Fullblood Chianina Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Chi496":2ll4l5cn said:
I would not concider Black Power a club calf bull. He was a Chiangus. If memory severs me correctly he is a Sugar Ray.

Chi496,
It's a safe bet you know a lot about the chi breed these days. I have found his percent chi listed two different ways on two different sites. How much chi is he? You got a homozygous black chi in mind I might like better? I would like to breed about three of my cows in hopes of getting a bull calf worth using as a terminal cross on some commercial cows.

Tauras, you are wrong, I'll leave it at that. He may have in the day sired some show steers but not by today's standards. Bigfoot, since you mentioned the Branscum family talk to them about their Wild Card bull. I think you would be much more satasfied with the calves. Black Power should be 75% Chianina and 25% Angus.

Chi496":l8wug2vy said:
Tauras, you are wrong, I'll leave it at that. He may have in the day sired some show steers but not by today's standards. Bigfoot, since you mentioned the Branscum family talk to them about their Wild Card bull. I think you would be much more satasfied with the calves. Black Power should be 75% Chianina and 25% Angus.
I'm wrong? Then why they labelled him as a club calf bull?

We have both percentage chianina and fullbloods. People have no clue the demand for fullblood chianina bulls. I could sell a bull a week that is a fullblood if i had them. The most common thing people are telling me is that they are tired of the small framed cows and bulls.Most people outside the fullblood folks dont see how the low percentage chi are hurting the business. Matter of fact some of the bulls shown that say they are chiangus i would question them about that.

Bigfoot":d36gixdk said:
I've got a real motley Crew of commercial cows. Probably due to my propensity to experiment with different ai bulls. Most of the stuff we get on here and say want work. I have done it. Crossbred bulls on cross bred cows, eared cattle to far north, breed heifers to coriente bulls. Usually when I turn my bulls out in may I catch two or three cows, and put them in the empty bull pen to ai. It's just something I enjoy. I don't want people to think I have a bunch of hobby cows. I just like experimenting a little. Charbray was my favorite experiment. Weaned three calves all 800 pounds or better.
That's funny, I never knew I had a brother. Why didn't mom and dad ever tell me about you?

choward2955jd":2lnjfp2f said:
We have both percentage chianina and fullbloods. People have no clue the demand for fullblood chianina bulls. I could sell a bull a week that is a fullblood if i had them. The most common thing people are telling me is that they are tired of the small framed cows and bulls.Most people outside the fullblood folks dont see how the low percentage chi are hurting the business
Or pictures of your chi crosses with horrible udders. I am curious about why you don't remove them from your website?

Today's shocking news-------------I just bought a high percentage chi bull. Homozygous black and polled. Pollinator. For your sake I hope we don't look alike.

Short term plan--------- breed my char cows to him
Long term plan-----------wean some huge smokes

I've bought into this epd thing too long. I'm going after the paycheck.

Taurus, not sure where you get your info on Chianina. Although the ACA has totally tried changed the breed I would say because of the great marketing that the Black Angus people have done on America. We raised Chianina in the 70's and had some of the 1st full bloods in the USA. Raised many pure bread's, at that time 15/16 was considered pure bread. I have read this thread over and I find that you attribute the udder problems to the Chianina side of the cross, what was the other breed or breeds in the cross. Chianina cattle milk and calve more like a horse, smaller bags richer milk so calf's nurse more often. Calving similar to horse, long and skinny then in about two weeks start to fill out. We could never figure out why the cattle industry never found the chianina cattle a great tool. With the higher weaning weights, growing out faster leaner, why does this not add up. My father was also an auctioneer and the buyer's just didn't get it. My biggest question is when did people start eating color? I could go on and on about this, as for temperament, birth weights(already covered) this was an asset to any breed. As for temperment the Chinina were use as a beast of burden in Italy, they were the most docile cattle we've ever raised, but much had to do with how they are raised we had gotten some cattle from Texas that where run with dogs & horses, they didn't bluff especially with a calf, but for the most part very quite cattle. As ch496 said "Did I say "never" no I was speaking in general terms". Love to talk about these cattle anytime. 6of7w

60f7w":30s9fm5b said:
Taurus, not sure where you get your info on Chianina. Although the ACA has totally tried changed the breed I would say because of the great marketing that the Black Angus people have done on America. We raised Chianina in the 70's and had some of the 1st full bloods in the USA. Raised many pure bread's, at that time 15/16 was considered pure bread. I have read this thread over and I find that you attribute the udder problems to the Chianina side of the cross, what was the other breed or breeds in the cross. Chianina cattle milk and calve more like a horse, smaller bags richer milk so calf's nurse more often. Calving similar to horse, long and skinny then in about two weeks start to fill out. We could never figure out why the cattle industry never found the chianina cattle a great tool. With the higher weaning weights, growing out faster leaner, why does this not add up. My father was also an auctioneer and the buyer's just didn't get it. My biggest question is when did people start eating color? I could go on and on about this, as for temperament, birth weights(already covered) this was an asset to any breed. As for temperment the Chinina were use as a beast of burden in Italy, they were the most docile cattle we've ever raised, but much had to do with how they are raised we had gotten some cattle from Texas that where run with dogs & horses, they didn't bluff especially with a calf, but for the most part very quite cattle. As ch496 said "Did I say "never" no I was speaking in general terms". Love to talk about these cattle anytime. 6of7w
Various breeds so it's clearly that it's Chianina has udder problems, not the other breeds and I've heard it from Chianina breeders.....The problem with Chianina is that they are large framed cattle that kicks like a mule.

