Fullblood Chianina Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

choward2955jd

Reaction score
Hi, my name is chris howard and i live in Kentucky. We are raising Fullblood Chianina cattle and i was wandering if anyone who is on this site would know of anyone who raisies them as well. I am looking to expand my herd and was looking for help from anyone who could be of help.
Thanks
Chris Howard
FFA Advisor
Farmer

Try the branscums. They have high percentage chi cattle. One of the owners at ken-tenn used to have high percentage chi as well. That full blood thing is probably the hold up. Pm if you need phone numbers. I have bought bulls from both of them many years gone by.

they still raise em in italy....
don't know what it would cost but you could probably import some semen as easy as anything....

The reason there are very few fullbloods left is the composit cattle are 100% more marketable. I have found in 20 years of breeding Chi cattle 25-40% Chi is really optimum. Not discounting the whites but their day has come and gone.

I know Chris, and I hated to say it, but your right. I've used some 50 percent chi bulls as a terminal cross back in the day. Got exceptional weaning weights. I've been getting about the same with char bulls, with no discount at the sale barn. I have found for me atleast the chi cross cows breed back slow. I didn't keep enough hiefers to really make a good assumption though.

I will admit that their are individuals that do re-breed slower than their straight British counterparts, that is just the nature with most continental breeds. But he you look at the longevity of the cows, lack of udder problems, weaning weights. And exspecially with Chiangus a solid black animal. Currently with the general low numbers in the American cow herd very few animals/crosses are being discounted. I'm positive a fullblood would revive the same discount as a longhorn though. I know we're all entitled to our own opnion, and can raise what we wish but we also need to keep in mind that we have to market our product. And to market that product you need to have what the buyer wants.

Chi496":4sf2nyjv said:
I will admit that their are individuals that do re-breed slower than their straight British counterparts, that is just the nature with most continental breeds. But he you look at the longevity of the cows, lack of udder problems, weaning weights. And exspecially with Chiangus a solid black animal. Currently with the general low numbers in the American cow herd very few animals/crosses are being discounted. I'm positive a fullblood would revive the same discount as a longhorn though. I know we're all entitled to our own opnion, and can raise what we wish but we also need to keep in mind that we have to market our product. And to market that product you need to have what the buyer wants.
I'm not sure about that. Someone in here has few chi crosses that have udder problems.

Did I say "never" no I was speaking in general terms. Try this then for the most part very few udder issues.

Chi496":12g3bq37 said:
Did I say "never" no I was speaking in general terms. Try this then for the most part very few udder issues.
I know you meant very well....but I never forget how horrible the udders the chi crosses are :shock:

Were is the key word in that sentance. Yes there were a lot of issues early on ie. temperament, birth weights ect. They have been addressed and corrected.

Chi496":2u46nwh4 said:
Were is the key word in that sentance. Yes there were a lot of issues early on ie. temperament, birth weights ect. They have been addressed and corrected.
Not really, it was very recently, like few months ago. Hopefully this breeder culled these chi crosses or is still working to improve their udders. Other than that, they looks very nice crosses.

This has me thinking about getting a little chi cross semen. I usually ai a sprinkling of my cows just for conversation sake anyway.

Looks like bull barn has some black power play semen $15. I had forgotten about him. I'm doubting he's homozygous black. 12.5 percent angus.

Yes. I started a thread about using a little club calf semen back a while ago. It wasn't met with much good favor. I think I will do it though. I'll just do a few. I like the novelty of it.

Probably fell out of fashion. I notice he's the highest percent chi on the page.

Bigfoot":10qviywl said:
Probably fell out of fashion. I notice he's the highest percent chi on the page.
It could be that reason that he is high percentage chi. Now I am not familiar with club calf bulls but what chi and maine anjou has to offer to the club calf industry?

I googled up chi cattle and I noticed something interesting about this Reserve Champion Chianina Steer 2009 New Mexico State Fair is that he is belted.
belted-1.jpg

I'm guessing that's the Maine coming out. I've a few Maine cross cows. They all have some weird markings. None are belted though. I did the show steer thing back in the 80's. haven't been around it since. I've got a real motley Crew of commercial cows. Probably due to my propensity to experiment with different ai bulls. Most of the stuff we get on here and say want work. I have done it. Crossbred bulls on cross bred cows, eared cattle to far north, breed heifers to coriente bulls. Usually when I turn my bulls out in may I catch two or three cows, and put them in the empty bull pen to ai. It's just something I enjoy. I don't want people to think I have a bunch of hobby cows. I just like experimenting a little. Charbray was my favorite experiment. Weaned three calves all 800 pounds or better.

I would not concider Black Power a club calf bull. He was a Chiangus. If memory severs me correctly he is a Sugar Ray.

Latest posts