From 90 degrees to a low of 45 and rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

I welcome it in that September is when I like to get my winter prep done. Wed and Thurs looks like at least an inch with cool temps right behind...whadda deal. Got 4" over the last few days, should be adequately dried out by Monday, ground softened up so I can work it, allowable time to get it in.....pinching myself....am I dreaming?

TCRanch said:
Yeah, going from mid 90's Monday. The front is hitting us Wednesday, including rain, but back to the 70's by the end of the week. Keep your eye out for pneumonia in calves.

I remember last November. Cool, wet, drizzly mess.
Had 2 born in that mess. Only saved 1.

I hope they weather folks are wrong as usual...
Too early! Lol

Kind of jealous. Our last rain was June 16 when we got .17 of an inch. It's been horribly hot for a month and fires all over the state. They predict temperatures in the low 100's for the next few days. No rain in the 10 day forecast. I'm getting anxious to complain about the cold rain, (which I of course eventually will), once it arrives.

I moved here because of the mild temperatures. Seldom cold in the winter and seldom hot in the summer, but that is changing. I knew there wasn't much rain in summer, but there use to be some. Even winters are drier. We have lived here almost 30 years, but it seems like a different place now. I wonder if this will be a desert in a 1000 years? They say the deserts of eastern Oregon were once lush tropical forests. So many large old trees are dying here. On the plus side, I enrolled in drought insurance.

A high in the 90's and a low around 45. That sounds like a lot of the weather we have had lately. Around 45-50 degrees at sunrise and mid 90's by about 3:00. Except this rain which you talk about....... What is that? Had a little thunder shower (0.2") a few weeks ago. Before that the last rain was early June.

"On the plus side, I enrolled in drought insurance."

My forage insurance lady visited the ranch yesterday morning and brought her computer to go over the policy. She then went through how it all worked and I was impressed. Its a USDA program so I didn't expect much but it is very well put together and very fair if not advantageous to the producer. Some areas of the country are better than others but almost all are good. She explained that some of the vast sparsely populated areas like Utah and Wyoming don't work as well because of the lack of weather stations. Its not a perfect system by any means but it pays off way more times than you pay in.

Dave said:
A high in the 90's and a low around 45. That sounds like a lot of the weather we have had lately. Around 45-50 degrees at sunrise and mid 90's by about 3:00. Except this rain which you talk about....... What is that? Had a little thunder shower (0.2") a few weeks ago. Before that the last rain was early June.
Wow Dave! :eek: I can't believe you're getting more rain over there in the desert than we are on the coast side of the mountains. At least we don't usually get down to to 45 at night this time of year, but it does go down into the low 50's to low 60's most nights. I'm thankful for that. It sure beats places where it's 100+ in the days and 90+ at night. Plus we don't have the humidity, so for us 100 doesn't feel as bad as it does in other places.

Katpau said:
Dave said:
Wow Dave! :eek: I can't believe you're getting more rain over there in the desert than we are on the coast side of the mountains. At least we don't usually get down to to 45 at night this time of year, but it does go down into the low 50's to low 60's most nights. I'm thankful for that. It sure beats places where it's 100+ in the days and 90+ at night. Plus we don't have the humidity, so for us 100 doesn't feel as bad as it does in other places.
Just that one thunder shower. Those things are really localized. One hit Baker early last week. I was in town. I heard two big thunder claps and then the sky opened up. I drove for about 5 miles with my wipers on high. Then nothing. I never got a drop at my place. Neighbor B has drought insurance. He never got a drop July and August, so he says it will pay him well.

We got pretty good rain in late May and early June. Grass in the hills was green and doing good. Ran into a friend who ranches down at Fairwell Bend, which is 30 miles away. He asked how the grass was doing. He said it came too late for him. Mid June and all his range land was dried up. His grass never did grow this year.

It is a little cooler here but the wind is howling. They are saying 35 mph with gusts on the ridges at 60+. Thankfully we don't have any fires locally. There is one up by Omak WA that was 6,000 acres last night and is over 65,000 now. As dry as things are with this kind of wind a fire would be off to the races.
I was going to put tin roofing on the loafing shed I have been rebuilding. It was calm when I started. Just getting organized and rolling. Sheet #3 a gust came through and things got interesting for a minute or two. I decided to wait until tomorrow for sheet #4. The wind has just kept getting stronger. I see a cottonwood along the river is now laying in the field. Beaver might have helped thing. I will wait until the wind dies down before going to check it.

kenny thomas said:
Dave, one of my fire crew guys is on a fire at Post, Oregon. I think it was under control a couple days ago but maybe not now.
The Northwest Inter-agency Coordination Center map does not show a fire in that area so they must have got it out. I know there were several fires in that part of the state a few days ago.
Yesterday I was watching TV on the Cowboy Channel. Mason and Morse who are big fancy ranch realtors had a show on the Indian Creek ranch so for kicks I looked up on their website to see what the price was. They listed it as sold. 22,000 +/- acres deeded, 102,000 +/- acres BLM, 2,400 acres of irrigated hay fields . Well there is the Indian Creek fire that has been going for the last week. Burned 49,000 + acres and one house. Map of the fire and of the ranch sure look to be in the same area. I bet that new owner is real happy.

Almost 100 a couple days ago.
Gotta admit it was nice and warm this morning.
52 now and feels like its 40 below.
This is absolutely absurd!!!
I've got my winter coat on. Which reminds me, it's about time for a replacement.

MurraysMutts said:
Almost 100 a couple days ago.
Gotta admit it was nice and warm this morning.
52 now and feels like its 40 below.
This is absolutely absurd!!!
I've got my winter coat on. Which reminds me, it's about time for a replacement.

Same here. Did you also get rain?

It is 37 here right now. It is barely getting daylight out. The forecast is for a high of 77 today. Tomorrow they are saying 41 and 84. Friday through Monday goes back over 90 but I never looked at the forecast low. The 37/77 is normal weather for here this time of year. The 90+ later this week is a long hot summer just not wanting to give us a break. The 37 feels great to me. No coat needed.

Lol dave!
I used to be able to handle it well.
But when it goes from 100 to 48 in a couple days, I feel like Its 500 below zero.
When my fingers and toes get that cold, it's hard for me to stay warm

Latest posts