thanks for the link CB, I wasn't aware of this. The mix I fed from Oct- April had 10% WSC in it. Fed 6#'s a day. I kept a group of heifers as replacements out of this bunch. Pulled the bull last night and will preg check in 45 days, one more thing to worry about. Lol

Lucky said:
Thanks for the link CB, I wasn't aware of this. The mix I fed from Oct- April had 10% WSC in it. Fed 6#'s a day. I kept a group of heifers as replacements out of this bunch. Pulled the bull last night and will preg check in 45 days, one more thing to worry about. Lol

I wouldn't worry too much about that blend. Cotton seed is good stuff but so is Jack Daniels got to know when enough is enough.

https://site.extension.uga.edu/lowndesecholsag/2018/06/is-cottonseed-going-to-make-my-bulls-infertile/
Poor hay supplemented with 6 lbs of WCS per day will give a cow everything it needs. Last year WCS was less than $0.08 a lb here, besides the labor involved in feeding WCS you can't beat it.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
This is a long running thread with little to no adverse behavior Grit. Should be good for the advertisers.

Maybe it's because none of the trouble makers - attention seekers have posted on this thread yet.

Caustic Burno said:
Lucky said:

but so is Jack Daniels got to know when enough is enough.
That was always my problem, knowing when it was enough.usually the floor would tell me..

We are in a completely different situation than most of the regulars. The Army Corps of Engineer has designated our land and most cattle pasture in Pointe Coupee Parish for "mitigated flooding". This is typical cya bureaucrat language to deflect attention from the encyclopedia of mistakes they have made upriver that have put us underwater since January. In the past year we've had to put down nearly a hundred loads of fill dirt just so the cattle can walk from pasture to pasture.

Short film about what we are losing.
Pointe Coupee- 300 years in the making
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOImgfUFc1c

Latest posts