Freezing squash

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
If I wanted to freeze squash for stews, patties, whatever, do I need to remove the skin? I always do when I prepare it fresh.

Lammie,

I haven't put up any in a few years, but when I did I always blanched them, then froze them with the skins. Depending how many you have to put up, it could turn into quite a chore if you peeled them all.

I sure miss those fresh from the garden vegetables!

Yellow squash. pick them young to start with and wash them. Slice them and heet slowley in a pot with butter abd salt. When almost done, turn off the heet and when cooled. bag and freze

Wash, slice and coat with corn meal. Freez and eat within a year. Always turned out well for me. I think squash is one of those easy keepers.

We just slice and freeze on a cookie sheet in layers. Then place them in a baggie so they won't be stuck together and you can pull them out and fry them or use them in stew or any other way you like it fresh, except raw.
Have you ever made zucchini jam? It is great. Recipe on its on page.

WagaAgeyv":1ycea7cr said:
We just slice and freeze on a cookie sheet in layers. Then place them in a baggie so they won't be stuck together and you can pull them out and fry them or use them in stew or any other way you like it fresh, except raw.
Have you ever made zucchini jam? It is great. Recipe on its on page.

You know, I got to thinking about it, and that's what I did. Freezing it on a cookie sheet and then bagging it. I wanted to be able to use what I needed. I'm glad someone else did it this way.

Can you do the same thing with eggplant?

Latest posts