yellow squash problems

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Last year and again this year, on both straight and crookneck squash, I'm seeing the fruit start to make, get about 2-3" long, then turn dark yellow and hard as a rock. Watered daily, fertilized with 12-0-12 when plants were about 2-3 weeks growth. (soil sample result comments said not to add any phosphorus for 5 years.) The plants themselves look healthy, tho a bit smallish.
Very very sandy soil.
I'm thinking maybe a pollination problem, but the 3 years before last year, I had so much squash I couldn't give it all away--used the same seeds brand and variety.
Any suggestions?

Sounds like they're not uptaking the phosphorus even though the soil contains sufficient levels.
I would try adding calcium to improve the uptake of the phosphorus. I use oyster shell or bone meal because I always have them around.
The bone meal will increase phosphorus however.

Are you growing any other cucurbits, or anything else for that matter, that is/are exhibiting similar signs of phosphorus or calcium deficiency? Your sandy soil could be causing some problems with nutrient availability as well. Add denser organic material whenever you can.

Fungal problem perhaps? we used to grow 2 acres of it, and we didn't give it away either!.. Cows ate the seconds though.

skyhightree1":31ye9pob said:
GB are you planting it in same spot each year?
Not my garden, this is the one I tilled up and planted for my brother-in-law after his heart surgery earlier in the year.

Soil was left fallow after last year's spring/summer garden and was mowed down every other week till the 1st frost. Added uneaten hay and composted cow manure after tilling, then tilled it in again.

greybeard":tf3y2ahj said:
skyhightree1":tf3y2ahj said:
GB are you planting it in same spot each year?
Not my garden, this is the one I tilled up and planted for my brother-in-law after his heart surgery earlier in the year.

Soil was left fallow after last year's spring/summer garden and was mowed down every other week till the 1st frost. Added uneaten hay and composted cow manure after tilling, then tilled it in again.

I had that happen not at the beginning stages but mid to end stages of growth I had planted it same spot few years in a row. I moved them and so far every year after moving they are good.

I've had similar problems with springtime plantings. I now plant my yellow squash around the first week of August. Another benefit I have noticed is no squash bugs with the late summer/fall batch. Zuchinni does fine but I haven't figured out what the problem is with yellow. All I know is same seed, same soil, same care and etc; I have the same problem you are having with a spring plant and not with a late plant. Makes no sense to me. Only my observation

Latest posts