Sweet corn tips, pointers, suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm late to the party, but do not spray Accent on sweet corn. Prime is right, atrazine is good and cheap. Probably the cheapest chemical program for sweet corn is 2# each of atrazine and simazine at planting. Problem is, atrazine is restricted use, you have to have a license to buy it. Also, sweet corn is not nearly as tough as field corn, no-till on it is not the best idea, and I'm a diehard no-tiller. Urea or Ammonium nitrate for N, also don't forget about P and K.

rnh2":2qs6db9a said:
What other crops are good money makers?

Pot is the only thing you can plant and turn a profit on right now. If it's irrigated. But once the government finishes legalizing it across the country there won't be any money in growing pot either, unless they subsidize it based on historical yields, which would incriminate the grower because at the time the base was created it was still illegal :lol2:

SJB":2g46zzp2 said:
Anybody ever use corn gluten meal to fertilize with?
A lot of the organic folks use it. Makes a good fertilizer because it is high in nitrogen but also works well for weed control in lawns etc as a pre-emergent. Will keep all seeds from germinating.

JMJ, us po folks can forget about growing pot. Illinois "legalized" marijuana, and our county seat was selected for a growing facility. The law was passed, and the selection was made shortly after, awarded to a Chicago group. I live about 45 minutes from Kentucky, and 5 hours from Chicago, which those of us downstate don't claim. Anyway, they build this monster facility, owned by Chicago, and so far have hired one local to work there. Almost no money is being put into the local economy, it's politics as usual, the rich get richer, and you know the rest! Moral of the story, we'll have to stick to sweet corn to make money, at least legally.

Latest posts