Friends new yearling bull what ya think?

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime":79vkovn7 said:
Show a pic of somebody holding a tape on that 40cm scrotal.
I was thinkin the same thing, and thought that the picture really must be horrible cuz sure don't look like he is hanging no 40cm scrotom!!

In my opinion, :cowboy: Nobody really knows the percentage of Black Angus blood in those black continental cattle. If they do why would they confess the semen Manipulation. You all would have to admit it was done a few times along the way. You got them blacks looking almost like Black Angus, just need a little more work. :clap:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I think Jovid's point is valid.

Although I don't understand where his math is coming from, I think his point is that after the F1 generation, you dont know what percentage you have. When you cross two baldies, you are most likely to have to have a 50% angus 50% hereford but you could (correct me if i'm wrong), genetically, have anywhere from 100% angus genes to 100% hereford genes. Parentage wise, you have half the genes from the sire and half from the dam but breed wise you really dont know.

It looks to me like if you had two animals that you knew for a fact were each 94% gelbvieh then, when mated, their offsring would be a minimun of 88% gelbvieh but would most likely be 94%.

mnmtranching":2ckmv6rp said:
In my opinion, :cowboy: Nobody really knows the percentage of Black Angus blood in those black continental cattle. If they do why would they confess the semen Manipulation. You all would have to admit it was done a few times along the way. You got them blacks looking almost like Black Angus, just need a little more work. :clap:
:lol2: Yes, they do know Minn man. DNA testing. And remember: crossbred is better than red!

True F1 crosses are easy. Bred up purebreds are a different story.Have to agree with mnm if you are going to use one that looks like one might as well just get one. But i here there is black char"s now.

ga. prime":3h613xmg said:
mnmtranching":3h613xmg said:
:lol2: Yes, they do know Minn man. DNA testing. And remember: crossbred is better than red!

I don't believe DNA testing can tell what % of the animal comes from the black breed that turned it that color.

Jovid":2g3bezy6 said:
ga. prime":2g3bezy6 said:
mnmtranching":2g3bezy6 said:

I don't believe DNA testing can tell what % of the animal comes from the black breed that turned it that color.

FOR SURE!! AND [oops sorry about the caps] How many Black continentals have been DNA tested?? :frowns: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, are we to say the Cowman30 is really TMB? It is TMB's website right?

On the subject of crossbreeding....I thought that the numbers show that crossbreeding gives hybrid vigor thus more pounds, etc. The best of both breeds? And three way is even better? Black or not. So, who would really care about % if the end result was good?

BARNSCOOP":3sf2ldcg said:
So, are we to say the Cowman30 is really TMB? It is TMB's website right?

On the subject of crossbreeding....I thought that the numbers show that crossbreeding gives hybrid vigor thus more pounds, etc. The best of both breeds? And three way is even better? Black or not. So, who would really care about % if the end result was good?

I'll answer your first question... Yes it is he is also the charming and recently banned twistedxranch.

KNERSIE":3akrtif3 said:
I'll answer your first question... Yes it is he is also the charming and recently banned twistedxranch.

Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so!

cfpinz":12s2mpnl said:
KNERSIE":12s2mpnl said:

Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so!

'fraid so, unless he deleted all his posts?!

I hope you guys will forgive me. I have been turned off by anything black. Fourtunely for me my calves are terminal and sold preslaughtered to individuals so color is of no importantance. It seems that in the race to achieve black hides that much quality has been lost in various breeds. Try as I have to own a popular black breed it seems as though all I am left with is junk. I have two reg. black cows that I have to cull this year of the same breed because they will let ANYTHING suck them. And remember the reg. black bull I bought last year.........his steaks are very big and very good. It has left me to feel that I would rather have anything that is not black. I look at it similiar to when a new dog movie comes out and everyone goes out and buys that breed of dog .Then the next thing you know people keep and sell all of that popular dog breed that should have been culled just because they are in demand. Crap rolls downhill and I have been on the bottom to many times. So, if this bull is Saler, Angus or whatever? He wouldn't appeal to me.

mnmtranching":2fkt6cok said:
Jovid":2fkt6cok said:
ga. prime":2fkt6cok said:

FOR SURE!! AND [oops sorry about the caps] How many Black continentals have been DNA tested?? :frowns: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Billions. Well, millions anyway. 100's maybe?

"Billions. Well, millions anyway. 100's maybe"

More like ummmmmmm .........2........maybe :???:

BARNSCOOP":v86yfbxu said:
I hope you guys will forgive me. I have been turned off by anything black. Fourtunely for me my calves are terminal and sold preslaughtered to individuals so color is of no importantance. It seems that in the race to achieve black hides that much quality has been lost in various breeds. Try as I have to own a popular black breed it seems as though all I am left with is junk. I have two reg. black cows that I have to cull this year of the same breed because they will let ANYTHING suck them. And remember the reg. black bull I bought last year.........his steaks are very big and very good. It has left me to feel that I would rather have anything that is not black. I look at it similiar to when a new dog movie comes out and everyone goes out and buys that breed of dog .Then the next thing you know people keep and sell all of that popular dog breed that should have been culled just because they are in demand. Crap rolls downhill and I have been on the bottom to many times. So, if this bull is Saler, Angus or whatever? He wouldn't appeal to me.

shitty ones come in all colors ;-)

Latest posts