Sweet corn seeds wth...

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been having some trouble growing red onions the last couple of years. They mature nicely and look great, but when you open them up they have a layer or two that is rotten and decomposing. It's easy enough to separate out the bad part, but I've always gotten good onions before this. Too much water? Soil not draining? Those are my first thoughts. Any ideas?

I've been having some trouble growing red onions the last couple of years. They mature nicely and look great, but when you open them up they have a layer or two that is rotten and decomposing. It's easy enough to separate out the bad part, but I've always gotten good onions before this. Too much water? Soil not draining? Those are my first thoughts. Any ideas?
Your idea of to much water and soil not draining are probably solid ideas. Are they mulched to heavily? There is also a bacteria that can get in the soil and infect the onions causing the problem you describe. Maybe rotate where you plant onions if you put them in the same spot every year. Keep an eye on them during growing season and pull any infected ones and dispose of them at a distance from your opinion patch.

Latest posts