Freezing corn on the cob

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I have an abundance of sweet corn this year and wanted to try and freeze some on the cob. I've read some people just trim both ends and freeze it right in the husk. No blanching or anything. I did 6 dozen that way last weekend, clipped the ends, vacuum sealed and froze them. I want to do another 12 or so dozen, but would like to hedge my bets in case freezing them in the husks doesn't turn out to well. I am planning to husk, blanch then vacuum seal another batch this weekend- it's more work that way, but unless someone has experience with freezing in the husks, I don't want to get too much put up if it won't be that good. So, has anyone froze corn in the husks? Thanks! ;-)

I haven't done them in the husk because it won't stop the enzyme action. Last time I did corn I microwave blanched them and was very pleased with the results. 6-8 ears at a time for about 5-6 minutes as I recall. I found it a lot easier than water blanching and didn't heat the house up like steam blanching.

I freeze it in the husk. Blanching is a total waste of time, makes no difference. There will be a bit of difference when you cook it when compared to a fresh cob, but there are ways around that. I roast or grill. I like lots of seasoning, cheese, with a little char....yummy. It also helps if you have a deep freeze with no defrost. I also freeze okra, tomato sauces and salsas. I freeze chopped onions for cooking, i store what i think we'll use fresh, i chop the rest and freeze. I've blanched, and not blanched, i cant tell the difference once cooked and there is nothing i know of you freeze and then eat fresh once thawed. Blanching is just too much trouble. I'm on a canning group on FB and most of them no longer blanch.

We had some 2 year old corn last night. It had been blanched and frozen and you couldn't tell it wasn't fresh. I'm a blancher I guess. I just like the taste of corn with butter and salt. Oh, I steam blanch too.

Don't know about freezing it, but if you cook it in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes in the husk. You can cut the bottom off grab the tassles and give it a little shake so the cob falls out. Zero tassles to deal with.

Cottage Farm, do you wrap the ears of corn in anything when you blanche in the microwave? Thanks for sharing the tip.

Jogeephus":3e37jhoy said:
We had some 2 year old corn last night. It had been blanched and frozen and you couldn't tell it wasn't fresh. I'm a blancher I guess. I just like the taste of corn with butter and salt. Oh, I steam blanch too.

Same here.

chippie":1mobju36 said:
Cottage Farm, do you wrap the ears of corn in anything when you blanche in the microwave? Thanks for sharing the tip.

I did, so sorry I forgot to mention that part. :oops: It was 2 years ago and my memory fails me some days. :help:
I put the ears in a glass pan. Covered them with moist paper towels then covered with plastic wrap. I was basically steaming them in the microwave. I really like this method for greens as well.

MSI, FWIW, the only time I did corn without blanching it 1st, it turned out starchy. It may have just been lousy or old corn where the sugars had started to break down, but it may have also been that the enzymes just kept breaking down sugars even after it was frozen. Since stopping those enzymes is one of the primary reasons to blanche veges, I've not tried any without blanching again.

CottageFarm":2ca5zrgt said:
chippie":2ca5zrgt said:

I did, so sorry I forgot to mention that part. :oops: It was 2 years ago and my memory fails me some days. :help:
I put the ears in a glass pan. Covered them with moist paper towels then covered with plastic wrap. I was basically steaming them in the microwave. I really like this method for greens as well.

MSI, FWIW, the only time I did corn without blanching it 1st, it turned out starchy. It may have just been lousy or old corn where the sugars had started to break down, but it may have also been that the enzymes just kept breaking down sugars even after it was frozen. Since stopping those enzymes is one of the primary reasons to blanche veges, I've not tried any without blanching again.

Thanks for the information. I,m gonna put up another 5 or so dozen this weekend. Going to blanch them this time. Doing it both ways will give me something to compare this winter. Thanks for the help!

I never tried freezing in the husk because, 1) takes up more freezer space, and 2) I don't want to do the work of husking every single time we eat corn. Do it all at once and it's ready to cook coming out of the freezer.

I used to always blanch, but this year I froze a bunch of ears without blanching them first. I used the vacuum sealer and have convinced myself the lack of oxygen will stop the enzyme action. I did blanch the ones I cut off the kernels for freezing.

How do you keep it from getting freezer burn ?
I always froze in the husk but that don't always work either

I blanch here too--in the husk takes up too much room for me, but the microwave thing sounds interesting.

What's a good, but reasonably priced vac sealer to look for?

I just husk wrap individual ears in saran wrap , pack in freezer bags and freeze, when I want fresh corn on the cob I just pull out what I want and put them wrapped in the microwave for 7 min and it tastes like fresh picked no blanching , been doing it that way for 20 something years
Suzanne

Latest posts