Friends new yearling bull what ya think?

Help Support CattleToday:

I think it was VanC that said something really relevent that was totally ignored a page or 2 ago. If you cross an Angus with a Hereford you have an animal with a breed make up of 50% Angus and 50% Hereford. If you cross the offspring with say an angus, you will have an animal with a breed make up of 75% Angus and 25% Hereford. Percentages don't correspond to genetic differences because of course there are genes that aren't breed specific (in fact I think you will find most aren't breed specific). I find it hard to believe that people can attribute genes to one breed or another considering up until a few weeks ago we weren't entrirely sure what all the genes did... You guys are taking it out of context. All it took was for someone to say "50% angus genes etc etc" and you're arguing about how valid the percentages are re: genes.

Let me bold it again so people understand.
BREED PERCENTAGES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH "GENE-BREED ATTRIBUTION." IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE BREEDING.

A 75% Limo, 25% Angus goes to show that his breeding is Limo x LimoxAngus. Nothing more.

If a MG and a shorthorn cross do we write 25% Angus 75% Shorthorn? NO, we write 50% MG 50% Shorthorn, even though there are shared genes blah blah blah. Seriously if you can't realise percentage has everything to do with breed and nothing to do with genetics there is something wrong with you.

/rant

Latest posts