Strip tillage in the vegie garden.

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
So I wanted to have a vegie garden last year but it was a drought and I was time poor. Instead of forking over my whole garden I used a spade and just dug rows one line with the spade 30 inches apart. I planted beans corn, tomato down the rows and munched between them. When a crop finished I cut the top off let the plant material work as more mulch then I dug a new row beside the last 3 inches across. Ever time I dug a row I incorporated organic fertiliser.

It worked really well. At the end I dug the whole lot over and sowed a cover crop. Anyone ever tried something so silly? It was good fun.

I did it for a few years....only difference is I used a roto tiller with just the two center tines to turn the row....
the mulch is the key to building the soil....sometimes I put manure between the rows over the winter and mulched over top of it really built the soil....turned a sandy clay soil to a nice dark loam at least a foot down.
since it is just me now I don't fool with gardening any more...

Mat Man said:
My garden has enough grass to graze cattle.The deer eat everything else

If it's like here, you can't have a garden unless you fence deer out. Wasted effort without deer exclusion.

Probably 400 okra plants and I have not got a pod yet.
Next year will have a very hot fence around it.

Mat Man said:
Probably 400 okra plants and I have not got a pod yet.
Next year will have a very hot fence around it.
If you lived nearby, you could come pick mine. I have about 100 plants and I'm getting 5 gallons a week or more.
DSC02340.jpg

Latest posts