Birdhouse squash/gourd

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
I'm note sure if its a gourd or squash, but I have some that people make into birdhouses. Does anyone know how to do that? My neighbor that does is gone for awhile and I need to know if there is anything I need to do to them now.

Thanks for any ideas!

MM

MistyMorning":1i9xwlkk said:
I'm note sure if its a gourd or squash, but I have some that people make into birdhouses. Does anyone know how to do that? My neighbor that does is gone for awhile and I need to know if there is anything I need to do to them now.

Thanks for any ideas!

MM
Let them dry to the point you can shake the seeds inside. Cut a Hole in them about half way up and shake the seed out. Drill a hole in the neck close to where the stem was and hang it up with a wire. Also here is a link.
http://www.wnit.org/outdoorelements/pdf ... dhouse.pdf

It will take 6 months to a year (around here) for a birdhouse gourd to dry. I keep mine in a old corn crib and let nature take its course. They will get moldy and gross looking, but as long as they are hard and not mushy they will be okay. Do not poke or drill holes in them. Once they are dry (light as a feather really) you can drill a hole in them. I use a door hole drill. No need to clean it out, the birds like the stuff inside. The seeds won't always rattle either they sometimes stick to the sides.

Latest posts