Put me down as Chianina not having udder problems. Not enough udder there to have a problem with. I would say they have the smallest udder on any cow I have ever dealt with. The udder is functional but is high and tight and there fore not allot of room for anything to go wrong if anything they are an udder fixer. I had fullblood and high percentage bulls I think the problem was 1. The cattle do not marble like other cows and cattle men are not very innovative if they feed some calves to a certain amount of back fat before they slaughter they try the same thing with high % Chi and to get that 2 inch of back fat no telling what it may end up weighing at slaughter. I had a fullblood bull that weighed 3100 lbs and had muscles in his stomach. Literally a bull with a six pack. 2. There were some Fullbloods that definitely ran hot temperment wise. Then there were some I could as a not so smart young guy grab a full grown bull by the horns and he would pretend he couldn't pull away from me and I could pet and I could take my belt off and wrap it around the bulls neck to show how you could not fasten the belt because of how thick its neck was. But the guy I would buy from brought in 1 bull that kept him trapped on the roof of an aluminum top barn for hours in Alabama in July until his wife and kid could come home and run the bull out of the pen. He quickly changed to another breed. 3. The ACA has to be hands down the most incompetant breed organization ever assembled. If they wanted to branch off into Chiangus which I think is where the breed had to go to meet the demands of people they should have set a 3/8 and 5/8 criteria and concentrated on the Fullbloods to provide the breeding up stock to get to that level. Instead of this 5% and 8% calling themselves Chianina.

60f7w":3p2fx5xv said:
So why do you have them?
I don't have them and have no reason to buy the Chianina. I don't think they can fit in my operation, given the fact I don't like large framed cattle and udder problems.

u4411clb":uzjheokg said:
Put me down as Chianina not having udder problems. Not enough udder there to have a problem with. I would say they have the smallest udder on any cow I have ever dealt with. The udder is functional but is high and tight and there fore not allot of room for anything to go wrong if anything they are an udder fixer. I had fullblood and high percentage bulls I think the problem was 1. The cattle do not marble like other cows and cattle men are not very innovative if they feed some calves to a certain amount of back fat before they slaughter they try the same thing with high % Chi and to get that 2 inch of back fat no telling what it may end up weighing at slaughter. I had a fullblood bull that weighed 3100 lbs and had muscles in his stomach. Literally a bull with a six pack. 2. There were some Fullbloods that definitely ran hot temperment wise. Then there were some I could as a not so smart young guy grab a full grown bull by the horns and he would pretend he couldn't pull away from me and I could pet and I could take my belt off and wrap it around the bulls neck to show how you could not fasten the belt because of how thick its neck was. But the guy I would buy from brought in 1 bull that kept him trapped on the roof of an aluminum top barn for hours in Alabama in July until his wife and kid could come home and run the bull out of the pen. He quickly changed to another breed. 3. The ACA has to be hands down the most incompetant breed organization ever assembled. If they wanted to branch off into Chiangus which I think is where the breed had to go to meet the demands of people they should have set a 3/8 and 5/8 criteria and concentrated on the Fullbloods to provide the breeding up stock to get to that level. Instead of this 5% and *% calling themselves Chianina.
Maybe choward2955jd shouldn't post his pictures of Chianina cattle with bad udders on his website.

We registed just under 1,000 head in the 70's and early 80's and thats just the ones we registed so I think I would know the problems with Chianina. I wouldn't keep a kicking mule either on my place although I don't raise mules just one donkey 4 horses. I agree with u4411clb "3. The ACA has to be hands down the most incompetant breed organization ever assembled. If they wanted to branch off into Chiangus which I think is where the breed had to go to meet the demands of people they should have set a 3/8 and 5/8 criteria and concentrated on the Fullbloods to provide the breeding up stock to get to that level. Instead of this 5% and 8% calling themselves Chianina." Amen brother you wouldn't know what a Chianina even looks like from the web site. you would think you went to the angus association if you went there, and whats this 6.25% rule is in effect for all Chianina Assoc.
6.25% what?

I agree with the above post I never ever seen a badly uddered Chianina cow. They always had nice neat udders, never bottle teated or anything like that. I had never really heard of any temperament problems and had seen many being tendered by older people so agility wasn't of concern. They were a useful tool to use as a crossbreeding animal. I predomiantely seen them crossed with Brahman which was pretty good. The main Italian breed left here in Australia is Romagnola which there are still a decent number of. Marchigiana seem to have disappeared.

Got my Chi bull home today. 9 hours round trip. I'm not getting him to keep any replacements out of, but couldn't help but check out the udders at this guys farm. Didn't see anything I thought was bad.

As for my cows and my herd. If you do not like what i have dont look we just sold our first set of 6month old calves saturday. They averaged 680lbs off the cow with no creep feed. Now if my cows dont suit your needs or think they are of quality then dont look. There has not been a person posted on this thread that has raised them longer than i have. I have looked at Taurus cattle and i found plenty of problems with his cows. But out of respect for him and his cattle i want tell the signs of a poor conformation cows he has.
I could care less if someone does not like my herd i have been working on them for over 25 years and they pay the bills for us. Not every cow is perfect never said that they were. Before you pass judgement on my cows lets see anyone elses and lets see what we can find wrong with them.
Most people wo talk of chianina cattle have no idea of what a true fullblood chianina is.

Just a quick note this thread was started by me not about % percenatge chi cattle but rather Full Blood Chianina cattle.Some of you may want to learn the difference in them before you talk about them.
Just a quick question.
My chi cross calves that I sold saturday were bought and put in the same pen with calves that were Angus calves. Here is my question to anyone. If angus calves are the best and than why are other breeds of cattle being placed in the same pens and with the angus cattle. Is there not a difference in quality??
My calves brought the same money as those angus cattle except my calves were younger than the angus

Latest posts