Do you like fried squash?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you like fried squash?

• No, I have more respect for my body than to ruin perfectly good vegetables by cooking them in fat.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Depends on whether the squash was grown organically or not and the type of greese used to fry it.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Yes. I believe it is manna from heaven and the greese will acclimate my body to cholesterol thus ma

Votes: 50 84.7%
  • No can do. I played it at Yale and think it an impossibility to eat it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jogeephus":32yqdac6 said:
Pardon my ignorance but my culture only runs as deep as a frying pan. :oops: What's a frittata?

It's an Omlet that is about an inch thick and not turned. You put the base ingrediants,usually zuchinni or any squash and maybe some already cooked potatoes, in a skillet and fry them in butter and olive oil until they are al dente . Then pour 6 to 8 scrambled eggs over them. Instead of turning it you just lift the edges and a few spots around the middle with a fork and let the mixture run underneath. Use low heat so it doesn't burn. When all you have left that is not cooked is a "thin" layer on top you put it under the broiler for a few minutes until it looks mostly cooked. Then pull it out and sprinkle with grated or shredded Parmesean cheese and then arrange strips of mozerella and or provolone cheese on top. Then return to the oven long enough to melt the cheese. Cut in wedges like a pizza and eat. The neat thing about a Frittata is in addition to the base ingrediant it can contain anything you like or have left over.

Angus/Brangus":3pqmtwld said:
For some reason the fried squash made me think of the fried eggplant we have on occassion. Both are great!!!. I was assuming that Jogee was talking yellow gooseneck squash?

When I hear the word "squash", I assume that means yellow crooked neck squash unless someone corrects me. It all fries, though.

That frittata sounds good - I'mma going make some of that. Yellow crookneck is mostly what I grow. Have experimented with zucchini but my dad grew a bunch of it one year and we ate it every meal for what seemed like years. I tried fried dill pickles today. Thought they were zuch's but they weren't. These were good.

Favorite Zuchinni recipe:

Brown some bacon (cut in small pieces) in a large frying pan (wok type works great)
add fresh garlic to taste
add chopped onion
add fresh green pepper - red- yellow or all three
then add sliced zuchinni
then add fresh tomatoes

serve over spaghetti and top with parmeson cheese

CKC1586":2kpic755 said:

Brown some bacon (cut in small pieces) in a large frying pan (wok type works great)
add chopped onion
then add sliced zuchinni
then add fresh tomatoes

Sounds great. You sure you're not Italian???????

3waycross":1xnx60pq said:
CKC1586":1xnx60pq said:

add chopped onion
then add sliced zuchinni
then add fresh tomatoes

Sounds great. You sure you're not Italian???????

Would an Italian leave out the basil or olive oil? I don't think so. ;-)

[

Would an Italian leave out the basil or olive oil? I don't think so. ;-)[/quote]

My Northern Italian cousins don't eat either one. With them it's Butter and lots of it. When I try her recipe I'll substitute Pancetta or Prosciutto, for the bacon and use olive oil and also a little real butterThis almost sounds like it would be good with a little fresh Oregano and the Basil.

I'm curious Vett are you a closet epicure or just raised by eyetalians.

3waycross":3133v269 said:
[

My Northern Italian cousins don't eat either one. With them it's Butter and lots of it. When I try her recipe I'll substitute Pancetta or Prosciutto, for the bacon and use olive oil and also a little real butterThis almost sounds like it would be good with a little fresh Oregano and the Basil.

[/quote]
Well, I did leave out the seasonings didn't I?! Opps! I do ad a bit of oregano and basil along with salt and pepper. I don't season until the tomatoes go in. I don't use olive oil with the bacon, it gives you plenty of oil. Have made it with ham but we like it with the bacon better. Tried it with chicken breast (browned in olive oil) which was good but still like the bacon better.
I don't think there is any Italian in the background....mostly German and English. ;-)

3waycross":28jvzq2c said:
[

[/quote]

:lol: Nicht. Nicht. Squarehead German all the way. :nod: Greatgrandpa was born in Germany around 1833 and came the the US around 1854, settled and farmed in Austin County.

Forgot about oregano, maybe for an Italian their is no need to include basil, olive oil, and oregano in a recipe. Kind of like salt and pepper. :) Closet epicure, well lets just say I'm not going to go hungry.

1982vett":126e4f4g said:
Lammie":126e4f4g said:
ctlbaron":126e4f4g said:
Summer crookneck squash fried green tomatos. yeah boy.

Quit! You are making me hungry!

Sounds like the sticks and twig diet is working. :lol2:

I have a weigh in on Friday. I don't want to break training.

Lammie":1xubb4o1 said:
1982vett":1xubb4o1 said:
Lammie":1xubb4o1 said:
Quit! You are making me hungry!

Sounds like the sticks and twig diet is working. :lol2:

I have a weigh in on Friday. I don't want to break training.

What, exactly, are you training for? :help:

Fried squash? Never had it but my grandmother made fried eggplant quite a bit and it was goood!

Ever tried fried brocclli?? use onion ring batter..
Also,cook stewed squash really dry,fix cornbread stovetop stuffing,pat down in a cassarole dish,layer the squash over it,top with cheese,bake 'til bubbly.. If you did it right,it can be cut and served like a cake. If not,serve in a bowl,still good..

My mother makes a fritter out of either yellow squash or zuchinni. Grate the squash and some onion, mix in seasoning, bisquick and egg, skillet fry. And you can make zuchinni bread out of yellow squash, too.

It will be months before there are any fresh squash around here, I'm jealous! The first fresh vegetable of spring at our place will be asparagus, next month.

MO_cows":2b799og0 said:
The first fresh vegetable of spring at our place will be asparagus, next month.

I love asparagus. Not many people grow it here but I got a small plot of it. I also found a vein of wild asparagus in the ROW of a state highway. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Its on both sides of the road for over two miles. I go there sometimes and cut it. People just think I'm picking up cans or something cause most folks around here haven't a clue what it looks like.

Jogeephus":3ot8zgfe said:
MO_cows":3ot8zgfe said:
The first fresh vegetable of spring at our place will be asparagus, next month.

I love asparagus. Not many people grow it here but I got a small plot of it. I also found a vein of wild asparagus in the ROW of a state highway. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Its on both sides of the road for over two miles. I go there sometimes and cut it. People just think I'm picking up cans or something cause most folks around here haven't a clue what it looks like.

Have you been reading " Stalking the Wild Asparagus" by Euell Gibbons. Next you will be eating High Bush Cranberries. Slim Pickens said that Euell stayed all night with him and Slim said that Euell ate the tailgate out of the wagon.

I think Gibbens would eat pine cones and stuff like that too. Fresh asparagus is pretty expensive here. About $3 a bunch. Just don't seem right to buy it when the ditch is full of it and free for the taking. Best time to get it is about a week after the DOT mows the ROW.