2024 summer garden..

Help Support CattleToday:

Mr. Trent tell me what you have in mind to plant this year.
I made my garden about half the size this year because I have plenty left over and just don't need it. I always put out potatoes, corn, green beans and they usually do good. Everything else like carrots, beets, okra, watermelons, radishes, cucumbers, squash, greens, cabbage, peanuts, peas, sweet potatoes, etc. I put out less. On Tomato's I will put out a few plants, but I can buy for less than I can grow and better quality. The same goes for broccoli. I always get in too big of a hurry and this year I am waiting to around the first of April, so the frost doesn't get some things and I have to replant.

I made my garden about half the size this year because I have plenty left over and just don't need it. I always put out potatoes, corn, green beans and they usually do good. Everything else like carrots, beets, okra, watermelons, radishes, cucumbers, squash, greens, cabbage, peanuts, peas, sweet potatoes, etc. I put out less. On Tomato's I will put out a few plants, but I can buy for less than I can grow and better quality. The same goes for broccoli. I always get in too big of a hurry and this year I am waiting to around the first of April, so the frost doesn't get some things and I have to replant.
Nice... We got more rain lol maybe I'll grow rice

I'm going to only try cantaloupes and a LOT of jalapeno since jalapeno appears to be the only thing deer won't devour and the melons will have to be behind 6' wooden privacy fences to keep them safe from deer.

Usual spring garden is peas potatoes and onions. Then cabbage and lettuce. Summer is beans, tomatoes, corn, okra, melon, cukes, parsley, beets, sweet potatoes, zucchini and squash. Fall is a just turnips, kale and collards broadcast or red clover and hairy vetch as cover crop.

We expanded in 2020 and also have too many potatoes and canned tomatoes. Also my wife and I are trying to eat less carbs so that doesn't help, even if we finally gave in and bought an air fryer for those tasty fried potatoes. So less potatoes and tomatoes.

The sweet potatoes have no uniformity they are either massive or small. So thinking of dropping.

We are adding brocolini, radishes, summer lettuces, kohlrabi. We need more ideas. Need to figure out how to get zucchini that doesn't fall over and die w wilt too.

Last edited:
Didn't soil test last year so used my quick home test.. trying to get it right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_153309540.jpg
    IMG_20240214_153309540.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 8
Usual spring garden is peas potatoes and onions. Then cabbage and lettuce. Summer is beans, tomatoes, corn, okra, melon, cukes, parsley, beets, sweet potatoes, zucchini and squash. Fall is a just turnips, kale and collards broadcast or red clover and hairy vetch as cover crop.

We expanded in 2020 and also have too many potatoes and canned tomatoes. Also my wife and I are trying to eat less carbs so that doesn't help, even if we finally gave in and bought an air fryer for those tasty fried potatoes. So less potatoes and tomatoes.

The sweet potatoes have no uniformity they are either massive or small. So thinking of dropping.

We are adding brocolini, radishes, summer lettuces, kohlrabi. We need more ideas. Need to figure out how to get zucchini that doesn't fall over and die w wilt too.
Eggplants... cucumbers?

Wife started a few things in starters in the basement until last frost. Last year was too dry and was a failure! Just waiting for the spring......

Are you growing your 4 Marijuana plants your allowed to grow? You and jltrent should do it.
For anyone wondering, in VA we are allowed to grow 4 plants per year for personal use. I doubt even Willy Nelson would use 4 plants a year. But we cant sell it or give it away.

A neighbor is exercising their rights close by. The new owners just past Yeller Branch. That little hot house stays lit 24/7.

Are you growing your 4 Marijuana plants your allowed to grow? You and jltrent should do it.
For anyone wondering, in VA we are allowed to grow 4 plants per year for personal use. I doubt even Willy Nelson would use 4 plants a year. But we cant sell it or give it away.

LOL I thought it was 4 plants per adult

Latest posts